Leistikow confirms Petras will start...

I normally wouldn't go this far, but I'm 100% in agreement with Fry here. If KF is gonna be so stubborn and blinded by Petras "resume", then keep Petras in the entire game and I hope they lose. I'll be there and I promise to not 'boo' if they do. Of course, a more likely loss scenario would be Petras starting & playing 3 quarters, Padilla inserted for the 4th quarter and playing average but Iowa still losing, then afterward KF saying "I told you changing QBs wouldn't solve everything!"
Booing is what we need

Your assuming that their is some sort of fair and open competition and Kirk has a burning desire to win at all cost. Big assumptions.

If you've been following Kirk for his career there is no chance anyone but Petras starts, plus no other QB will get ANY significant playing time let alone pass the ball. If, Iowa has a lead Petras will play all the way or until the 2 or 3 minute mop time. Iowa will run the ball. Kirk went into this season after last season determined there will be NO QB controversy. Honestly, if Iowa does make a change forget about Padilla, I want to start over with Joey or May.
This is BS to a point. I don't think u have followed KF over the entire time at Iowa and only want to look past a few yrs. He's done changes. But,bi admit he struggles with it and is not quick to pull the trigger as fast as he should. It's not his strong point

That was a fucking hilarious answer. "Yep, those are some good points. Can't argue with those stats. We are still going with Petras."
It really was absurd.
"The objective facts you present overwhelmingly support your case. So what? Next question?"

I think I will take Saturday off. Spencer and the O together make for a very bad combo. I think I've seen enough of that show for a full year. If Nevada sucks badly Petras might have an average day, which is all he needs to keep starting, which is horrible for this team's chances this year. Ferentz's + Petras = Lost season

What gets me isn't that Petras still sucks. Or that the Oline minus Linderbaum would be bad. It's the bull headed stubbornness of KF. We'd gotten a little taste of 'New Kirk' that'd started a few yrs ago with him being more aggressive and doing some not so conservative things. He said that this isn't some kind of intentional derailment. Then what would one call it?

There's no way that the coaching staff is all on the same page with how KF has handled any of this. And to me that's what could be tough to over come going forward. The kids will get in line and follow orders. The other coaches though have careers to think about.

Now a guy like Woods is probably one foot out the door for another job anyway he's going to be highly coveted and he's as high as he can go at Iowa till KF is gone. I would think after this yr he'll be taking either a coordinator job someplace or even a HC job at a MAC level. But staying here another yr after this fiasco doesn't seem like the best thing for his career.

Guys like Betts and Hodge have to be wondering what the heck have they gotten themselves into. I'd love to be a fly on the wall in the coaches meetings to know who all thinks what. Do those guys have the balls to even share their true 2 cents or are they yes men just glad to be there? Heck if I know but this is just getting into some serious Loony Tunes level nuts.

Last edited:
You all have pretty short memories... after starting his entire sophomore season it took 7 bad games from Jake Christensen in his junior year before Ricky Stanzi became the starter. Why would anyone think it will happen in less time now?
Stanzi became the starter after the Pitt "gut feeling" game. It was either the 3rd or 4th game.

I think what gets people is that from the outside, this seems completely inexplicable.

And KF doesn't do anything to clearly explain the decision. He throws out a bunch of generalities about "body of work" and looking at the "whole picture", and these just don't hold up to any level of scrutiny. Media are not allowed to observe any practices, we are just told to trust that the coaches know a bunch of stuff we don't, and that makes the decisions the right ones.

I understand these coaches know a lot more than us and have a lot more experience and knowledge than us. But when you make a decision that is completely inexplicable, you don't do anything to clarify that decision, you lack any semblance of transparency, and your results are the worst in the country, the outside is going to stop trusting that you actually know what you're doing.

What gets me isn't that Petras still sucks. Or that the Oline minus Linderbaum would be bad. It's the bull headed stubbornness of KF. We'd gotten a little taste of 'New Kirk' that'd started a few yrs ago with him being more aggressive and doing some not so conservative things. He said that this isn't some kind of intentional derailment. Then what would one call it?

There's no way that the coaching staff is all on the same page with how KF has handled any of this. And to me that's what could be tough to over come going forward. The kids will get in line and follow orders. The other coaches though have careers to think about.

Now a guy like Woods is probably one foot out the door for another job anyway he's going to be highly coveted and he's as high as he can go at Iowa till KF is gone. I would think after this yr he'll be taking either a coordinator job someplace or even a HC job at a MAC level. But staying here another yr after this fiasco doesn't seem like the best thing for his career.

Guys like Betts and Hodge have to be wondering what the heck have they gotten themselves into. I'd love to be a fly on the wall in the coaches meetings to know who all thinks what. Do those guys have the balls to even share their true 2 cents or are they yes men just glad to be there? Heck if I know but this is just getting into some serious Loony Tunes level nuts.
That's one of the things I am worried about, too. Even if Brian no longer wants to start Petras, what do the other coaches think of him and his influence within the program?

Off the top of my head, there were Brian's public comments ripping the sports marketing department for being behind the times at Kinnick (that one looks a bit silly now), the temper tantrum he threw in the press box against Minnesota, the dust-up he had last season with David Porter and his DEI efforts (where apparently Brian was generally more flippant about it than most of the staff)....Kirk hasn't had other coaches act like this, probably because they deeply respect him, know that he is their boss, and that it's not the kind of behavior he expects from the staff.

All of this is completely aside from the lack of performance, too.

I think what gets people is that from the outside, this seems completely inexplicable.

And KF doesn't do anything to clearly explain the decision. He throws out a bunch of generalities about "body of work" and looking at the "whole picture", and these just don't hold up to any level of scrutiny. Media are not allowed to observe any practices, we are just told to trust that the coaches know a bunch of stuff we don't, and that makes the decisions the right ones.

I understand these coaches know a lot more than us and have a lot more experience and knowledge than us. But when you make a decision that is completely inexplicable, you don't do anything to clarify that decision, you lack any semblance of transparency, and your results are the worst in the country, the outside is going to stop trusting that you actually know what you're doing.

Dude is in a can't win situation. He can't come out and say "hey, you guys have the tape on Padilla from last year. My kid is a giant fuckstick and Padilla is even worse this year than last year and because we're a bunch of chucklefucks Labas gets some scout team reps but doesn't have any rhythm with the first string WRs and oh by the way he ain't that good either. And if you don't believe me that the backups will have even bigger deer in the headlights looks than Petras just pull up the tape of the Northwestern game from 2009. The situation right now is worse than that, which is why we're going with Spencer."

You see, that is where we probably are, but he can't say it. He made a joke about Deuce Hogan last year and dude pouted and transferred almost immediately. When push comes to shove his priorities in order are:

1) Protecting his own ass
2) Protecting his kid
3) Protecting the fragile egos of his players
62) Deciding what he will eat at Carlos O'Kelly's next time he is there
127) Satiating the informational demands of the rabid fans

I think I will take Saturday off. Spencer and the O together make for a very bad combo. I think I've seen enough of that show for a full year. If Nevada sucks badly Petras might have an average day, which is all he needs to keep starting, which is horrible for this team's chances this year. Ferentz's + Petras = Lost season

Lucky for me I saw the sheen coming off the run the day we got shit trucked by Purdue last year. The Michigan game and the bowl game sealed it. I've said this before many times, but Iowa's luck under Ferentz runs in spurts. We're in a down cycle. We've all seen it. The Captain will turn it around, but everyone is safe to make plans on gamedays for awhile. Tune in for the big ones, but the Nevada or Rutgers game has lost appointment television status.

I missed the SDSU game because I was in eastern Tennessee camping. This weekend I am going to north Georgia. There's no point in watching these games live other than a few big ones just in case a miracle happens and that springboards the next good run. I've watched enough shit Iowa football to miss a few third tier games here and there at this point.

When push comes to shove his priorities in order are:

1) Protecting his own ass
2) Protecting his kid

My thoughts as well, and I think a major (main?) reason he's sticking w/ Petras.

If he sticks w/ Petras and the offense stinks, he gets fan / media angst for being stubborn (or clueless, or whatever). "Oh well"

But, if he replaces SP and the offense still stinks? Now all the attention shifts to BF, and himself. Derails BF's chances to inherit the throne. "Can't happen"

What really makes me nervous is that Petras is going to come out Saturday and throw for something like 235 yrds and 2 TD's. I feel there is a good chance this is just going to be a false mask or a bandaid. He'll be propped up by Ferentz and start the BIG season against Rutgers and that bandaid will be yanked off and we'll be right back to where we are now.

Also, there is a chance we are screwed for a couple or a few years, if indeed, the backup QB's are just as ineffective. We all know that KF is one to play the guy who has the best grasp of the offense and that takes some time to groom a new QB. If the current backups are a push or even worse than the starter now, Iowa is gunna be mediocre for some time. That worries me.

My thoughts as well, and I think a major (main?) reason he's sticking w/ Petras.

If he sticks w/ Petras and the offense stinks, he gets fan / media angst for being stubborn (or clueless, or whatever). "Oh well"

But, if he replaces SP and the offense still stinks? Now all the attention shifts to BF, and himself. Derails BF's chances to inherit the throne. "Can't happen"

And he has to be scared as $uck if he plays the backup and the backup has nice success. Then he'd hear it and be asked the questions why wasn't this change earlier.

Spence was very close on quite a few passes

He was actually within a foot or two most of the time

If he would take a little mustard off the ball every now and then, perhaps we could expect, once in a while, an actual completion

The crowd screaming throughout the course of the game actually add to his confidence

It's All Good, Lads
He was actually within a foot or two most of the time ...
That's funny stuff, right there! Thanx, Duke!

I figured he would, at least to see how he does with Ragaini and possibly Johnson back. But, I bet you he has a short leash and the plan will be to pull him if he doesn't perform better. How can it not be.

So, I'm not surprised at all they will start with him to give him one last chance against a shitty team. But, don't be surprised if we don't see a backup if the O is still a bit stagnant.
It's almost looking like he has the longest leash in the country. 12 straight wins worth of credit...

I’m fine with getting beat 3-2 by a horrible Nevada team. Dead serious.

It would be the only thing that could possibly make a change happen. We would still be 0-0 in the division and have the same chance as anyone else going forward.
I agree that we need to lose for change against the non conference but the last thing we need is to win the West. Probably the weakest it's ever been and a 3 loss conference team will probably be crowned. Winning the West this year proves nothing. We'll be in route for a 30 point routing in the championship game and Kirk will get to continue his ways.

I agree that we need to lose for change against the non conference but the last thing we need is to win the West. Probably the weakest it's ever been and a 3 loss conference team will probably be crowned. Winning the West this year proves nothing. We'll be in route for a 30 point routing in the championship game and Kirk will get to continue his ways.

I haven't read the employment contract lately but I presume that would also come with a decent bonus. Hell, the way they changed the rules of the championship game in 2020 maybe they could do the same this year and just let OSU and the second best team from the east rematch.

Latest posts