Kirk and Brian knew...

NCHawker

KF, Brian and George know enough about football to know that this oline was going to be DOA on opening day in September. No way they could have been surprised by the product that took the field.

I was surprised. But no way they were surprised. And so I'm surprised that they could not get a player or two from the portal.

I will be surprised if there are significant changes in offensive staff.

They also knew the wide receiver cupboard was bare and apparently did nothing via the portal.
I say apparently because it is possible they did go to the portal for help and couldn't land anyone.

It makes you wonder how much Iowa is willing to pony up the money for the portal.....or how stuck behind the times the program is there.

KF, Brian and George know enough about football to know that this oline was going to be DOA on opening day in September. No way they could have been surprised by the product that took the field.

I was surprised. But no way they were surprised. And so I'm surprised that they could not get a player or two from the portal.

I will be surprised if there are significant changes in offensive staff.
Again with the portal.

I think folks assume the portal is some magic pool of talent waiting to be snapped up.

99% of players in the portal are guys who want more playing time, and don’t get playing time because they can’t break the two deeps on their own team. Why would that be something we would want to pursue?

The 24/7 portal tracker lists everyone who was in the portal at a given time. What particular O-lineman do you think Iowa should have gone after?

Again with the portal.

I think folks assume the portal is some magic pool of talent waiting to be snapped up.

99% of players in the portal are guys who want more playing time, and don’t get playing time because they can’t break the two deeps on their own team. Why would that be something we would want to pursue?

The 24/7 portal tracker lists everyone who was in the portal at a given time. What particular O-lineman do you think Iowa should have gone after?
Apparently you don't remember a semi-average QB named Russell Wilson that transferred to Wisconsin and did OK. Clearly transfers are always better than your current roster, just ask Russell.

They are complacent. They have the whole season to try and figure out how to win 7 games and keep their jobs.

Apparently you don't remember a semi-average QB named Russell Wilson that transferred to Wisconsin and did OK. Clearly transfers are always better than your current roster, just ask Russell.

Wilson was an all ACC player who was a good enough athlete to play pro baseball. I don't think anyone thought he was semi-average. Joe Burrow, now there was a guy who grad transferred who was a no-name who became a star with a transfer. Why can't Ferentz just find a Joe Burrow every year?

The problem here is recruiting misses, pure and simple. When you're starting front are all sophomores and freshmen (except for a RS senior who isn't very good), something went wrong.

Here's what Iowa has on the roster for seniors:

Matt Fagan - 3 garbage time appearances coming into the year, not on current depth chart.
Jack Plumb - 5 starts coming into the year.

And juniors:

Taylor Fox - walk-on, never seen the field, not on current depth chart.
Nick DeJong - 9 starts coming into the year.
Justin Britt - 3 starts coming into the year, not on current depth chart.
Tyler Endres - never seen the field, not on current depth chart.

I don't recall Charlie Jones being in the portal until a few days before he transferred. I could be wrong. Yet somehow Jones already knew where he was going. Maybe that's a special case. Idk.

But overall I agree that the portal is over-rated as a solution. As Donald Rumsfeld used to say, you go to war with the soldiers you got, not the soldiers you wish you had, or something like that. Maybe he was talking about some kind of special weapon or special armor we didn't have, anyway I digress.

The point is Iowa got nobody worthwhile from the portal and knew full well during August practice the OL and WR were going to suck. So what game plan did they come up with? Change nothing and just practice, practice, practice until they start to get better. Unfortunately it took 8 games to START to show signs of improvement on offense. Iowa was never going to win against Mich or OSU, but Iowa essentially blew the ISU and ILL games because the offense could not score more than a single TD.

My point is, maybe the Iowa coaches could have come up with a better plan in August. It should not take 8 games to figure it out.

They are raising a lot of money in the Swarm Collective right now. I know because I'm participating at a relatively modest level and have access to the information.

Yes, obviously there were some recruiting misses.

But we are playing for another title these next 2 weeks.

If you want to make a difference as an Iowa fan, contribute to the Swarm Collective. Any amount makes a difference.

The problem here is recruiting misses, pure and simple. When you're starting front are all sophomores and freshmen (except for a RS senior who isn't very good), something went wrong.

Here's what Iowa has on the roster for seniors:

Matt Fagan - 3 garbage time appearances coming into the year, not on current depth chart.
Jack Plumb - 5 starts coming into the year.

And juniors:

Taylor Fox - walk-on, never seen the field, not on current depth chart.
Nick DeJong - 9 starts coming into the year.
Justin Britt - 3 starts coming into the year, not on current depth chart.
Tyler Endres - never seen the field, not on current depth chart.

Thats a good breakdown. Now let's do the D-line ;)
Maybe there is a reason the previous O-LIne coach moved on... maybe they saw the talent that they had to work with two years ago

I think their were like 50ish Qbs alone in the portal this last yr. How many of them are worse then Petras that'd be the smaller number.

My point is, maybe the Iowa coaches could have come up with a better plan in August.

I'm curious about this - what exactly do you do when you have not one turnstile on the o-line but rather 3 or more turnstiles on the o-line? That throws out anything over 15 yards because the QB won't have time. So now the defense is all crowded around the line because they know you won't have time to throw deep and that your WRs aren't going to beat their DBs. So without any deep threat, what do you do?

Again with the portal.

A crap lineman playing for a crap team.....TCU. Horrible idea.

Why assume someone wanting playing time is bad?
You're assuming what other people are assuming.

It's not bad to want more playing time, but generally if a guy isn't playing, his skill level isn't at the point where a lot of P5 schools are going to improve by adding them to the roster. At best it's a gamble because (due to the fact they aren't playing) there isn't any meaningful college tape to evaluate).

Most portal guys also are moving down to get more playing time. Leaving P5 for G5 or going to an underperforming school. That's not by accident.