KEN O'KEEFE... Mailed IT IN!

We had terrible field position in the second half. No need to take a lot of risk with aggressive play calling when we are sitting on a two touchdown lead.

Yep, and we had our chance with decent field position after we worked ourselves out of bad field position many times as well.

next

Holy sh#t you fing crybabies! Its called playing with the lead and the number 1 defense in the land. If you want cutesy playcalling move to boise! That was iowa football and a good w. Kok and kf know what they're doing. Go play your dynasty on your videogame and run the wildcat all you want. Great d, great punter, in control of the game equals conservative play calling and look what happened. Win over penn state, again. You don't get it

KF's approach has always been ball control offense and a stout defense, nothing new here.

Exactly...but does that mean we can NEVER vary from that recipe? Even if it means throwing ARob at 8 and 9 man fronts hellbent on stopping the run?

Hey, I'm as happy as a clam (and several adult beverages in) that we are 1-0 in conference and passed a decent sized hurdle on our schedule, but I don't think it's asking too much to not go into a shell with 5 minutes to go in the 3rd quarter.

Holy sh#t you fing crybabies! Its called playing with the lead and the number 1 defense in the land. If you want cutesy playcalling move to boise! That was iowa football and a good w. Kok and kf know what they're doing. Go play your dynasty on your videogame and run the wildcat all you want. Great d, great punter, in control of the game equals conservative play calling and look what happened. Win over penn state, again. You don't get it

WHOA! timeout-

you can play with the lead and still act like you're interested in playing offense. YOU... sir... before you tell people the don't get it need to slow down. Our punter is awesome. Our D is awesome... Nobody is saying run the spread on every down- but you CAN open it up more than what we did, and if you don't get THAT... than you are the one that doesn't get it SIR...

KF's approach has always been ball control offense and a stout defense, nothing new here.

Well, you don't control the ball when you run to the left a couple of times then take a sack and have to punt.

Ball control = making an effort to move the ball down the field. Something we really didn't bother to do in the 2nd half.

I don't have DVR but I'd like to see the numbers on stretch/off tackle calls on 1st downs and the number of times Iowa was 2nd and 11 or 12 or 13.

I didn't think there was any way PSU was going to score 18 points. But they did leave points on the field. 17 point leads are typically "safe" against non-spread teams -- especially against Iowa's defense. But the comfort level of the game wasn't there in the 2nd half because PSU had field advantage the entire 2nd half.

Still, I'd like to have a breather game once in awhile against top caliber competition when it's possible to do so.

Yeah, I can totally understand running left side constantly. What OC wouldn't when you avg a yard? Horrible play calling in 3rd. Typical Iowa O, score 7 points and hold it.

Tonight's game was like watching a 1-0 pitcher's duel. The casual fan hates it, the purists love it. But that 14 point lead might as well have been 40. We could have taken 3 knees & punted the entire 4th quarter and it wouldn't have mattered.

The only way that Penn State was going to win the game (i.e. score three times) on our defense would be if Iowa gave them great field position or turnover or both. I think with the bad field position Iowa had in the second half, KOK (and KF) decided to play the odds and that meant playing it very safe. It would have been nice if they had fit in a few more short passes or screens, though. Still safe but not quite so predictable.

Tonight's game was like watching a 1-0 pitcher's duel. The casual fan hates it, the purists love it. But that 14 point lead might as well have been 40. We could have taken 3 knees & punted the entire 4th quarter and it wouldn't have mattered.

I get what you're saying but I think you're over-generalizing a little bit. Let me stress this and say I love the fact we owned PSU tonite, but man our offense has so much more potential.

If points do not matter tell that to the people who vote teams on the weekly polls. If you don't cream a team by 50 you don't move. Not to mention some of the players on offense would like to become pro's, and if the players don't get some good numbers up then they won't be drafted.

Easy, tough guy! Too many PBRs? Fact of the matter is PSU had the momentum for the majority of the second half. True Iowa football leans an awful lot on the D, but for God's sake with the plays we were calling Stanzi may as well just taken a knee. We were a couple plays from putting the game out of reach in the 2nd quarter but KOK came out and decided to go against everything that was successful in the first couple of drives.

I don't think we need to put up 70, but 35-45 would've been nice tonight. It's Big Ten play- put the game away.

I think Kirk and Ken played it like they wanted to in that any wrinkle they need to use against Wisconsin, Michigan State or OSU is still in their back pocket. As soon as Iowa stopped Boldin on the 1/2 yardline I knew PSU wasn't going to score again. I know people are whining, but this is Iowa football.

Easy, tough guy! Too many PBRs? Fact of the matter is PSU had the momentum for the majority of the second half. True Iowa football leans an awful lot on the D, but for God's sake with the plays we were calling Stanzi may as well just taken a knee. We were a couple plays from putting the game out of reach in the 2nd quarter but KOK came out and decided to go against everything that was successful in the first couple of drives.

echo...

We have some pretty unrealistic fans...win 24-3 against a top 25 team and there is still room to complain? AMAZING

I don't think we need to put up 70, but 35-45 would've been nice tonight. It's Big Ten play- put the game away.

I'm not even advocating putting up any more points...but how about at least trying to flip field position so they weren't starting on the 35-40 every time? Any points that we added was bonus...I said at halftime that if we got to 24 we'd win, and we might not even need to get there. As usual, the defense outperformed expectations and absolutely dominated in the 2nd half.

I think Kirk and Ken played it like they wanted to in that any wrinkle they need to use against Wisconsin, Michigan State or OSU is still in their back pocket. As soon as Iowa stopped Boldin on the 1/2 yardline I knew PSU wasn't going to score again. I know people are whining, but this is Iowa football.

This is the way it's always been, open the playbook later in the season, including the bowl game.

Latest posts