Let's talk about.....BEER!

Toured the brewery twice. Super, super cool place and I highly recommend the trip even if one doesn't drink. They still store beer underground in the same tunnels they used in the 1800s, and you can still see the brick wall they were forced to put up sealing it off during prohibition. I've been to the Coors, and two of the Anheuser breweries and Yeungling is orders of magnitude more fun.

But yeah. Going nationwide is going to make Yeungling the new hipster beer and send PBR back to the old man cooler behind Hamm's and Grain Belt.
Is Falstaff hiding back there too??? I use to drink that way back when shep was just a pup!

Is Falstaff hiding back there too??? I use to drink that way back when shep was just a pup!
Falstaff and PBR were the beer of choice for me and my high school friends when we were in an old farts’ bowling league in Fat Dawg. One of our geeky partners may even have ordered Grain Belt from time to time.

Dad was a Hamms’ man.

Anyone drink Schlitz?

Falstaff and PBR were the beer of choice for me and my high school friends when we were in an old farts’ bowling league in Fat Dawg. One of our geeky partners may even have ordered Grain Belt from time to time.

Dad was a Hamms’ man.

Anyone drink Schlitz?
My high school was split between Schlitz and Old Milwaukee. I had Schlitz a few times and it was better than Ex Lax at curing constipation.

Dad was a Hamms’ man.

Anyone drink Schlitz?
There was a bar called The Brothers Three in Dubuque that had Schlitz on tap. It was in the late 60"s early 70's. They had a boat load of my money back then.

Dad was a Hamms’ man.

Anyone drink Schlitz?

Remember the "ice" bubble back in the mid '90's? We once procured 2 cases of "Hamm's Ice" back in high school and I have to say it was one of the most vile beers that has ever touched my mouth.

Schlitz did a rebrand several years ago. I tried it after the reformulation and it was actually pretty legit. I don't see it sold down here, though.

Remember the "ice" bubble back in the mid '90's? We once procured 2 cases of "Hamm's Ice" back in high school and I have to say it was one of the most vile beers that has ever touched my mouth.

Schlitz did a rebrand several years ago. I tried it after the reformulation and it was actually pretty legit. I don't see it sold down here, though.
I bought a case of Icehouse a few months ago, just to relive the glory days. It was....not good. I ended up giving the last half of it to the neighbor who doesn't mind a shitty beer from time to time.

Moosehead beer, anyone?

Back in the day it was cheap swill, the worst you could buy. One of the smartest girls in class stole a case from her pop and a few of us broke into the back of a runway area at Fat Dawg airport and drank Moosehead and smoked a joint, increasingly marveling at the runway strobes.

I bought a case of Icehouse a few months ago, just to relive the glory days. It was....not good. I ended up giving the last half of it to the neighbor who doesn't mind a shitty beer from time to time.
There were plenty of cheap beers we tolerated back in the day because it was all we could afford. Brau Meister, Grain Belt, Schaefer, Icehouse, Dubuque Star.

But Black Label stood head and shoulders above the rest. In the 1980s you could get it at John's Grocery in Iowa City for under five dollars a case, perhaps $2.88 for a 12 pack.

Like they've always said though, you get what you pay for. And I paid for it other ways, too. Like the next morning, and sometimes into the afternoon.

Remember these back in the day? I was too young to drink them but I wonder who made them.

Has anyone had the pleasure (or displeasure) of drinking one of these?

beer_7987.jpg

Last edited:
Where do you think my inspiration came from? :)
He's actually enjoying his beer-making hobby and I believe he has collections of different brands and I'm sure he made a lot of friends in beer making circle. Good guy.
I told him I don't drink because I drive long distances.
When I was a younger lad, I used to ride my bike and find all kinds of beer cans.

Moosehead beer, anyone?

Back in the day it was cheap swill, the worst you could buy. One of the smartest girls in class stole a case from her pop and a few of us broke into the back of a runway area at Fat Dawg airport and drank Moosehead and smoked a joint, increasingly marveling at the runway strobes.
I actually luv Moosehead!

There were plenty of cheap beers we tolerated back in the day because it was all we could afford. Brau Meister, Grain Belt, Schaefer, Icehouse, Dubuque Star.

But Black Label stood head and shoulders above the rest. In the 1980s you could get it at John's Grocery in Iowa City for under five dollars a case, perhaps $2.88 for a 12 pack.

Like they've always said though, you get what you pay for. And I paid for it other ways, too. Like the next morning, and sometimes into the afternoon.

You shittin' thru a screen, were ya?

Remember these back in the day? I was too young to drink them but I wonder who made them.

Has anyone had the pleasure (or displeasure) of drinking one of these?

beer_7987.jpg
I know Hy Vee had them. My uncle was a butcher at Hy Vee. We'd go to his house and grill kick ass steaks and he and my dad would drink these! Not sure which brewery provided them to Hy Vee to sell! Lol!. Didn't think anybody would remember these. I kind of buried it into my memory.

Last edited:
We drank Old Mil and Old Mil Light in my small hometown in NE Iowa growing up. It's still the beer of choice to locals, at least for a cheap yellow buzz bear. I worked in a grocery store growing up in the late 1980's and miss all the old chepo beers mentioned above like Lowen Brau, Michelob, Schaefers, Red White and Blue (Not Pabst), the beer was actually called Red, White and Blue. A beer I really still like (for cold buzz water) is Schmitz regular. I get that on vacation in Minnesota every time I go. I drink it for a week. Can still get it in McGregor Iowa and a small liquor store in Oelwein Iowa. Oelwein is the farthest west I've seen it. I think the only reason they sell it there is that the owner likes it as well and has the distributor bring it.

Oh, don't forget about Old Style Light, which was the beer for locals in Wisconsin. I drank those in college. Old Style Light is pretty smooth. They were the first to drastically raise their prices for a case in the 1990's which I think turned people away. I think they are still around. I should throw a $25 to the store and get some.

I remember in 1993 or 1994 drinking Michelob Light which I thought went down pretty smooth. This was my choice after starting my career job at the U, then it wasn't around. It was a pretty smooth buzz water, though.

I remember Old Mil Light being like $3.88 a twelve in 1988. Miss those days.

Last edited:
Love my Amber's. Killian's, AmberBock, local fave Potosi Cave Ale. Willing to cross things up with Blue Moon Belgian White, especially when the Hawks are playing.

Favorite light beer would probably be Busch Light.

I can't drink Busch Light now without thinking of raw bread dough when drinking.

back in the beginning of the pandemic a bar/restaurant had 6 pack PBR tall boys for cheap so I picked it up. It has become a regular in my rotation. It tastes like a craft beer at a discount price! Other than those my steadies are Des Moines locals Exile Ruthie and Confluence Capital Gold.
Do you also go to Red Lobster for kick ass seafood?

Of all the cheap beers I liked Blatz the best. Had a Blatz dark in Milwaukee way back in the 80's and was disappointed I couldn't find it in Iowa. I could never stand Schmidt. Had a real off taste to me. Old Milwaukee was definitely the beer of choice around Oelwein and Fairbank.

Last edited:
Let’s see.......in HS, we used to have a friend buy us Miller ponies. We’d drive around on the country roads singing to the 8 track and throwing the empties at road signs. I think it was Blatz that made the big mouth bottles we’d drink......could be wrong on that, though.

In college, we could get a six pack of Pickett’s or Old Style for $1.89. Add a huge pizza from Paul Revere’s, and it was an evening.

Not a big beer drinker today.....more into wine, tequila and bourbon.