Keagan Johnson

longtimer

I see he is not on the depth chart for Ohio State. I don't have any Intel on him but one gets the feeling he may not play for Iowa again? Anyone know how soon Black might be back? or if Vines will play this year at some point

I see he is not on the depth chart for Ohio State. I don't have any Intel on him but one gets the feeling he may not play for Iowa again? Anyone know how soon Black might be back? or if Vines will play this year at some point

At his presser, KF said Vines and Black have a shot of playing this week. Said they will inform the media when Keagan Johnson's status changes (implied: so quit asking!).

Keagan has had a lingering hamstring issue. They don't heal overnight. Smith-Njigba from Ohio State has a similar issue and hasn't played all year.

I don't have any Intel on him but one gets the feeling he may not play for Iowa again?
1) You obviously don’t listen to or watch the mid-week pressers. 99% of the people here do so if you want to know info you may want to check those out because you’ll get your answers that way.

2) People were saying, “Johnson is done at Iowa” weeks ago and found out it was bullshit when in fact came back and played. He’s not leaving Iowa, he’s injured. And KF has never talked about injuries or any other individual issues since he’s been here because it’s none of our business what’s going on with a player.

Shouldn't they just medical redshirt him to give him another full season.

Man, they would have to get the most hardened doctor who has seen a lot of shit in the cancer ward at U of I hospital to break that news for him. "Xir, I have some good news and I have some bad news. The bad news is I think we are going to have to shut you down for the year and get you a medical redshirt. The good news is that with the medical redshirt you will have a weekly front row seat to watch Brian Ferentz's explosive offense for five years instead of four."

1) You obviously don’t listen to or watch the mid-week pressers. 99% of the people here do so if you want to know info you may want to check those out because you’ll get your answers that way.

No way 99% of the people here watch mid week pressers. I'll watch clips if they are posted here, but I don't need to listen to Ferentz's excuses and citations of irrelevant data points.

Shouldn't they just medical redshirt him to give him another full season.
He can play up to four games and it won't count as a year of eligibility. It may be trending that way. IIRC, he has played in one game so far this year. He did not take a redshirt year his freshman year.

For what it is worth, a buddy who is on the other board said there is scuttle that Johnson's family members are tight with Mickey Joseph and if he is retained in one form or fashion by the Bugeaters, Keegan could cross the river home. I have no earthly clue if there is any merit to that rumor. I am just spreading the gossip I heard today at lunch.

I don't see how they retain any of the scholarship WRs unless Kirk says I'm naming a new OC and want him to install his own scheme. At least not Johnson and Bruce.

I don't see how they retain any of the scholarship WRs unless Kirk says I'm naming a new OC and want him to install his own scheme. At least not Johnson and Bruce.
If the season continues to progress as is on the O side I think some coaches might be even more likely to depart than some players.

There's some good coaches on this staff in my opinion. I do agree that Woods is one of them which plays into one of the pluses of his stock as a candidate in the Kirk retirement discussion.........being more likely to retain a good share of this staff. Would be beyond expression if things continue as is with the O, BF is retained as OC, and some notable staff depart.

If the season continues to progress as is on the O side I think some coaches might be even more likely to depart than some players.

There's some good coaches on this staff in my opinion. I do agree that Woods is one of them which plays into one of the pluses of his stock as a candidate in the Kirk retirement discussion.........being more likely to retain a good share of this staff. Would be beyond expression if things continue as is with the O, BF is retained as OC, and some notable staff depart.
Good point - I've wondered about the dynamics within the staff. My opinion, a lot of which is just a guess, is that Brian comes off a tad entitled. Based on reading the Husch Blackwell report, you get the sense maybe Doyle and Brian walked around being enormous pricks, with Wallace maybe tagging along some, too. You also get the sense from the report that some assistants - as well as the broader football staff - perhaps resented that entitlement. Porter's comments earlier this year don't exactly counter that opinion either.

2) People were saying, “Johnson is done at Iowa” weeks ago and found out it was bullshit when in fact came back and played. He’s not leaving Iowa, he’s injured. And KF has never talked about injuries or any other individual issues since he’s been here because it’s none of our business what’s going on with a player.
It's called HIPAA. Violate that and I'd almost rather deal with Homeland Security.

there's actual talks that a former team mate from Omaha might be joining him next season. I don't think that he's going anywhere if you believe what you hear on this side of the river.

For what it is worth, a buddy who is on the other board said there is scuttle that Johnson's family members are tight with Mickey Joseph and if he is retained in one form or fashion by the Bugeaters, Keegan could cross the river home. I have no earthly clue if there is any merit to that rumor. I am just spreading the gossip I heard today at lunch.
Heard the opposite. I heard Damon Bennings kid and he are tight, he's an undersized safety that has an Iowa offer and all signs point to him not wanting to be a part of the mess in Lincoln.

Good point - I've wondered about the dynamics within the staff. My opinion, a lot of which is just a guess, is that Brian comes off a tad entitled. Based on reading the Husch Blackwell report, you get the sense maybe Doyle and Brian walked around being enormous pricks, with Wallace maybe tagging along some, too. You also get the sense from the report that some assistants - as well as the broader football staff - perhaps resented that entitlement. Porter's comments earlier this year don't exactly counter that opinion either.
Interesting thoughts. It seems very probable that Doyle and BF walked around being enormous pricks. This can happen when entitled, powerful people can act with impunity.

Also, when people think their job is a lifetime appointment... I guess the Doyalizer fucked around and found out.

Heard the opposite. I heard Damon Bennings kid and he are tight, he's an undersized safety that has an Iowa offer and all signs point to him not wanting to be a part of the mess in Lincoln.
That would be great. Again, I have no knowledge beyond what one dude said he read on a board and then told me about. Not exactly investigative journalism.

For those who think that every schollie WR is just going to bolt and that we will have nothing but walk-ons and Briar Cliff transfers in the WR room, easy on that roll fellas. Yes, the offense is not good and we do not use WRs as much as we should. But, we are still a Top 25 program over the last decade, we play in the Big 10, and just because you transfer does not mean that you automatically become Charlie Jones. Most transfers either downgrade schools or wash out. Starting at Iowa as a WR is still better than riding the bench at Kstate. Keegan Johnson has a starting job at Iowa as soon as his hammy clears up.

Latest posts