Kirk and Brian knew...

I disagree with the notion that there are not good players in the transfer portal. It is an area that this coaching staff needs to improve as it's going to be the wave of the future.

You're assuming what other people are assuming.

It's not bad to want more playing time, but generally if a guy isn't playing, his skill level isn't at the point where a lot of P5 schools are going to improve by adding them to the roster. At best it's a gamble because (due to the fact they aren't playing) there isn't any meaningful college tape to evaluate).

Most portal guys also are moving down to get more playing time. Leaving P5 for G5 or going to an underperforming school. That's not by accident.
You assume they aren't better than what we are watching.

Not everything in the portal is trash... you might find a donut good enough to eat that hasn't fallen too far in to the can. Might have to wipe it off a little. But for the most part, it's mostly trash in there. Depending on it to supplement your team every off season is something that Iowa should consider, but not rely on. I feel like they do. They get transfers too. Where do you think Charlie Jones came from to begin with?

Same situation as Charlie Jones. It was well known at the that he already intended to go to TCU. Surprised you didn't know that. He signed 1 day after entering the portal.
Now it's you that is making an assumption. You can't get worse results for a Big than what we have. Maybe the worst results ever for a team not named NW or a recent Big addition.

Go back to the title. Yes they knew and didn't do something about it.

Now it's you that is making an assumption. You can't get worse results for a Big than what we have. Maybe the worst results ever for a team not named NW or a recent Big addition.

Go back to the title. Yes they knew and didn't do something about it.
Not sure where you're coming from with this. It was big talk in the media at the time because people were debating NIL stuff. It actually got leaked before he went in the portal that TCU boosters were talking to him and then low and behold it was true. Dallas media also made it a big deal because it was a transfer right across town.

You gave Allen Ali as an example of someone Iowa should have gone after, I showed you there was no way it was going to happen. Now you're deflecting again and telling me to talk about the title...

Not sure where you're coming from with this. It was big talk in the media at the time because people were debating NIL stuff. It actually got leaked before he went in the portal that TCU boosters were talking to him and then low and behold it was true. Dallas media also made it a big deal because it was a transfer right across town.

You gave Allen Ali as an example of someone Iowa should have gone after, I showed you there was no way it was going to happen. Now you're deflecting again and telling me to talk about the title...
Not deflecting....but we've been through that before. Solid programs just don't go thru this type of thing as oft as Iowa does and you appear to believe there is nothing that can be done. Purdue and TCU filled a need.

Not portal related but TCU has qb that was in Iowa s back yard.

Just so rare to see a team in the bottom 25 percent on O to have a winning BCS record.

Not deflecting....but we've been through that before. Solid programs just don't go thru this type of thing as oft as Iowa does and you appear to believe there is nothing that can be done. Purdue and TCU filled a need.

Not portal related but TCU has qb that was in Iowa s back yard.

Just so rare to see a team in the bottom 25 percent on O to have a winning BCS record.

IMO Council Bluffs really isn't Iowa's back yard.

Phil Parker is the Michael Jordan of college defensive coordinators.

Jay Niemann (D recruiting coordinator) and Phil are the best duo at their level in college sports. One could make a pretty good argument that their efforts are being wasted.

IMO Council Bluffs really isn't Iowa's back yard.
I know CB pretty well and it's predominantly Hawkeye oriented. Having lived at one time in Fremont, NE it rather surprised me. Off the tracks, CB does have it's issue but there are a lot of things to like about it...including all the Hawk fans.

Phil Parker is the Michael Jordan of college defensive coordinators.

Jay Niemann (D recruiting coordinator) and Phil are the best duo at their level in college sports. One could make a pretty good argument that their efforts are being wasted.
That I can wholeheartedly agree with, but in a way, it's contributing to the dysfunction like the wife staying with and having an abusive husband or the functional alcoholic. IC is nice, but so are a lot of other college towns. Phil stood in the shadow of his dad for such a long time.

The problem here is recruiting misses, pure and simple. When your starting front are all sophomores and freshmen (except for a RS senior who isn't very good), something went wrong.

Here's what Iowa has on the roster for seniors:

Matt Fagan - 3 garbage time appearances coming into the year, not on current depth chart.
Jack Plumb - 5 starts coming into the year.

And juniors:

Taylor Fox - walk-on, never seen the field, not on current depth chart.
Nick DeJong - 9 starts coming into the year.
Justin Britt - 3 starts coming into the year, not on current depth chart.
Tyler Endres - never seen the field, not on current depth chart.
Is there a reason why people don't get this?

Again with the portal.

I think folks assume the portal is some magic pool of talent waiting to be snapped up.

99% of players in the portal are guys who want more playing time, and don’t get playing time because they can’t break the two deeps on their own team. Why would that be something we would want to pursue?

The 24/7 portal tracker lists everyone who was in the portal at a given time. What particular O-lineman do you think Iowa should have gone after?
1000% true. A couple of years ago we got Coy Cronk who had started 36 straight games at Indiana. With that background, he was one to go after. There aren't going to be many guys with resume in the portal, and even he wasn't a difference maker.

1000% true. A couple of years ago we got Coy Cronk who had started 36 straight games at Indiana. With that background, he was one to go after. There aren't going to be many guys with resume in the portal, and even he wasn't a difference maker.

The average chud fan doesn't understand that dudes have to play as a team and that it doesn't happen instantly for Iowa football. I think Iowa is a program where if you have an average guy at a position like OL, LB or DB that average guy is going to be better for us for most of the season than a superstar transfer because there's so much shit to learn in the system. We've seen it time and time again with underclassmen who don't quite grasp their assignments or are just physically incapable of handling them, but the hope is always that yeah, you have to suffer through Tristan Wirfs not being able to seal the edge for a year or AJ Edds getting burned on a crossing route his first year as a starter but then we see miracles happen when those guys get reps in the system and they blossom into first round draft picks or the guy who will seal a game with a timely interception because he knows his role and was in the right place at the right time.

You're assuming what other people are assuming.

It's not bad to want more playing time, but generally if a guy isn't playing, his skill level isn't at the point where a lot of P5 schools are going to improve by adding them to the roster. At best it's a gamble because (due to the fact they aren't playing) there isn't any meaningful college tape to evaluate).

Most portal guys also are moving down to get more playing time. Leaving P5 for G5 or going to an underperforming school. That's not by accident.
Like Charlie Bell

The problem here is recruiting misses, pure and simple. When you're starting front are all sophomores and freshmen (except for a RS senior who isn't very good), something went wrong.

Here's what Iowa has on the roster for seniors:

Matt Fagan - 3 garbage time appearances coming into the year, not on current depth chart.
Jack Plumb - 5 starts coming into the year.

And juniors:

Taylor Fox - walk-on, never seen the field, not on current depth chart.
Nick DeJong - 9 starts coming into the year.
Justin Britt - 3 starts coming into the year, not on current depth chart.
Tyler Endres - never seen the field, not on current depth chart.
This is misleading. Britt had a season ending injury. By all accounts, he would have started at RG and played a big part in stabilizing or at least adding experienced depth on the interior. He is also a big dude. Plumb is not great, but he had starting experience and is starting now. Same with DeJong.

I get your point that the junior and senior classes are not as strong as we would have liked, but I think KF believed that the young line would come along. Getting guys some game experience and getting them in the correct positions took time. Things have gotten better on the OL and at the WR position and there has been some glimmers of competence the last three weeks. Glimmers.

The notion that a portal transfer or two would have come to Iowa, learned the system, passed all the guys in front of them, and made a material difference in the competency of this OL is a bit far fetched.

Latest posts