Kids day

I'm not convinced we have a better OC or improved QB play but definitely willing to give it time. I also think Iowa is going to win 9 or 10 games this season as well. Just not really expecting a better offense or QB. My optimism lay mostly in our coaching staff knowing how to win games with the parts they have.
Can't be worse so by that alone I am. BF situationally was a terrible play caller. He wasn't aggressive when it called for it and their game plans never made sense for how to attack specific opponents. I just think it'll take time. Look at Wisconsin last yr. They totally blew up what they'd had going and for some odd reason folks thought they'd still chug along winning like how they'd been. Well not so fast. It's a big ask to hope for a seamless transition between OCs in one yr. The Oline all having been around for so many starts at least gives me hope that all is not going to be doom and gloom. But we'll see.

.I think Lester knows what he's doing. I think just having everything being brand new to all the players and other coaches will take time to learn. We'll see false starts and hesitations with guys not being sure about what to do. That's what sucks cause how much of Cades/QBs struggles will be chalked up to that and how much will be to their own actual play will be tough to differentiate. When we see a wide open Lachey in the flat and say he over throws him by 2 yards or throws it behind him that'll be easy to tell. But they'll be times when it isn't.

Yeah, well, I kind of look at it like this. How did it go the last time Iowa completely revamped it's offense? How does it go at most other places when they completely revamp or bring in a new coach, style and philosophy? I'm sure some of them go well but for the most part, when doing something like that you're at risk of things not going very well or as "planned". I don't have faith that this years offense or QB play is going to be leaps and bounds better than last season. That's just my opinion. I wasn't really thrilled about watching this current coaching staff install a new offense at this point in Kirk's career. I also don't think he particularly wants it to be night and day better because, well, then everyone else was right. I predict it's going to look an awful lot like what we've been watching for the last several years now and that's mostly because it's new, it's got a new QB, a new OC and also, the same guy who's always called the shots.

Again, that's just the realist in me heading into the year.

There is truth in your words as many teams have struggled after incorporating a new offense, but I can visualize two Iowa fans standing over a large swimming pool looking at someone lying motionless at the bottom of the pool and debating on options. Call 911? Drain the pool? Jump in a try to pull the guy out?

Doing nothing is not an option here.

Can't be worse so by that alone I am. BF situationally was a terrible play caller. He wasn't aggressive when it called for it and their game plans never made sense for how to attack specific opponents. I just think it'll take time. Look at Wisconsin last yr. They totally blew up what they'd had going and for some odd reason folks thought they'd still chug along winning like how they'd been. Well not so fast. It's a big ask to hope for a seamless transition between OCs in one yr. The Oline all having been around for so many starts at least gives me hope that all is not going to be doom and gloom. But we'll see.

.I think Lester knows what he's doing. I think just having everything being brand new to all the players and other coaches will take time to learn. We'll see false starts and hesitations with guys not being sure about what to do. That's what sucks cause how much of Cades/QBs struggles will be chalked up to that and how much will be to their own actual play will be tough to differentiate. When we see a wide open Lachey in the flat and say he over throws him by 2 yards or throws it behind him that'll be easy to tell. But they'll be times when it isn't.

There is truth in your words as many teams have struggled after incorporating a new offense, but I can visualize two Iowa fans standing over a large swimming pool looking at someone lying motionless at the bottom of the pool and debating on options. Call 911? Drain the pool? Jump in a try to pull the guy out?

Doing nothing is not an option here.

I agree with both of you, I just don't know that I necessarily expect positive changes and better results out of the gate. Personally, and again, this is just me personally right, not you guys or even other Iowa fans at all. I also know that the ole "well, anything is better than what we had" over simplification, but I think it's just that. It CAN get worse imo, Iowa could lose these games instead of eeking out a way to win them and something as trivial as replacing a new offense could derail what normally could have been a 10 or 11 win season at Iowa. Personally, I would have higher hopes coming into this year with the same OC we've had and not the entire offense learning new nomenclature, schemes, blocking fundamentals and plays. There are new rules with QB helmet/headphones, a new QB that is on his 3rd new offense in the last 3 years. I look at that and I think.... well, pump the breaks here. We might not be all that better on offense. We might still win games the same way we have for a bit here based on great D, special teams and a complimentary offense that can strike when it needs to. I am still pretty optimistic because overall, we have a guy in charge that knows how to win football games and sometimes, that's all ya need.

coming from you, the great optimist, thats saying something.
people think that i am a great optimist and in general, I would say that I am when it comes to Iowa sports. I also have watched every second of every game in both Iowa football and basketball for close to 30 years. I like to think of myself as realistic.

I agree with both of you, I just don't know that I necessarily expect positive changes and better results out of the gate. Personally, and again, this is just me personally right, not you guys or even other Iowa fans at all. I also know that the ole "well, anything is better than what we had" over simplification, but I think it's just that. It CAN get worse imo, Iowa could lose these games instead of eeking out a way to win them and something as trivial as replacing a new offense could derail what normally could have been a 10 or 11 win season at Iowa. Personally, I would have higher hopes coming into this year with the same OC we've had and not the entire offense learning new nomenclature, schemes, blocking fundamentals and plays. There are new rules with QB helmet/headphones, a new QB that is on his 3rd new offense in the last 3 years. I look at that and I think.... well, pump the breaks here. We might not be all that better on offense. We might still win games the same way we have for a bit here based on great D, special teams and a complimentary offense that can strike when it needs to. I am still pretty optimistic because overall, we have a guy in charge that knows how to win football games and sometimes, that's all ya need.
You certainly hit on a great point. End of the day the O could actually be marginally better and it result in some losses. Iowa plays within such a tight margin of error anyway that teams like MN, IL, NE can all get us even if we put up 100 more yards/gm and 10 more pts. The optimist in me is really really hoping that having an experienced Qb/OL will be what tips the scales. Stay away from the big mistakes especially in key moments and we'll always have a punchers chance. Starts up front with the running game. If O can just operate from 3rd and 3 or less more often instead of 3rd and 9 that alone would make Lesters job 1000 times easier then what BF ever made it for himself.

Yeah, well, I kind of look at it like this. How did it go the last time Iowa completely revamped it's offense? How does it go at most other places when they completely revamp or bring in a new coach, style and philosophy? I'm sure some of them go well but for the most part, when doing something like that you're at risk of things not going very well or as "planned". I don't have faith that this years offense or QB play is going to be leaps and bounds better than last season. That's just my opinion. I wasn't really thrilled about watching this current coaching staff install a new offense at this point in Kirk's career. I also don't think he particularly wants it to be night and day better because, well, then everyone else was right. I predict it's going to look an awful lot like what we've been watching for the last several years now and that's mostly because it's new, it's got a new QB, a new OC and also, the same guy who's always called the shots.

Again, that's just the realist in me heading into the year.
At the risks of trying to nudge you into a happier place, the other two times Iowa has changed OC's under KF, it was not literally the worst offense in America for 3 years running. That is why I say it will be better. Things were not awesome under KOK, but his offenses were competent. I am not a Greg Davis fan at all, but his offenses scored at times. BF started out ok but then literally fell off a cliff. So, do I think Lester will get the offense back to where it was under KOK or even Davis? Probably, but even if he can't do that, its just not a hard hill to climb to be better.

And, it will look different. BF did not run any version of a West Coast Offense.

Not very good at moving the ball.
Oh, that much could certainly be true.

But, the offense will look different in terms of formations, play calling, motion, etc. And, it will be better than last year, but it could still stink. Watching the 104th best offense in the country is still pretty painful.

Again, my hopes are only that we field an approaching average offense. That is all I can muster to hope for in August. Ugggg. I feel like a Nebraska fan wishing for a 6-6 season.......

I thought Sullivan looked a lot better than McNamara and that Lainez looked as good as Sullivan. I hope Cade can get back to where he was at Michigan but until then someone else should start.

A great running attack can be damn exciting. I remember 2002 watching Freddy Russell gash teams for 10 yards before being touched. Watching Greene run was a thing of beauty.

Most wise offensive coaches understand that you almost always need a successful running game as a base for your air attack and to keep your QB from becoming a tackling dummy. Even the Chiefs run quite a bit. Ball control, clock control, LOS control, mentally wearing down the D......
Ummm…that years qb was the b10 poy and heisman runner-.up so there’s that…

From those that went to this how many of the throws that Cade missed on were actually bad throws by him? Was he just missing open receivers or is there more to the story? If he's got his feet set clean pocket and missing wide open 10 yard slant/comeback or out throws then sure put our worry caps on. But if the throws he's missing are due to the rush and great coverage then that's a timing/Oline/WRs not getting separation thing. I wasn't there and it's tough to evaluate the videos cause the angles of the field are so low. I'm curious by those that were there kinda what they think.

Don't forget Iowa lost its most powerful weapon, Tory Taylor is with the Bears now.

Interesting

It's too bad KF doesn't have Chuck on the staff.... There's no better resource out there. BF needed all the help he could get during his time. I wish I knew the story why KF and Chuck had a falling out of sorts and why in the heck after all these years they couldn't bury it and get him back on the staff. Chuck clearly loves Iowa and who better to coach Qbs and help run an O then him? Even as an analyst he doesn't have to be OC. Just having him in the building working with QBs coulda made a world of difference in helping BF and developing Stanley, Petras, etc etc etc

It's too bad KF doesn't have Chuck on the staff.... There's no better resource out there. BF needed all the help he could get during his time. I wish I knew the story why KF and Chuck had a falling out of sorts and why in the heck after all these years they couldn't bury it and get him back on the staff. Chuck clearly loves Iowa and who better to coach Qbs and help run an O then him? Even as an analyst he doesn't have to be OC. Just having him in the building working with QBs coulda made a world of difference in helping BF and developing Stanley, Petras, etc etc etc
+1.

That said, KF does not seem to appreciate voices of dissent. He likes everyone rowing in the same direction. Sycophants and Yes Men. :) My guess is that Chuck and he just didn't jive. Or, perhaps adding Chuck to the staff might have put a wrench in his long term succession plan for Brian. Hard to say, but we have desperately needed a QB coach at Iowa for a long time now. Lester fits the bill.

Latest posts