looking forward

Just curious for those of you who have seen them play...any chance AW could play the 4 spot with Olaseni staying at the 5? Where is the lack of an offensive skill set the least important?

Also, it wasn't the Woodbury commit that made people call Olaseni a project, it's his lack of offensive skills. From the time Okaseni visited up to the day he committed fans called him a long term project... Offensively. We were all still stoked he is a hawkeye, we will still cheer for him and support him. It would be great if Gabe proves me wrong and averages 20 and thus year, even next year, but I won't hold my breath

I'm not going to call Gabe the second coming of Hakeem, but he's better than you're giving him credit for. From what I saw of him in the PTL, he's got some decent low post moves, soft hands and great footwork. I don't see him ever being a go-to guy on the block, but it's not like the guy will just be taking up space down low.

And yes, he'll rebound, play good D and run the floor very well.

i see because he is not being looked by the NBA out of school he is going to be a low level player, the scouting services for HS don't go overseas, they stay in the states to evaluate players, and who needs a center patrolling the peremiter shooting 17-22's all game, where it takes him away from the basket, also just for the record the biggest knock on Woodbury is his shooting range, and last season his ft avg was 35%, that's Archie type shooting along with range from 15', and doesn't use his height to intimidate shots, yeah as a inside scorer and rebounder, he's great, as for Olaseni, his range is 15' can shoot FT and is a defensive oriented player that goes after rebounds AND blks, now who should start a highly rated player that scores, rebounds, but that shoots 35% from the FT and doesn't use their height to alter shots or does a defensive mind player that has the same range and is a very good FT shooter? the write up on ESPN on strength and weakness are there for the reading, maybe you should read both players write ups

Last edited:
i see because he is not being looked by the NBA out of school he is going to be a low level player, the scouting services for HS don't go overseas, they stay in the states to evaluate players, and who needs a center patrolling the peremiter shooting 17-22's all game, where it takes him away from the basket, also just for the record the biggest knock on Woodbury is his shooting range, and last season his ft avg was 35%, that's Archie type shooting along with range from 15', and doesn't use his height to intimidate shots, yeah as a inside scorer and rebounder, he's great, as for Olaseni, his range is 15' can shoot FT and is a defensive oriented player that goes after rebounds AND blks, now who should start a highly rated player that scores, rebounds, but that shoots 35% from the FT and doesn't use their height to alter shots or does a defensive mind player that has the same range and is a very good FT shooter? the write up on ESPN on strength and weakness are there for the reading, maybe you should read both players write ups

Why do you care so much what player posters on the internet think will start NEXT YEAR? They will compete, and it will sort itself out. You continue to rail on those who think Woodbury will be better as "star gazers". You do realize that you are basing your opinions on Olesani with other peoples opinions, and what they have written. So wouldn't it stand to reason that if you are trusting others in what they have written about Olesani, and those same people view Woodbury as better, why wouldn't you trust them on that opinion also? It isn't like you are the one scouting both of these guys and coming up with your own opinion. All you are doing is reading what others have observed

I personally trust Fran's eye for talent. I think they will both be good, and hopefully this will give us much needed depth at the C position. Either way it will be decided on the court, and not on these here interwebs.....:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Why do you care so much what player posters on the internet think will start NEXT YEAR? They will compete, and it will sort itself out. You continue to rail on those who think Woodbury will be better as "star gazers". You do realize that you are basing your opinions on Olesani with other peoples opinions, and what they have written. So wouldn't it stand to reason that if you are trusting others in what they have written about Olesani, and those same people view Woodbury as better, why wouldn't you trust them on that opinion also? It isn't like you are the one scouting both of these guys and coming up with your own opinion. All you are doing it reading what others have observed

I personally trust Fran's eye for talent. I think they will both be good, and hopefully this will give us much needed depth at the C position. Either way it will be decided on the court, and not on these here interwebs.....:rolleyes:
I'm sorry,but Dragonhawk will never understand this.....makes too much sense.

oh i understand, people use the stars to justify their claims on who or who will not succeed, as to who tells me their opinion on Olaseni are people who cover sports for a living, one of which used to coach AAU ball, and i will take his opinion over anybody on these boards

oh i understand, people use the stars to justify their claims on who or who will not succeed, as to who tells me their opinion on Olaseni are people who cover sports for a living, one of which used to coach AAU ball, and i will take his opinion over anybody on these boards
And the opinions of experts that have seen Woody play aren't valid?

Can't have both here.

my point is that you have said Woodbury will be the starter from day one, and it is because of his stars, and Olaseni won't because of his lack of stars, as for the 15 minutes i don't here like some and watch the clock for responses. as for time i have waited for over a half a day for some to answer me how a kid is to get evaluated over seas, the NBA send their scouts all over the world , recruiting services send them to AAU events, so i will ask again "how does he get evaluated overseas to get the stars"

Last edited:
I really like the videos of Meyer that I've seen Husky28, he will add both size and versatility to our frontcourt not to mention the extra competition that will be there between him, Olaseni, Woodbury for minutes at the 5 but those 3 will also compete with Basabe, White and McCabe for minutes at the 4... Conclusion is that this flux of talent and finally size (which has been nonexistent in Hawkeye ball for years) is going to push everyone on the team to improve a lot more than in previous years where we've had an Exodus of players each spring.

And yes, this includes Gessell, Ingram, Clemmons, competing for minutes at both guard spots as well as the ongoing competition between Marble and May for minutes at the 2/3 while White, McCabe and Basabe will add extra competition for minutes at the 3. Everyone will benefit and get better, Oglesby too. I haven't been this excited about Hawkeye basketball since Recker and Evans played together

my point is that you have said Woodbury will be the starter from day one, and it is because of his stars, and Olaseni won't because of his lack of stars, as for the 15 minutes i don't here like some and watch the clock for responses. as for time i have waited for over a half a day for some to answer me how a kid is to get evaluated over seas, the NBA send their scouts all over the world , recruiting services send them to AAU events, so i will ask again "how does he get evaluated overseas to get the stars"

Dude! You really need to relax... :rolleyes:

The 15 minutes was in response to you getting upset when someone didn't respond to you within 42 minutes. Just go reread your posts at the beginning of this thread and you might catch up to the joke that was being put into play here. Wow! You might want to lay off the hooch this early in the afternoon... if you're old enough. :rolleyes:

its also amazing how stormin did 180 on his opinions of stars concerning Woodbury, and for the record he is not part of the discussion, i already stated he earned the praise he has gotten, and the people that i talk to are vary high on him and feel if he had committed to UNC he would have vaulted into the top 2o and a 5* in the McD AA game

I really like the videos of Meyer that I've seen Husky28, he will add both size and versatility to our frontcourt not to mention the extra competition that will be there between him, Olaseni, Woodbury for minutes at the 5 but those 3 will also compete with Basabe, White and McCabe for minutes at the 4... Conclusion is that this flux of talent and finally size (which has been nonexistent in Hawkeye ball for years) is going to push everyone on the team to improve a lot more than in previous years where we've had an Exodus of players each spring.

And yes, this includes Gessell, Ingram, Clemmons, competing for minutes at both guard spots as well as the ongoing competition between Marble and May for minutes at the 2/3 while White, McCabe and Basabe will add extra competition for minutes at the 3. Everyone will benefit and get better, Oglesby too. I haven't been this excited about Hawkeye basketball since Recker and Evans played together

Yeah... Even though this season may not play out as we would like, Fran has done a very nice job of injecting excitement into the future of Iowa MBB. One of the positives coming from this influx of talent, it'll allow some to develop at a rate that fits them and not get thrown into the lion's den until they've made the adjustments needed at this level. Hopefully, it'll make it easier for the team to absorb any issues (academic or personal) that are most likely to occur...

we have more and better talent than we have had in years, the versatility of the players will make the team better, the fact i believe Olaseni will be a big part of the puzzle, White will be the wild card with his ability to play the 3-4 and the 5 in a pinch, Cartwright can spend the majority of the time at the pt, Gatens can spend most of the time at the sg, Marble ended the season at sf and will probably start there this season, plus he will not be needed to bounce all over the place, one other note on Marble he could be the starter at the 2 the following year, Basabe is a given at the pf, unless Brommer has fully recovered Olaseni will get the nod, Olaseni brings a athletic item to the center position that has not been here for awhile, he can run the floor like a deer, rebounds and bring the intimidation factor in altering shots without blocking them, scoring will be there to compliment the outside shooting the others will bring not to mention keeping DBL team off of Basabe

backups;

Olgesbe is capable of playing the 1-2 an 3 but need weights and will be the primary backup to Cartwright

May brings athletic ability and the ability to the 2-3 and 4, plus the upper class of being a jr

White bring the ability of playing the 3-4 and 5, and will be competing with May for the starting job at the 3 his sophamore year

Archie is improving and is athletic, he will be a good backup, at the 4 as well

McCabe can play the 3 and 4, but will be the main backup to Basabe

Brommer if completely healthy will start if not he will be the primary backup to Olaseni

that is how i and others see them

Last edited:
its also amazing how stormin did 180 on his opinions of stars concerning Woodbury, and for the record he is not part of the discussion, i already stated he earned the praise he has gotten, and the people that i talk to are vary high on him and feel if he had committed to UNC he would have vaulted into the top 2o and a 5* in the McD AA game

That is so wrong on what Stormin did it is funny.

i thought so ,says one thing that he is not a star gazer, then says somebody is better because of the stars, real funny, but i got to admit he doesn't have the guts to stick up for himself and let people like you continue the conversation; yup real comical for a person that talks out of both sides of his mouth

False. I said Adam would start from Day One because he is better than Gabe. You are the one bringing up stars.

Gabe was in the states for a year, he was able to be viewed by scouts. Again, if he was a Top 50 type of player he would have gotten plenty of press and evaluations. Plenty of overseas kids can get ranked in the Top 150. Just because Gabe is from the UK doesn't mean he can't have been evaluated.

Last edited:

180?

Um... what?

For example, Steven Adams is a Top 5 recruit, committed to Pitt.
How is in the Top 5 if he's from New Zealand? Weird, right?

Latest posts