Kirk's call in show last night

I get that the OP linked a news agency, but there is talk on the 1st page of the thread about rumors people are hearing around Iowa City and it goes on throughout that thread. Most of the comments have nothing to do with the OP's link.

Thats why I think there is some smoke to these legal issues. The thread has survived for 10 pages when it is full of talk of rumors or what anonymous message board posters have heard around town.

Agreed. Thought that thread could have been locked about two or three pages in.

Agreed. Thought that thread could have been locked about two or three pages in.

A lot of threads could be locked down or deleted a page or two in. There are a lot of threads that I personally don't see as having any value. But I am not going to moderate that way. We have an off topic forum, a politics and controversial forum, so people have a way to express opinions that are non-Iowa related.

We have rules in place to keep things in bounds on the sports related forums.

I think things are fair, I think people have latitude to express their opinions and we have rules in place to keep things in bounds.

For some, they still can't contain themselves and we'll be parting ways either on their terms or mine.

I am not going to spend my days babysitting adults on a message board. People can either follow the very simple guidelines, or they can go find another message board forum to call home.

I'd rather not discuss this any more. The rules are posted.

Last edited:
If KCJJ is wrong again can they be banned from the board, because they are no longer a credible source (if they ever were)

One of the problems I have with this coaching staff is their determined effort to put all of their eggs in one basket. Thus we now have a diminished stable of running backs with little or no actual game experience. I seriously doubt that there is the dramatic drop off from the starter to the second string running back and, in fact, that has been proven as recently as a year ago. It just seems to be a lack of confidence in the backups. You recruited these guys for a reason coach, why not give them some field time? Otherwise, you are going to have a cadre of unhappy players who show up every day and practice hard, but never reap the rewards. In any event, we seem to have this same drama year after year, yet we always seem to find somebody to carry the load and I suspect this year won't be any different.

Dude, who cares? Why are people so intent in being argumentative on this issue? It's pretty simple what Jon will allow and what he won't. If you still don't understand what he has explained multiple times (in this thread alone) and has posted on the board, then you probably have a comprehension problem or are just an antagonist.

With virtually no running game we will actually have to throw the ball. I bet O'keefes head is spinning. Our Oline is good and we have some talented receivers. It will be interested if OKeefe can put some sort of game plan together around the talent vs the same ol crap.

One of the problems I have with this coaching staff is their determined effort to put all of their eggs in one basket. Thus we now have a diminished stable of running backs with little or no actual game experience. I seriously doubt that there is the dramatic drop off from the starter to the second string running back and, in fact, that has been proven as recently as a year ago. It just seems to be a lack of confidence in the backups. You recruited these guys for a reason coach, why not give them some field time? Otherwise, you are going to have a cadre of unhappy players who show up every day and practice hard, but never reap the rewards. In any event, we seem to have this same drama year after year, yet we always seem to find somebody to carry the load and I suspect this year won't be any different.

Ironically enuff, one of the things I get so frustrated with our fans is they seem to forget that KF has traditionally played multi running backs. If you go back through the stat lines on yahoo by year, they have had many years with multi touches. In 2009 in fact we pretty evenly split carries…

In 2008 Jewel still ran for 600 yards…..

AY and Damain Sims…

Russel and Jermell…..

So it’s not really hard for me at least to take the leap, that had things been “okay†we sure would have. I guess maybe I’m a deeper thinker than some and it has served me well I might add. Now I could be all wet, but I’ll ask…..

Did you know Canzeri and Bullock fought injuries from almost their first exposure to the field…

I assume you also know McCall is now suspended and wouldn’t be available anyway and quite frankly after seeing him drop a hand off vs PU and then come to find out he is now suspended for something that happened sometime back…..well I’m not too surprised or upset there.

That leaves Johnson who I wish could play some, but I am way past thinking this staff has made a mistake on personnel…they have more than proved to me that they routinely make the critics look silly.

This is just the way I go thru and process things I wonder about.

How does everybody know we don't have a running game? Last I checked there were three other backs that all played this year; Canzeri, Bullock, and Johnson. Did they get much playing time? No. But was that because they were bad or because Kirk has a penchant for not subbing in for his starter? I think there is plenty of talent back there to work with, and I fully expect the OLine to open up some holes for these kids.

With virtually no running game we will actually have to throw the ball. I bet O'keefes head is spinning. Our Oline is good and we have some talented receivers. It will be interested if OKeefe can put some sort of game plan together around the talent vs the same ol crap.

Aaaahhh yes, the same ole crap.....I wonder how do you think we won the 7 games we did. There were 8 bowl teams on our schedule if memory serves.

How does everybody know we don't have a running game? Last I checked there were three other backs that all played this year; Canzeri, Bullock, and Johnson. Did they get much playing time? No. But was that because they were bad or because Kirk has a penchant for not subbing in for his starter? I think there is plenty of talent back there to work with, and I fully expect the OLine to open up some holes for these kids.

Anyone one of these guys could have a break-out game and we'll all be marveling at the next stud Iowa RB. Or they could all fumble four times and we'll be in deep trouble. I think Jon makes a fair point about whether or not they will be able to block on pass plays and get out for the safety valve dump. We'll see. But should be fun. Looking forward to it.

Other

Last edited:
Anyone one of these guys could have a break-out game and we'll all be marveling at the next stud Iowa RB. Or they could all fumble four times and we'll be in deep trouble. I think Jon makes a fair point about whether or not they will be able to block on pass plays and get out for the safety valve dump. We'll see. But should be fun. Looking forward to it.

I agree it will be fun….and then we will get to fight with the …”see, such and such should have been playing more” When in fact such and such may have been injured and also got a month of extra, in depth practice.

Therefore we have a constant battle of wills...those that just want to enjoy the bright spots we can find, and.....:confused:

Hahahaha, sinking ship? Really Marty? I guess he would be the expert, being that his show is/was a sinking ship. Didnt it go off the air because of money issues a while back? On another note, if Iowa beats Oklahoma, who is with me by continually calling KXNO and reminding that complete imbocile Brinson that he keeps saying Iowa is getting blown out? I always thought Marty wasnt too sharp, but he looks like a Rhoads scholar compared to Brinson.:D

Marty is an excellent showman. I mean that. He has an elite ability to get people worked up. On most days, it's easy to predict what his angle is going to be. Just pick the common sentiment amongst a fan base, and go the other direction...OR pick the common sentiment amongst a fan base, and then turn the knob to 11 and pile on.

Either way, he gets a guaranteed reaction from those who listen.

He's very, very good at this and creating audience engagement.

However, after a while, yelling 'FIRE!' in a crowded theater can make listeners tone deaf, and then you are left to fill the air time with actual substance of opinion. I would say there are other people in the market that are better at that than Marty is.

Which is why you hear that sort of thing more on other shows. Marty sticks to what he knows he is best at, and he is THE best at it in these parts. It's up to the listener to decide if that is entertaining to him or her, or if there are other better options out there.

He would need to put on a good 20 lbs to really be able to handle that workload.

Says who? I've seen a lot of small undersized running backs handle the workloads for their perspective teams. It's not about how much a guy weighs. For all we know Canzeri could be the strongest lb for lb guy on the team. My point is the only way we'll know if he can or can't handle the workload is by seeing him on the field doing it. At that point we'll be able to say either a) yes he can handle 20+ carries per game, or b) no, he can't handle the workload and needs to be a change of pace guy.

Marty is an excellent showman. I mean that. He has an elite ability to get people worked up. On most days, it's easy to predict what his angle is going to be. Just pick the common sentiment amongst a fan base, and go the other direction...OR pick the common sentiment amongst a fan base, and then turn the knob to 11 and pile on.

However, after a while, yelling 'FIRE!' in a crowded theater can make listeners tone deaf, and then you are left to fill the air time with actual substance of opinion. I would say there are other people in the market that are better at that than Marty is.

Which is why you hear that sort of thing more on other shows. Marty sticks to what he knows he is best at, and he is THE best at it in these parts. It's up to the listener to decide if that is entertaining to him or her, or if there are other better options out there.
so your saying he's a troll ;) this is exactly what he does but what is funny is people keep falling for it

Other

What?

I know he's a pot-stirrer. He just made it sound like he had inside sources. I shouldn't have been fooled again, but there is an absolute dearth of good sports talk radio in DSM. I really think we should have better options in a city this size.

I know he's a pot-stirrer. He just made it sound like he had inside sources. I shouldn't have been fooled again, but there is an absolute dearth of good sports talk radio in DSM. I really think we should have better options in a city this size.

Listening to Marty or Brinson for that matter makes me miss Matty Cakes Perault so much, and I hated him when he was on...

Latest posts