Martin commits to Michigan

The hate is just stupid. When BF puts a good product on the field, more recruits will come. You only get one shot at playing D1 with one shot meaning 4 years. It will take a couple of those to figure out what things are at Iowa. KF brought this on. No one else.

If you were a kid who was recruited by Jim would you pass it up for a team that has shown they can't pass and hire a line coach as your main coach? Seriously? Would you rather fail at Iowa or Michigan right now? If you succeed would you rather play for a team that will eventually be pass oriented or a team that likely would rather run first and use the forward pass as an after thought until they proved different than that. Wish the kid well.

No huge hawk fan would make the choice to leave. Dude never wanted to be a hawk.

Look, these guys really look at their best path to the NFL over their fandom for a team. That's what it really comes down to for many college players. Currently, Michigan looks to be a better path for him than Iowa.

The Martin's were upset Iowa offered so late, most likely cost Iowa. Source: Martin family member
They were so upset that they still came to almost all the home games this year... That's what burns me. I bet Howe can tell us how many he attended on 'unofficial visits' It was a lot of them.
So he's going to be the 3rd banana in his class going to Michigan. Not to mention be behind whatever the roster currently has ahead of him plus they'll recruit studs behind him that could leap frog him... To play in an offense that is a pro style and runs the ball almost as much as Iowa does along with the depth chart they'll have just seems like a bad play for him.... I'll be surprised and pretty darn impressed if he emerges as any kind of a stud there. Which would only burn our arses more.... But I don't think that'll be the case he'll be just an afterthought there when it's all said and done.

Anyone who would play for Jim Hairball if they have any other options is out of their minds. That egomaniac would throw anyone under the bus if given the chance, he can't be trusted. The Iowa program keeps it's promises to players even if they have career ending injuries. Iowa also does a great job in developing talent. KMM, Dallas Clark, and Kevin Kasper are proof of that. On top of that it's a great college town, and a top not academic institution. If I got a scholarship offer to play football at the University of Iowa I would take it no matter who else offers me.

Anyone who would play for Jim Hairball if they have any other options is out of their minds. That egomaniac would throw anyone under the bus if given the chance, he can't be trusted. The Iowa program keeps it's promises to players even if they have career ending injuries. Iowa also does a great job in developing talent. KMM, Dallas Clark, and Kevin Kasper are proof of that. On top of that it's a great college town, and a top not academic institution. If I got a scholarship offer to play football at the University of Iowa I would take it no matter who else offers me.

You had to stretch pretty far back with those names. Weren't 2 of them not recruited by KF? I also would ask JR how things turned out. It's upsetting for sure. You can also mention A Rob, Weiger, the QB from Keokuk whose career foundered. Jimmy has yet to be proven a fraud. You can be really good at Iowa and maybe never get a chance. Right now JH seems to many kids to be the ticket to getting better and be relevant.

On a serious note, could you imagine kids that are highly recruited...the peer pressure NOT to play at Iowa? If you can't play where it matters at WR I guess you can always play at Iowa.

I don't think many of you realize no matter how good BF may be or turn out to be, he has a lot to prove. For the passing game, right now it's like going to a used car dealership who has a reputation for selling lemons and expecting something else. Prove it wrong. That will take some time.

It saddens me to read people slamming 17/18 year old kids that are making decisions that impact the rest of their lives. If my son turns into a D1 recruit and gets multiple offers I want him to make the best decision for him, not some fan base that thinks loyalty should trump everything else. Right now Iowa is not the premier destination for top wide receivers.

Good luck Oliver, I hope you go on to have lots of success. Just not against Iowa.

West High graduate who played for Hawkeyes:

Yea, people who aren't big fans of their hometown team. There are people like AJ who dream of playing for their favorite team and don't outgrow their dream. Here's to hoping he's nothing like AJ on the field either.

Nah. Give Lil Ferentz a break. He's dragging around a ball and chain and it ain't his wife.

Relax. Deano said it was an awesome hire and well deserved.
Or maybe he said no one was more deserving?
Or maybe he said no one was more qualified?
Perfect fit??
Hell I don't remember exactly but in Deano We Trust.
I'm guessing the in Deano we trust isn't sarcasm 'cause there isn't an emoji? I don't trust any KF mouthpiece.

Last edited:
I keep seeing people say a good receiver shouldn't go to a school who sucks at throwing the ball. We sucks at throwing the ball because we don't have good receivers. Getting good players fixes the sucking part. Vandy caught plenty I passes. McNutt caught plenty of passes. If Martin is good, he would have caught plenty of passes. If he isn't good, he wouldn't have caught plenty of passes at iowa. Or seen the field at Michigan.

The Martin's were upset Iowa offered so late, most likely cost Iowa. Source: Martin family member
Imagine how pissed they would have been if Michigan stopped recruiting him because they were good with the WRs they had committed...and then when those commitments were in doubt they took him off the back burner. Oh wait...

I'm a Hawk fan, but if I was a WR, would I want to play for Iowa? With this offense - NO. Now maybe if I was a RB, OL or something, sure. But not as a QB or WR. Just like how I wouldn't have wanted to play for Todd Lickliter..

At least for me, there would be more to it than simple fandom.. I find it hard to believe that many recruits wouldn't also feel this way. The ones with a lot of scholarship offers, that is.

Latest posts