Marcus Coker is Gone

Do you really think it should be hard for Iowa to recruit Illinois? Seriously? That is the biggest load of crap there is! So sick of people touting that he pulls in recruits from our backyard!

The Illini have not had much Chicago success. Don't underestimate our presence there....If it's not difficult, why does our bball team struggle to penetrate the Chicago market?

edit:
Wisky is another team that does not pull much talent from Chicago...

"Just fine" at offensive guard is what you want from a 2nd or 3rd round draft picks. It is not what you want from the #2 overall pick.

Yeah maybe. I think people wanted to make him out as a big bust but despite playing on very poor teams and seeing a number of different coaches he has done very well. I'd still put him up against the best and will never say he didn't perform in the NFL. He has had a long career as a starter in the NFL and is a success.

I'm just stating a fact that our O-Line was undersized the past couple seasons. Bulaga is somewhet standard size, and one of the bigger guys on the 2009 team. He's one of the smallest OL on the Pack, one reason they kept him at RT. There were several DL's that outweighed our OL and it showed. Skill only goes so far.

No you we trying to sound like Billy Bada$$, like you actually know something about being a lineman.

Note how I said can't handle being second fiddle.

I think weakening the rules weakens your program and school
How about expecting a young man to respect the rules the rest of us have/had to face as students or adults. Quit looking for excuses most of these guys don't deserve the chances they are getting. If you cry over these guys screwing upyou will encourage them to never grow up.

What did Coker do to break rules? What did Wegher do to break rules? What about Hampton, Brinson, Pugh? The only RBs that are known to have broke rules was Robinson, McCall and Coker. We don't know what rules they broke or what they did (Aside from Robinson).
Maybe the rules are too strict, I don't know. But something has to be done to keep players here. It seemed quite apparent that the football staff didn't agree with Coker's suspension. Maybe, just maybe something needs to change.
Player attrition is what ran Lickliter out of town. Ferentz is heading down that path.

Another nail on KF's coaching coffin.

It is time for Ferentz to move on. It really, truly is. The program is clearly not healthy, and it's not improving. He drives away more talent than he brings in. It's really disappointing and frustrating as a fan.

what??? fu for giving him 85% of the carries? Iowa was loyal almost to a fault. no fu's to Iowa.

If he feels he was suspended over something that wasn't really a big deal, then it's more of an FU to the university, not the athletic department.

Sally Mason didn't give him 85% of the carries. And Kirk Ferentz wasn't the one who suspended him.

Not defending just wondering what you expect is going to happen. You break rules or you can't handle being second fiddle so you bail.or nicely asked to move on. Do you want no rules? You had a kid who was a supposed smart kid who couldn't follow rules. Whose fault is this besides his own. Easy thing here, follow rules and nothing bad will happen to you.
What did Coker do to break rules? What did Wegher do to break rules? What about Hampton, Brinson, Pugh? The only RBs that are known to have broke rules was Robinson, McCall and Coker. We don't know what rules they broke or what they did (Aside from Robinson).Maybe the rules are too strict, I don't know. But something has to be done to keep players here. It seemed quite apparent that the football staff didn't agree with Coker's suspension. Maybe, just maybe something needs to change. Player attrition is what ran Lickliter out of town. Ferentz is heading down that path.

hampton, brinson - injury
mccall - team rules
wegher - doesnt know how to wrap it and stupidity
robinson - drugs
coker - school rules? not completely sure cause we thought he would come back.

some things cant be helped. we need to look into a few things 1) position coach 2) life coach 3) head coach 4) team and school rules.

i am not for wholesale rules but i think that #4 is out because you have to have standards so the kids can deal with it. #3 i think he has shown to be very loyal to players and coaches so that is probably the kids fault if they get kicked off or decide to leave. #1 & #2 these two should be your 1st line of defense and this is becoming a trend with erb and #2 was done to because of the wr trend and now it has happened to erbs group again. maybe both guys need to be replaced. i dont know but that is my take.

of the players ive listed only robinson was actually kicked off the team which makes me think the players need to learn to adapt to the situation rather than think it should adapt to you.

Lester Erb was the position coach for Douglass, Cleveland, and Bowman. He was reassigned and the attrition at the position stopped. He got moved to RB and Wegher, ARob, Jewel, Pugh, Brinson, Coker and McCall all leave the program. Sometimes players need a mentor or roll model. This guy clearly isn't it.
I'm on board with this. Erb can be easily replaced. It's time.

Here's what we know, Ferentz suspended him, he (coker) face-booked that he didn't do what he was accused of, and quit. Here's what we know, he quit, which seems totally out of his normal character to do. It's disappointing and now the program and he get to move on separately, end of story.

Funny how you guys can come up with ONE guy from different teams that left their program.
Carr, I am with you. I hate that people keep bringing up other schools and saying that everyone loses players. They are right, lots of schools do lose players. But at Iowa they keep occurring at the same position. That does not happen at other schools. I would ask anyone on the board defending the player attirtion at RB to cite another example of a school that has lost 7 players at one position in the last 3 years. Good luck.

To go one further, even if there were a few other schools that has this big of a problem at one position doesn't mean we don't have a problem. It's like some people think the only way this can be a problem is if we are way worse of then any other school in the entire nation. Even if there were 5 schools that had bigger attrition then us at one position doesn't mean being the 6th worst school at keeping players isn't a problem

Some of you guys are comical. Hey let's blame everyone at Iowa for players disciplinary problems except the players who make the mistakes.... Lol come on guys are you serious? Get a freaking grip.

Has Iowa had an unusual number of players leave the program? Yes, specially at the RB position.

Trust me I understand the frustration. However, the only ones making stupid mistakes are the players who screw it up. Ferentz didn't take the condom off of Weghers willy... He didn't pass the pipe to ARob, he didn't chop up a line for DJK, and he certainly didn't burn Cokers books and tell him not to study. Some of you are ridiculous.

The U of I suspended him...not Ferentz.

Here's what we know, Ferentz suspended him, he (coker) face-booked that he didn't do what he was accused of, and quit. Here's what we know, he quit, which seems totally out of his normal character to do. It's disappointing and now the program and he get to move on separately, end of story.

That's actually a good question and I don't really know aside from just looking at some of the B1G teams and a few other top teams who have kept their star RB's at their school aside from NFL departures. WI has never had a starting guy leave like this, nor do I remember it from OSU, Illinois, Michigan, MSU or Penn St. Similarly, Bama had their top guys in there (Ingram for several seasons, then Richardson), LeMichael James hasn't lef Oregon, etc.

May be good to research though and see if we really are an outlier or if maybe it happens more often then not.

R U serious......Did you forget Maurice Clarett or Legarrette Blount. Or how about all the recent TB suspensions for tOSU?

Wisconsin lost a good Rber in Zach Brown and I guarantee have lost more than you or I can remember and don’t forget they had a TB stab years back by his girlfriend. Same goes with all those top tier teams you mentioned and LSU in particular has been a factory for TB after TB over the years. Lose a guy run another one in….OU lost several this past year, etc, etc, etc…

And YOU are going to tell someone to do some research…really??! By the by our O-line weight wasn’t an issue.

Latest posts