Kids day

longtimer

Wasn't there but according to good sources that were there both Cade and Sullivan were bad. they said best news was Cade didn't get hurt. Add on the posts that I have seen that our recruiting class is last in the big ten and it wasn't a great day
Interested if anyone was there and what they saw

They’ve practiced like 10 days w/ this new offense. It’s why I believe they lose to isu but still end up 10-2. I’ll take it. Go Hawks!

In reading the reports, the QB and WR play seem eerily similar to the last several years.

Last edited:
B1G Teams with new offensive coordinators

Ohio State
Michigan
Michigan State
Penn State
Washington
UCLA
Purdue
Indiana
Iowa
Northwestern

I say we take a pause from the visit to Panic Town. As others have noted, this is a brand new offense for everyone. And, in these early scrimmages, the D always has an advantage over the O because D's are simpler and the D kinda knows what is coming for the most part. Even if they don't know the play exactly, they know the offense is going to be running its base sets. Not hard to defend. Add onto that we have one of the best returning Ds in the country facing up against THE worst O in the country. So, ya know.....

Has there ever been a KF Kids Day where someone said, "The offense just lit up the defense!"

Its a work in progress, and if it was really bad QB play, glad we have some depth there with three guys who have started Big10 games. Let's see how things look in three weeks against a weaker defense.

In fairness as has been pointed out it was just a practice with a totally new offense and after only a week’s practice. Obviously Cade is going to be rusty and his timing is going to be off.

If we look this bad at our first game then there will be reason to be concerned.

One podcast I watched said Cade had like five or six passes knocked down at the line of scrimmage. Unfortunately we aren’t Michigan and at this point no elite receivers have stepped forward. Elite receivers no how to go get the pass even when it is thrown poorly.

I had a friends who I seen make unbelievable catches but he never even made the cut on the college team he tried out for.

I am not even going to make any conclusions as there in plenty of time for the players to make great strides.

From all the podcast I have seen over the last few months it sounds like the methodology will be a run first and run often or Kirk ball. I hope not as I think most fans are ready for some excitement from the offense.

One other thing is that several podcast host stated that all the quarterbacks looked poor. Sullivan wasn’t anything to write home about but several people thought he performed better than Cade.

Several commentators said the offensive line looked stronger and much improved.

Last edited:
From all the podcast I have seen over the last few months it sounds like the methodology will be a run first and run often or Kirk ball. I hope not as I think most fans are ready for some excitement from the offense.
A great running attack can be damn exciting. I remember 2002 watching Freddy Russell gash teams for 10 yards before being touched. Watching Greene run was a thing of beauty.

Most wise offensive coaches understand that you almost always need a successful running game as a base for your air attack and to keep your QB from becoming a tackling dummy. Even the Chiefs run quite a bit. Ball control, clock control, LOS control, mentally wearing down the D......

I expect our new offense to look a lot like our old offense.
It won't. It certainly will not look the same structurally. It may look similarly inept at first, but I have faith that a better OC and improved QB play will lead to a competent looking offense. It may just take some time.

It won't. It certainly will not look the same structurally. It may look similarly inept at first, but I have faith that a better OC and improved QB play will lead to a competent looking offense. It may just take some time.
If anything at all will help is to just get D's to not know by default or watching line shifts at snap know what play IA's offense is running, it will be a huge gain in terms of execution.

In the past they would key on the guards and wherever they moved the LBs would crash that side. Which is why the counters always worked so well but they never ran enough of them.

I'm not convinced we have a better OC or improved QB play but definitely willing to give it time. I also think Iowa is going to win 9 or 10 games this season as well. Just not really expecting a better offense or QB. My optimism lay mostly in our coaching staff knowing how to win games with the parts they have.

I'm not convinced we have a better OC or improved QB play but definitely willing to give it time. I also think Iowa is going to win 9 or 10 games this season as well. Just not really expecting a better offense or QB. My optimism lay mostly in our coaching staff knowing how to win games with the parts they have.
Man, that first sentence just blows my mind. I believe that Brian Ferentz was one of the singularly worst OC's in the country the last three years. The only person who thought otherwise was his father/boss. I think you could throw a stick into just about any offensive coaching box in the country and hit any coach and do better than BF. We got a guy who has been a QB, QB coach, OC, head coach, and NFL analyst. Pretty sure we upgraded.

As for QB, read everything I said above and apply it to Hill compared to this year's QB room.

The offense may not be awesome this year, but it will be better.

If anything at all will help is to just get D's to not know by default or watching line shifts at snap know what play IA's offense is running, it will be a huge gain in terms of execution.

In the past they would key on the guards and wherever they moved the LBs would crash that side. Which is why the counters always worked so well but they never ran enough of them.
For sure. If ever Iowa's QB took a step back from center, yells to the left, then yells to the right, and gets back under center, then all the D had to do was send both LBs in the guard tackle gaps and one of them will run right into the tailback......

Man, that first sentence just blows my mind. I believe that Brian Ferentz was one of the singularly worst OC's in the country the last three years. The only person who thought otherwise was his father/boss. I think you could throw a stick into just about any offensive coaching box in the country and hit any coach and do better than BF. We got a guy who has been a QB, QB coach, OC, head coach, and NFL analyst. Pretty sure we upgraded.

As for QB, read everything I said above and apply it to Hill compared to this year's QB room.

The offense may not be awesome this year, but it will be better.
Yeah, well, I kind of look at it like this. How did it go the last time Iowa completely revamped it's offense? How does it go at most other places when they completely revamp or bring in a new coach, style and philosophy? I'm sure some of them go well but for the most part, when doing something like that you're at risk of things not going very well or as "planned". I don't have faith that this years offense or QB play is going to be leaps and bounds better than last season. That's just my opinion. I wasn't really thrilled about watching this current coaching staff install a new offense at this point in Kirk's career. I also don't think he particularly wants it to be night and day better because, well, then everyone else was right. I predict it's going to look an awful lot like what we've been watching for the last several years now and that's mostly because it's new, it's got a new QB, a new OC and also, the same guy who's always called the shots.

Again, that's just the realist in me heading into the year.

A great running attack can be damn exciting. I remember 2002 watching Freddy Russell gash teams for 10 yards before being touched. Watching Greene run was a thing of beauty.

Most wise offensive coaches understand that you almost always need a successful running game as a base for your air attack and to keep your QB from becoming a tackling dummy. Even the Chiefs run quite a bit. Ball control, clock control, LOS control, mentally wearing down the D......

Totally agree.

Hopefully we will see a much improved running game, however most fans are not going to appreciate two yards and a cloud of dust followed by a punt. Last year was the equivalent of being water boarded.