Kirk's call in show last night

The OT board is now set up where those posts don't show up on the landing page unless u opt in. People r welcome to ostrich and chad in there to their heart's content. We'll keep the sports forums ON topic going forward.

Thanks for the clarification Jon. I wasn't sure if it was just the football/sports or all parts of the forum.

I didn't delete the Coker thread because it was linked to a news agency who went on the record. If they r wrong they will deal with fallout. If right there it is. They are faces with names and therefor accountable. And I don't like to delete posts contrary to public opinion.

So as long as posts r within the rules they stay.

I get that the OP linked a news agency, but there is talk on the 1st page of the thread about rumors people are hearing around Iowa City and it goes on throughout that thread. Most of the comments have nothing to do with the OP's link.

Thats why I think there is some smoke to these legal issues. The thread has survived for 10 pages when it is full of talk of rumors or what anonymous message board posters have heard around town.

His comment about 'we'll live with Coker's suspension' was an interesting choice of words...not exactly sure what it means and don't want to parse too much out of it, but one way I took it was that perhaps he didn't see totally eye to eye with the suspension having to take place. In lieu of certainty over why it happened, that's about all I can gather.

Kirk also said McCall is still suspended and will not play in that game, so there is clarification on that.

Iowa still has a good offensive line. I am not going to write off the running game for this bowl game. I think there could be a good mix with the players they have. Canzeri is not a 20 carries per game back, probably at best a 9-12 carry per game guy and get him the ball a few times in the passing game...but in a one off situation, where he won't have to carry a load the following week, he could see elevated carries...Bullock will have had more practice reps at RB than he has had all year, and Johnson will have had some more time, too.

Each of them will have a fullback in there some of the time. I will not be surprised if Iowa has an effective running attack in this game.

For a guy who calculates his words very carefully. It would be shocking that he “choseâ€￾ those words, if this is a significant pending legal situation. In fact, I’m a KF fan, but if he “choseâ€￾ those words and that way to address it AND it turns into a significant legal situation I’d have to seriously question his approach. Unless of course he thought he was innocent, but even then that is totally out of character for him.

Chad

I happened to catch a little Marty last night. He was all doom and gloom over things in IC. He said it was a sinking ship and ISU was going to be the benefactor.

Hahahaha, sinking ship? Really Marty? I guess he would be the expert, being that his show is/was a sinking ship. Didnt it go off the air because of money issues a while back? On another note, if Iowa beats Oklahoma, who is with me by continually calling KXNO and reminding that complete imbocile Brinson that he keeps saying Iowa is getting blown out? I always thought Marty wasnt too sharp, but he looks like a Rhoads scholar compared to Brinson.:D

Perhaps.

Though part of me suspects that this is just typical "Ferentz talk." You know, "life goes on," "there is Iowa football after Marcus Coker."

Ferentz never really comes out with the "sky is falling quote." He doesn't say, "Holy crap our leading receiver was just in a drug bust I don't know who we'll ever pass to in the bowl game..."

Maybe just more "1 player does not make a program" coachspeak.

He always seems to take the sort of 'shrugs sholders, we'll play the hand we're dealt' approach, and I expect that's probably all this is.

Maybe not. But I have a feeling that's just how KF is and I'm not going to read anything either way into that line, but you certainly could be right.

This was my take as well. "We've lost our RB, but we'll still be able to play football."

Based on some of the moronic posts / posters, I think Jon is extremely tolerant.

I am not so optimistic on the running game. OU will blitz ala MSU and we did not fare well against them. Safe to say we are not going to shut OU down defensively, so KOK will need to step up, which didn't happen all season. Throwing to our backs when OU blitzes could slow them down, but we have backs with little / no experience. The mismanagement of the RB position by KF has come back to haunt us. Stoops will be aggressive, we will be conservative.

Will we did win 7 games, one against Michigan and we played 8 bowl teams in total, so I’m wondering what your thoughts are on how we won them.

Chad

I for one can't wait to see Jordan play. I hope he has big big game and Iowa moves to more of a two back team in the future.

Stoops will be aggressive, we will be conservative - understatement

Fortunately for us aggressive has lost lots of games too……and Bob over aggressived his way into a loss this year in fact. The neat thing and I know most haven’t run their logic train this far into, but people don’t unfortunately. Is that both philosophies ALL the time cause problems.

That’s why when KF and KOK do something it is often very effective…boot leg roll out in the Insight, Boot let run on what was it 4th and short vs NW. Over aggressive is no biggie if you go into the game knowing ahead of time, they’ll do plenty of stupid over the top stuff. Then you plain for it. Kind of gives you an advantage…see how that works.

Chad

Last edited:
i think the reason jon banned it was because it was stupid, unfunny, and way overused. If u thought it was funny I recommend jim rome on kxno.

I agree with this. It was severely overplayed and wasn't all that cute and clever to begin with.

This was my take as well. "We've lost our RB, but we'll still be able to play football."[/QUOTE]

I guess this is a possibility, still seems an odd choice of words. I’ve seen him take this approach, but it is usually something like……

“Marcus won’t be with the team and we will still play the game the way we play itâ€￾.

Chad

His comment about 'we'll live with Coker's suspension' was an interesting choice of words...not exactly sure what it means and don't want to parse too much out of it, but one way I took it was that perhaps he didn't see totally eye to eye with the suspension having to take place. In lieu of certainty over why it happened, that's about all I can gather.

Kirk also said McCall is still suspended and will not play in that game, so there is clarification on that.

Iowa still has a good offensive line. I am not going to write off the running game for this bowl game. I think there could be a good mix with the players they have. Canzeri is not a 20 carries per game back, probably at best a 9-12 carry per game guy and get him the ball a few times in the passing game...but in a one off situation, where he won't have to carry a load the following week, he could see elevated carries...Bullock will have had more practice reps at RB than he has had all year, and Johnson will have had some more time, too.

Each of them will have a fullback in there some of the time. I will not be surprised if Iowa has an effective running attack in this game.

- Also..did you catch the line...from KF regarding Coker...."we'll see what happens next semester" - i think he slipped up a bit there...if you read in between the lines...i think we can figure out what this is about...

I am all for people posting under their real names. But unless its your screen name, if you really want to put your name out there, just put it in your profile and not on your signature line.

Latest posts