Leistikow: What was Barta thinking?

Personally I don't count Fran's first two seasons against him. There's probably only 1 or 2 coaches in America that would of won that first year. The second year that number would increase but probably not by much. Also, how many of those coaches would of come to Iowa?
3 out of 6 is better than 3 out of 8 but it is still fairly average but he deserves another year if not 2 years. I believe that he will be around even longer than that.

Personally I don't count Fran's first two seasons against him. There's probably only 1 or 2 coaches in America that would of won that first year. The second year that number would increase but probably not by much. Also, how many of those coaches would of come to Iowa?
3 out of 6 is better than 3 out of 8 but it is still fairly average but he deserves another year if not 2 years. I believe that he will be around even longer than that.

I share all the same opinions here. You'll get neigh-sayers on this board no matter you're opinion so I guess we might as well stick together on this huh?

Is that what happened, Steve? Did I fail analytics?

No, you probably didn't but you don't seem to be able to understand how throwing out Fran's first two years after taking over a dumpster fire program from Lick is comparable to throwing out the first two years of a coach who takes over a blue-chip program, which would be an apt comparison, reversing quality of results.

Actually, I can tell you're very intelligent and do understand that. You just choose not to admit it's a good analogy because you are so negative about Fran, Iowa basketball, and Iowa sports in general and that clouds your judgement.

No, you probably didn't but you don't seem to be able to understand how throwing out Fran's first two years after taking over a dumpster fire program from Lick is comparable to throwing out the first two years of a coach who takes over a blue-chip program, which would be an apt comparison, reversing quality of results.

Actually, I can tell you're very intelligent and do understand that. You just choose not to admit it's a good analogy because you are so negative about Fran, Iowa basketball, and Iowa sports in general and that clouds your judgement.

Iowa's lack of sound fundamentals clouds my judgement.

My love for Iowa basketball and other Iowa sports is greater than my love for any coach. You on the other hand are the polar opposite. You apparently weren't on HN during the Lick days, but I bet you were saying he should have more time to turn it around.

My love for Iowa basketball and other Iowa sports is greater than my love for any coach. You on the other hand are the polar opposite. You apparently weren't on HN during the Lick days, but I bet you were saying he should have more time to turn it around.

This is just a cop out for you when someone actually proves a point. Nobody was on here hoping Lick had more years. He had more than enough years, just because we support a coach our favorite college program has doesn't mean we are not a fan of the program. That's just ignorant. Lickliter never showed any life or sign that he was going to turn the program around or even have a winning season for that matter.

This is just a cop out for you when someone actually proves a point. Nobody was on here hoping Lick had more years. He had more than enough years, just because we support a coach our favorite college program has doesn't mean we are not a fan of the program. That's just ignorant. Lickliter never showed any life or sign that he was going to turn the program around or even have a winning season for that matter.
I'm sorry, did you make a point?

Question-Everything.gif

That was literally your stipulation for Coach K if he was at Depaul why can't I adjust his overall record according to what we had been saying? Oh because finding facts to support that Fran's actually been a better coach than you want to admit would be terrible for you.
I clearly stated that it might take a good coach longer to turn around a shit program but it wouldn't take 8 years. Fran has had 8 years and we just lost 19 basketball games. That's right back to shit program status.

That's normally what a winning season means, NCAA was never stipulated in the former conversation it said winning which 21/25 wins and runner-up in the NIT in your third season is.
Alfraud would call that a "March situation". He was good at putting lipstick on pigs too.

That's normally what a winning season means, NCAA was never stipulated in the former conversation it said winning which 21/25 wins and runner-up in the NIT in your third season is.
I was never talking about that, when discussing a good coach taking over a shit program! I was talking about that coach winning conference titles and making deep NCAA tournament runs.
If Coach K took over Depaul, he would have a conference title within the first 5 years. A Sweet 16 or an Elite 8 by year 8. No doubt.

I was never talking about that, when discussing a good coach taking over a shit program! I was talking about that coach winning conference titles and making deep NCAA tournament runs.
If Coach K took over Depaul, he would have a conference title within the first 5 years. A Sweet 16 or an Elite 8 by year 8. No doubt.

Oh so now it's 5 years and they have to be winning titles and getting to the final four. Can never win here. Fran will always be a mediocore coach for you, and that's okay but if he has success I really really hope you're not the first one to scream and shout and say you always knew it. I'll hold my faith and you and your little posse hold your doubts. Hopefully Fran will hold up to your national championship caliber bar someday. Here's to '18-'19 season finishing top 6 in the conference and making the tournament and still having "fans" like this.

Oh so now it's 5 years and they have to be winning titles and getting to the final four. Can never win here. Fran will always be a mediocore coach for you, and that's okay but if he has success I really really hope you're not the first one to scream and shout and say you always knew it. I'll hold my faith and you and your little posse hold your doubts. Hopefully Fran will hold up to your national championship caliber bar someday. Here's to '18-'19 season finishing top 6 in the conference and making the tournament and still having "fans" like this.
You're not very smart, are you? Fran will have moderate success again. He'll get to the NCAA tournament and get sent home in the 1st or 2nd round. Then we'll be back to periods of no NCAA tournaments. He'll never win a Big Ten title.

This is flat out wrong or a lie. There absolutely were posters on here arguing to give Lickliter more time. I was here. I saw it first hand!

You're not very smart, are you? Fran will have moderate success again. He'll get to the NCAA tournament and get sent home in the 1st or 2nd round. Then we'll be back to periods of no NCAA tournaments. He'll never win a Big Ten title.

I don't think me believing in Fran McCaffery or not makes me not smart or smart, I digress. Also, like I said if that's your opinion, great. We'll watch and see I suppose, but if it happens to be better than you expect here, you and your neigh-sayers shouldn't not be cheering and shouting. That's where I'll leave it. You're opinion doesn't make you dumb, everyone has their own opinion and base of faith and a right to that. To the OP, my opinion is Barta had a right to extend FM's contract before the season.

I don't think me believing in Fran McCaffery or not makes me not smart or smart, I digress. Also, like I said if that's your opinion, great. We'll watch and see I suppose, but if it happens to be better than you expect here, you and your neigh-sayers shouldn't not be cheering and shouting. That's where I'll leave it. You're opinion doesn't make you dumb, everyone has their own opinion and base of faith and a right to that. To the OP, my opinion is Barta had a right to extend FM's contract before the season.

shouldn't be*

You aren't comprehending my posted comments, or you are intentionally spinning them to fit your argument. That's why you aren't very smart.
Barta had a "right" to extend Fran's contract. That is within his job description. It was 100% dick brained. It was 100% gutless. But he had that "right".

It was the length of the extension and subsequent buyout clauses that I had issues with. I pointed out in a recent post that two other BIG coaches, Miles and Gard, got extended but it was for one and I believe two more years respectively. The contract that Fran has, well beyond the unwritten "four year window", is usually a luxury for coaches of the blue bloods or people like Rick Barnes or Bob Huggins, who have won big everywhere they've gone and taken multiple teams on deep tournament runs.

Look, I'd like to believe in Fran, too. I'm a huge Iowa fan and the Final Four run in 1980 and the early Davis run are some of my fondest sports memories. His track record hasn't warranted it to this point. I told of a recent list: Iowa is one of a few, if any, non conference teams to win in the Dean Dome twice. So don't call me a nay-sayer and deny my right to cheer, cause if they make a long tourney run I'll be the first to eat my words. But here's another list, and this obviously has more to do than Fran: Five BIG teams have failed to make the Sweet Sixteen in this millennium. Guess who's on that list?

Last edited:
You aren't comprehending my posted comments, or you are intentionally spinning them to fit your argument. That's why you aren't very smart.
Barta had a "right" to extend Fran's contract. That is within his job description. It was 100% dick brained. It was 100% gutless. But he had that "right".

I don't understand where I twisted your words or didn't understand what you were saying...

The point is as many anti-Fran people say is NCAA appearances. Fran has 3 of them and I was posting to say I could see how there should've been 4. I'm not excusing the blowout losses in the 2nd round, if those were even close, competitive games I'm not sure there would be as many neigh-sayers. I also keep in mind that both of those teams got hot at the right time. Nova goes on to win the Championship that year, and Zaga goes onto the final four I believe. I do also believe that Fran needs to make the dance within the next 2 years, assuming he has a good recruiting class coming, and make a run in the tournament to justify his extension.
Wasn't there a screw job against MSU in the BTT that kept us out of the tournament as well? Can't recall but I'm sure one of you can