Kirk and Brian knew...

I know CB pretty well and it's predominantly Hawkeye oriented. Having lived at one time in Fremont, NE it rather surprised me. Off the tracks, CB does have it's issue but there are a lot of things to like about it...including all the Hawk fans.

I know Iowa has pulled a few lineman out of Council Bluffs but I still wouldn't call it Iowa's backyard. I forget his name but I remember Iowa lost a highly rated TE to Nebraska and I don't think Iowa made Max Duggan's final list, the services say he chose TCU over Nebraska.

JMO

The notion that a portal transfer or two would have come to Iowa, learned the system, passed all the guys in front of them, and made a material difference in the competency of this OL is a bit far fetched.
My post was not intended to promote the idea of going to the portal.

I know CB pretty well and it's predominantly Hawkeye oriented. Having lived at one time in Fremont, NE it rather surprised me. Off the tracks, CB does have it's issue but there are a lot of things to like about it...including all the Hawk fans.
I know Iowa has pulled a few lineman out of Council Bluffs but I still wouldn't call it Iowa's backyard. I forget his name but I remember Iowa lost a highly rated TE to Nebraska and I don't think Iowa made Max Duggan's final list, the services say he chose TCU over Nebraska.

JMO
Again, Duggan was never going to come here anyway, his playing style is Big 8 all the way. Iowa doesn't do any of the things he's made a name for himself for.

There's really no way to call a kid a miss when he wasn't going to ever fit in here to begin with. We all know Ferentz doesn't operate the way Duggan plays. We don't have to like it, but it doesn't change the reality.

Again, Duggan was never going to come here anyway, his playing style is Big 8 all the way. Iowa doesn't do any of the things he's made a name for himself for.

There's really no way to call a kid a miss when he wasn't going to ever fit in here to begin with. We all know Ferentz doesn't operate the way Duggan plays. We don't have to like it, but it doesn't change the reality.

Not sure why my reply was included on this, I've never suggested Duggan was ever seriously considering Iowa all I know is Iowa offered him. All I'm saying is I don't consider Council Bluffs to be Iowa's "back yard".

Again, now it is making sense. The issue is the "sense" of KF that drives most of us batty.

Before your time, but Purdue, Iowa, IL and others at times put on some pretty good QB shows back in the 80s/90s and some of us miss that.

Waiting for O-Line the recruiting, retention and development to approach that of the D-line

1668536782571.png

Last edited:
My post was not intended to promote the idea of going to the portal.
I didn't take it that way, Fry. I think you made your position clear on the portal and it seems inline with mine. I was making two points. I should have separated my post into two posts.

I am not expecting any changes, but honestly, the only realistic fix is to leave BF the OC and assistant head coach, but move him to position coach of the OL and take away playcalling. He is competent at coaching the OL. Fire the OL coach and bring in a QB coach from outside that both knows how to coach up QBs and can call plays within the KF parameters. Wholesale changes or firing the coach's son seem highly unlikely. I will take incremental change over status quo.

I am not expecting any changes, but honestly, the only realistic fix is to leave BF the OC and assistant head coach, but move him to position coach of the OL and take away playcalling. He is competent at coaching the OL. Fire the OL coach and bring in a QB coach from outside that both knows how to coach up QBs and can call plays within the KF parameters. Wholesale changes or firing the coach's son seem highly unlikely. I will take incremental change over status quo.

Seriously he is competent? He is the head OC coach. He's not getting demoted.

Seriously he is competent? He is the head OC coach. He's not getting demoted.
Its not a demotion. He is still the OC. He is just switching positions from one that he has never played or coached before, to his playing position and one that he has coached successfully. You could massage the play calling issue.

KF isn't going to fire his son. Maybe they both decide that putting him in charge of what he knows is setting him up for success and not failure.

Its not a demotion. He is still the OC. He is just switching positions from one that he has never played or coached before, to his playing position and one that he has coached successfully. You could massage the play calling issue.

KF isn't going to fire his son. Maybe they both decide that putting him in charge of what he knows is setting him up for success and not failure.
The problem is that he really might be not competent.

Again with the portal.

I think folks assume the portal is some magic pool of talent waiting to be snapped up.

99% of players in the portal are guys who want more playing time, and don’t get playing time because they can’t break the two deeps on their own team. Why would that be something we would want to pursue? The 24/7 portal tracker lists everyone who was in the portal at a given time. What particular O-lineman do you think Iowa should have gone after?
According to 24/7, B10 teams had 25 OL portal transfers on their two-deep rosters at midseason. So clearly B10 level talent was available and looking for a place to play
I think that most of those 25 would be an upgrade over our current OL talent.

In addition to the OL, B10 teams have the following portal transfers on their offensive two-deeps:
11 QB's
21 WR's

Only two B10 teams did not have in a portal player on their two-deeps at these positions. Ohio State (for obvious reasons) and Iowa (for inexplicable reasons).

Some notables among our B10 West peers:
Illinois brought in a total of 6, including QB DaVito, 2 WR's and 2 OL (on a OL that ran for 200 on Iowa)
Minnesota brought in 4 including 3 OL who will be playing against us this week.

So, yes. I do think there was talent out there, not just dregs and back benchers.
And, yes. I do think Iowa should have brought in such talent from the portal to shore up our current offensive roster.

Minnesota brought in 4 including 3 OL who will be playing against us this week.
Looking at the portal site I'm seeing Chuck Filiaga and Quinn Carroll as OL transfers in, and Carroll was way back in January.

Who am I missing? Not saying you're wrong, just wondering who the 3 are.

I think their were like 50ish Qbs alone in the portal this last yr. How many of them are worse then Petras that'd be the smaller number.
But of those 50ish QB's the player pool drastically diminishes when you remove the QB's that would want absolutely no part in Iowa's scheme or our offense. Just because they're in the portal doesn't mean they'd be interested in Iowa if Iowa was interested in them.

Looking at the portal site I'm seeing Chuck Filiaga and Quinn Carroll as OL transfers in, and Carroll was way back in January.

Who am I missing? Not saying you're wrong, just wondering who the 3 are.
#2 LG Karter Shaw
Transfer from Utah State.
To be fair, he was a '21 transfer, but nonetheless a portal add.

I'm not sure they knew how bad it was going to be.....until the week before.
They had to have had some inkling, for sure. Due to the size and youth of the offensive line.

Remember that ominous post someone had about an unusual closed, indoor scrimmage like a week or two before game 1? Where the #1s on offense just couldn't do anything against even the #2s on defense. And the #1 defense was just lights out, it didn't even make sense to continue. Or something like that.

And there was general "sounds like internet tinfoilery" as a response. In hindsight, yah....no. If it happened, they knew, for sure then.

I have little to no ability to judge ability of individual players. Other than maybe QBs, runningbacks, kickers, and maybe a defensive back or linebacker. And that's only basically many games in. How much can they REALLY tell during the runup to the season....or at least the point they are well past running drills, learning the plays, etc.....and are actually attempting to execute what they would have to do in a real game with the personnel that will likely be on the field at that point?

I mean, my only point of reference is Hard Knocks. And I think they have no idea what 70% of the players (who didn't play the previous year) are capable of in a game. In other words, they have to see most players in a game or two (as opposed to my several games) before they know. Maybe they're a little better on those skill type players than I am. RBs/WRs/QBs....etc...and they can tell right away from drills. But how well is your line gonna do? Or your defensive line?

Definitely, not everyone is trash,... I mean look at what Purdue did with the portal,.... they picked up a WR that is leading the B10 in yards and receptions. Imagine if we could get someone that talented in the portal s/

Last edited:
Not sure why my reply was included on this, I've never suggested Duggan was ever seriously considering Iowa all I know is Iowa offered him. All I'm saying is I don't consider Council Bluffs to be Iowa's "back yard".
Guilt by association... :cool:

Latest posts