KEN O'KEEFE... Mailed IT IN!

The only way that Penn State was going to win the game (i.e. score three times) on our defense would be if Iowa gave them great field position or turnover or both. I think with the bad field position Iowa had in the second half, KOK (and KF) decided to play the odds and that meant playing it very safe. It would have been nice if they had fit in a few more short passes or screens, though. Still safe but not quite so predictable.

Seriously? Micah Hyde and Prater both got toasted for what should've been 6 in both cases. When you have a secondary as vulunerable as ours, a 14pt lead isn't much of a cushion. Bad field position was due to PSU having the momentum in the second half. Are you just supposed to concede this momentum and terrible field position or try to gain some momentum for yourself by attempting to have a decent, sustained drive to take some pressure off your defense?

If points do not matter tell that to the people who vote teams on the weekly polls. If you don't cream a team by 50 you don't move. Not to mention some of the players on offense would like to become pro's, and if the players don't get some good numbers up then they won't be drafted.

its a long season...all that matters at the end is wins. Tonight Iowa beat a average team and at the end of the year the fact that they beat PSU by 21 instead of 42 wont matter

we have the ability to put the game away... why is that unrealistic?

amazing that someone thinks differently

Amazing that after 12 years people expect Iowa to run it up...when Iowa got to 17 they shut it down because the coaches knew it was over. Time for fans to accept the fact that coaches only care about wins and not style points

I don't think we need to put up 70, but 35-45 would've been nice tonight. It's Big Ten play- put the game away.
Would have been nice to get more guys some experience if we would have put 2-3 more drives together with scores...2nd half was lackluster, put my 8 yr old son to sleep by end of 3rd qtr

its a long season...all that matters at the end is wins. Tonight Iowa beat a average team and at the end of the year the fact that they beat PSU by 21 instead of 42 wont matter

agree on the win. but this game SHOULD have been put away earlier.

Amazing that after 12 years people expect Iowa to run it up...when Iowa got to 17 they shut it down because the coaches knew it was over. Time for fans to accept the fact that coaches only care about wins and not style points

/thread

:)

We have some pretty unrealistic fans...win 24-3 against a top 25 team and there is still room to complain? AMAZING

When you have a chance to put the game away in the second quarter, yet revert to prevent offense, that's what most are upset about. No one can argue how stellar the D played tonight. You just can't let teams hang around with you when you have the chance to put them away.

When you have a chance to put the game away in the second quarter, yet revert to prevent offense, that's what most are upset about. No one can argue how stellar the D played tonight. You just can't let teams hang around with you when you have the chance to put them away.

echo...

Run it up? Do you really think Ferentz thought the game was over at halftime? Come on man....

I think Kirk and Ken played it like they wanted to in that any wrinkle they need to use against Wisconsin, Michigan State or OSU is still in their back pocket. As soon as Iowa stopped Boldin on the 1/2 yardline I knew PSU wasn't going to score again. I know people are whining, but this is Iowa football.

Yep. It ain't necessarily pretty, but it's effective.

Does anyone on here really think that after going 8 for 9 against Joe Pa, Kirk Ferentz doesn't have a clue about what's going to work against Penn State? Those running plays for little gain ate up a bunch of clock, the defense kept PSU out of the endzone, we managed the field position better than they did, end of story.

Have you also considered that in hindsight it was good A-Rob was stopped just short of the goal line on his 11-yard rush late in the first half, then stopped on first and goal? That ate up probably 35-40 seconds. After Ricky's plunge for the TD, Penn State had only 1:41 to drive the length of the field. Prater's TD-saving tackle left Penn State with only six seconds, they didn't manage the clock well and wound up with only a FG.

Penn State really had no chance of winning. Sure it would be nice to win 56-3 but that isnt Iowa football....the sooner some accept that the sooner we can move on

Penn State really had no chance of winning. Sure it would be nice to win 56-3 but that isnt Iowa football....the sooner some accept that the sooner we can move on

nobody said win it 56-3... but winning it 35-3 by about 12 mins in the 4th quarter wouldn't have been a stretch

Run it up? Do you really think Ferentz thought the game was over at halftime? Come on man....

Actually I do...Do you think KF thought PSU could score 17 in the 2nd half? PSU was never scoring 20 in this game. Thats why when PSU was about to get to 10 in the 2nd half you werent really stressed

Have you also considered that in hindsight it was good A-Rob was stopped just short of the goal line on his 11-yard rush late in the first half, then stopped on first and goal? That ate up probably 35-40 seconds. After Ricky's plunge for the TD, Penn State had only 1:41 to drive the length of the field. Prater's TD-saving tackle left Penn State with only six seconds, they didn't manage the clock well and wound up with only a FG.

talking about the play that prater had to make an awesome tackle after blowing coverage? don't blow the coverage and this is a non issue. i get what your saying, but the flipside is what it is.

You're implying that Iowa got conservative so as not to run up the score, when it reality it was to "protect" a lead. Two completely different scenarios.

OK, I sat here at my house watching the game with a friend of mine from Michigan... he agreed that Iowa could take a knee on offense and punt the ball and that was basically what they were doing.
The biggest problem? It doesn't give us any value in the polls, and no... it wasn't being nice to Penn State, as a matter of fact it had to be worse for them. IOWA COULD HAVE BEAT PENN ST BY 50.
The best part? Teams think Iowa has no offense. We gave no defensive coordinator any film to look at. IT was boring. At the beginning of the game Iowa knew they would win and the players were all doing the SHHH gesture... look at it on DVR. That was a true indication of the game. Don't pay attention to us, nothing to see here, move along.
It was a dominant. We dominated Penn State much more easily than Alabama did... heck... bring Alabama to Iowa City and let's see what they can do?
Damn Arizona game... ugh. Defeated ourselves with a punt block, kick return, and fluke 80+ yard interception or we are where we should be. Arizona had no business beating the Hawkeyes, but they did. We will pay for it.
Speaking of Michigan... Robinson will not play that game injury free... he can't just be running willy nilly against us or he will get hurt. I think the Ohio State at Iowa game AT Iowa will be ugly too... much uglier than anyone imagines.

Latest posts