Kirk Ferentz Adddresses Brian Ferentz Behavior

Indications are that it the incident is more "Bobby Knight" and less the zealous/passionate coach showing his emotion for the game....

Not what you want if your goal is to become the next HC...

So you folks are aware, the "Press Box" isn't just for the press anymore. There are ladies up there serving food, there are luxury boxes for the higher ups and their guests, there are older folks who work as ushers and credential checkers. We're all in the same area.
I'm sure that's what's been brought up to him since then too. If it was half as bad as some of what's been reported, is there any chance KF forces him to come down to the field?

KF, to BF:

"Look, Brian, I know you're frustrated right now. This year you're getting a dose of the whole 'heavy is the head that wears the crown' thing.

But, you know what I do when it gets to be too much and I want to swear during a game? I write down the words instead of saying them aloud.

Why the hell do you think I carry this stupid mother f-ing notebook?!?"

Last edited:
I'm sure that's what's been brought up to him since then too. If it was half as bad as some of what's been reported, is there any chance KF forces him to come down to the field?
Hopefully not. Not sure many players could take a punch from him without having a concussion test

I think I read somewhere that a Dartmouth coach busted a press box window out when they played Harvard spewing glass everywhere.

In my opinion, there are two elements at play here. Does anyone have any details?

1). If he pounded on the replay official's door. The Big Ten can't tolerate that. You'd think there are rules against contact or attempted contact with replay officials. Otherwise why not have coaches lobbying and/or asking for interpretation of rules directly from this official when they don't like a call?

2). If he used an epithet. I don't think the university will tolerate that, particularly given the mix of donors, staff, vendors (i.e. the public) that likely heard it.

If we are only talking salty language (F bombs) and nothing that could be viewed as intimidation/interference with the replay official, then I think we're only looking at an apology and moving on.

If #1 or #2 happened, then look for old Kenny O to dial up another masterpiece on the Buckeyes. Next coach in.

So you folks are aware, the "Press Box" isn't just for the press anymore. There are ladies up there serving food, there are luxury boxes for the higher ups and their guests, there are older folks who work as ushers and credential checkers. We're all in the same area.

So I generally agree with you on most takes... and for this I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt and ask a few questions.

1. I imagine that there are food vendors, ushers, and older folks on or near the sidelines. If Brian had done what he did on the sidelines, is it that big of a deal? Is it different?

2. Was this really a huge issue or is it just being blown out of proportion?

3. Is an emotional outburst by a passionate coach actually newsworthy?

If you guys think Brian Ferentz is bad, you apparently haven't seen Tim Polasek flip out. That guy comes absolutely un-f'ing corked. My kid and I were down on the first row of the spring game and I heard more F-bombs than I could count, face mask grabbing, screaming in the face, etc. I have never seen someone flip out like that and that often, and personally I find it hilarious because he's a sawed-off little oompa loompa of a guy who just completely loses his mind out there. You can see it in some of the "mic'd up" videos on YouTube. To watch that little elf grab one of the Paulsen twins or Lattimore and have a meltdown is comical as hell

@RobHowe, I'm assuming you've seen Polasek go nuclear during games?

BF couldn't have been any worse other than the inappropriate venue. Can't have that.

If you guys think Brian Ferentz is bad, you apparently haven't seen Tim Polasek flip out. That guy comes absolutely un-f'ing corked. My kid and I were down on the first row of the spring game and I heard more F-bombs than I could count, face mask grabbing, screaming in the face, etc. I have never seen someone flip out like that and that often, and personally I find it hilarious because he's a sawed-off little oompa loompa of a guy who just completely loses his mind out there. You can see it in some of the "mic'd up" videos on YouTube. To watch that little elf grab one of the Paulsen twins or Lattimore and have a meltdown is comical as hell

@RobHowe, I'm assuming you've seen Polasek go nuclear during games?

BF couldn't have been any worse other than the inappropriate venue. Can't have that.
Phil Parker has a potty mouth on him too... Even in a what was a pretty mellow HS coaches forum in which he was speaking to a group I got to sit in on a couple yrs back he couldn't not curse. A lot I might add. It's what makes a guy like Tony Dungy so unique. Most coaches aren't all buttoned up choir boys. They just aren't. So to expect them to be able to shut that off in the heat of battle no less is pretty tough. Not impossible but pretty darn tough

Phil Parker has a potty mouth on him too... Even in a what was a pretty mellow HS coaches forum in which he was speaking to a group I got to sit in on a couple yrs back he couldn't not curse. A lot I might add. It's what makes a guy like Tony Dungy so unique. Most coaches aren't all buttoned up choir boys. They just aren't. So to expect them to be able to shut that off in the heat of battle no less is pretty tough. Not impossible but pretty darn tough
Just to clarify, I don't have a problem with swearing at all as long as it isn't around a whole bunch of people who are going to get offended by it. I'll be the first one to admit that around most of my friends (and away from our kids) I cuss like a sailor. Swearing is an art form. It's just not an art form that most people like for some reason.

Ain't gonna matter who dials it up. The only thing that we should be dialing is 911.

Better mood today?
tenor.gif

Latest posts