Martin commits to Michigan

Kirk has started another policy...

#1...if a recruit commits, they can't visit or talk to other schools...unless Iowa is trying to get players from places like Kent State or Northern Illinois.

(new) #2...Future WR recruits will be prohibited from watching any Iowa games either in person or on tape, prior to their commitment.

Obviously Martin spent time watching the hideous passing attack of Iowa...and took a pass.

Kirk has started another policy...

#1...if a recruit commits, they can't visit or talk to other schools...unless Iowa is trying to get players from places like Kent State or Northern Illinois.

(new) #2...Future WR recruits will be prohibited from watching any Iowa games either in person or on tape, prior to their commitment.

Obviously Martin spent time watching the hideous passing attack of Iowa...and took a pass.

ea2c3449f48f0ba561556f6a11f3a357.jpg

Lots of people assuming this decision was a football one. Maybe just maybe the kid wants to get out on his own away from his parents for the first time in his life?

Since all of the reasons for him not going to Iowa/going to Michigan stated here are completely speculative, I'll offer mine - maybe he didn't want to come to Iowa out of fear of failure; local kid doesn't make good. He can go to Michigan and do well or not do well, but without the extra spotlight and pressure of trying to be the next Tim Dwight, a strata he'd never fulfill and thus be labeled a failure or at least, never measured up - too much for him to handle.

Since all of the reasons for him not going to Iowa/going to Michigan stated here are completely speculative, I'll offer mine - maybe he didn't want to come to Iowa out of fear of failure; local kid doesn't make good. He can go to Michigan and do well or not do well, but without the extra spotlight and pressure of trying to be the next Tim Dwight, a strata he'd never fulfill and thus be labeled a failure or at least, never measured up - too much for him to handle.
Maybe... If that's the case then he's too chicken to take on that type of challenge then so be it. He's going to have his work cut out for him to get on the field now. Michigan is loaded at WR. I'm pretty surprised they are as loaded at that spot as they are. It's not like Harbaugh airs it out either they want to be about as balanced as we are. So with as many as 3 or 4 stud receivers begging for touches I wonder how many Oliver will even get let alone how early on...

And he stated this where?

He didn't. I heard it months ago from a close source.
I think I even posted it on here way back when I found out he wasn't coming to Iowa.

I know that means nothing to you, as it's just a rumor.
But I certainly did hear it.

I have seen nothing from Oliver or his sister that would indicate that they are afraid of competition. If anything, they crave it.

Actually, the reason (I heard) was Iowa doesn't develop receivers. Slight defense.

They haven't done well with development of wrs, ever really, but it's been really stark the last few years. Everyone knows that. Martin knew that before taking a single visit here.

That's why I question it being much of a factor.

I have seen nothing from Oliver or his sister that would indicate that they are afraid of competition. If anything, they crave it.
No reason to doubt you on this, but not the same thing. Again, it's just speculation. No ill will to him going to Michigan. Every kid needs to do what he feels is best for him.

I'll reiterate that while not great, I don't believe WR talent is as big of a problem as scheme and routes have been, especially recently.

Latest posts