looking forward

yeah very weird since ESPN shows him with a score of 40 and no ranking, so by who's site is he rated as the #5 player in the nation

I think everyone is looking at this the wrong way. I've said this before but perhaps a reminder is needed.

How do I make an offense-minded Woodbury even better? I make him work every practice against a defensive-minded Oleseni who then also grows by learning those same offensive moves in hopes of stopping him. Point guard now falls into that same category.

How do I get Gatens to finish strong at the hole? Let Zach body him up in practice.

How do I get Marble to step up his game? I put him head to head with May and vice versa.

I could make similar arguments for everyone else but hopefully you get the point.

It's not just practice, it's now having potential starters squaring off against another potential starter. Two years ago they could barely go 3vs3 midway through the year due to injuries or transfers, etc. Last season through the help of grey team walk-ons they could at least go 5 on 5. This season I say we have 3 positions with starter vs starter scenario while next year it hopefully goes up to 5 which is when the program takes another big step forward.

It is difficult to say one player is just better than another, when neither has played a college game. Going off of tape you can say a lot by evaluation, but still it would be difficult simply because it is unproven without playing a college minute. Whether it is Gessel v Clemmons or Olaseni v Woodbury.... As for Woodbury vs Olaseni, I have only seen one of the two play, and he appears to be getting better quickly. If the other turns out to be better than him, then that is #@*%ing awesome!

Either way it is great to be a Hawkeye! Thank you Fran!

Regarding "stars", I'll say this much:

No, it doesn't in any way mean that every 4* recruit will be better than any 3* recruit, so a star-rating is anything but gospel. But stars DO matter to a pretty large degree IMO.

Just go back and look at Iowa's past recruiting classes, and you'll see that most of the 4* players we've gotten have been our better players on the court - Brunner, Haluska, Horner, Smith, Pierce, Gatens, etc.

Not that we haven't had productive 2-3* players over that same stretch, but generally speaking, our best players have mostly been the 4* guys.

That doesn't mean there aren't overlooked players out there, but it's a pretty basic indicator of a player's level of talent. How much they develop is a different topic. A 2-3* player might have further to go, but can still develop into a very good player. But I have no logical reason to expect a 2* player to out-perform a 4* player when I have seen neither one play.

gee like rivals is the end all of recruiting service, i don't like rivals Gesel dropped into the 80's after committing to Iowa after being in the 70's, he is still in the top 75 on ESPN, i will be watching to see if Woodbury stays pr drop out of the top 50 on their board their ranking are ok but i ussually use ESPN evev for football they show 3 of Iowa's fb recruit with 4* vs rivals with 2 four *'s and i find it funny they had Iowa's class at 32 before Taylor committed and then Iowa dropped out of the top 50 right after, but go ahead and use that to prove your post

gee like rivals is the end all of recruiting service, i don't like rivals Gesel dropped into the 80's after committing to Iowa after being in the 70's, he is still in the top 75 on ESPN, i will be watching to see if Woodbury stays pr drop out of the top 50 on their board their ranking are ok but i ussually use ESPN evev for football they show 3 of Iowa's fb recruit with 4* vs rivals with 2 four *'s and i find it funny they had Iowa's class at 32 before Taylor committed and then Iowa dropped out of the top 50 right after, but go ahead and use that to prove your post

No one said Rivals is the end all be all, and just because you don't like it doesn't mean it's not a valid site for recruiting.
You asked where the New Zealander was ranked Top 5, I gave it to you.

A composite of ESPN, Rivals, and Scout is usually a good start to see how good kids PROJECT to be. Scout has the Kiwi as a five star on their site. So ESPN is the only service to not evaluate him.

Also, I'm still waiting on the dates as when Gabe and Adams came to the states... go ahead with that data whenever you want so we can compare.

i see because he is not being looked by the NBA out of school he is going to be a low level player, the scouting services for HS don't go overseas, they stay in the states to evaluate players, and who needs a center patrolling the peremiter shooting 17-22's all game, where it takes him away from the basket, also just for the record the biggest knock on Woodbury is his shooting range, and last season his ft avg was 35%, that's Archie type shooting along with range from 15', and doesn't use his height to intimidate shots, yeah as a inside scorer and rebounder, he's great, as for Olaseni, his range is 15' can shoot FT and is a defensive oriented player that goes after rebounds AND blks, now who should start a highly rated player that scores, rebounds, but that shoots 35% from the FT and doesn't use their height to alter shots or does a defensive mind player that has the same range and is a very good FT shooter? the write up on ESPN on strength and weakness are there for the reading, maybe you should read both players write ups

How to Use Periods | eHow.com

The period key is right next to the comma on your keyboard.

Dragon!!!! storms our basketball GURU!!! we all want Gabe to be GREAT!!! along with all the rest!!! just let it happen!!!! Stormin is the voice of reason in BB no need to start a war. WE ALL WANT AND HOPE GABE IS BETTER than advetised!!! I think there's a GREAT chance of it Happening!!!!!!!! HOW COOL TWO KILLER BIGS!! and three other swing bigs!!!!!!! JUST SIT BACK AND
ENJOY!!!!!

There is a lot to ENJOY for certain. There is more energy and excitement concerning the state of the basketball program than I can remember, perhaps going back to the BJ Armstrong, Roy Marble, and Ed Horton days. Fran is setting the table very nicely. I would like all of our recruits to be better than the other.

:)

stange you failed to mention he played in the Adidas Nationals AAU camps, so he got to play against the Top Talent in the Country, that is how he got ranked, Olaseni did not get a chance to do this

stange you failed to mention he played in the Adidas Nationals AAU camps, so he got to play against the Top Talent in the Country, that is how he got ranked, Olaseni did not get a chance to do this
I didn't fail to do anything. You are the one proclaiming no one had a chance to see Gabe, while apparently the New Zealander had been in the states for quite some time and had been able to get rave reviews. I am waiting for you to back up this statement with facts.

Latest posts