Just cut the cable

It's not really that special, one stream at 1080/60 uses about a constant 6.1 - 6.3 mbps when I checked, call it 10 per stream for decent buffering...that's 40 mbps which will have room to spare.

4K video is another matter.

It's the number of devices.... I used to envision the Real HF. Now this
dr-strangelove-or--how-i-learned-to-stop-worrying-and-love-the-bomb-170-1200-1200-675-675-crop-000000.jpg

My TV is on my south wall of my living room. I'm wondering how I place my antenna for my local stations. I can't really run it to my north wall as It would look pretty gawdy on my window in the dining room. What do I do about my antenna to get the local stations. I have a Mohu flat antenna. Not sure wifey is going to want me to run cable and the antenna to the N wall of our dining room.

Who has experience placing antenna's? Thanks.

My TV is on my south wall of my living room. I'm wondering how I place my antenna for my local stations. I can't really run it to my north wall as It would look pretty gawdy on my window in the dining room. What do I do about my antenna to get the local stations. I have a Mohu flat antenna. Not sure wifey is going to want me to run cable and the antenna to the N wall of our dining room.

I did the antenna thing for a while in the corner of my living room bay window. It was white and didn't look all that bad, but I found after a couple months that I never watched the local channels anymore and got rid of it. Do you think you'd have to have them, or is wifey the one who wants the channels?

I did the antenna thing for a while in the corner of my living room bay window. It was white and didn't look all that bad, but I found after a couple months that I never watched the local channels anymore and got rid of it. Do you think you'd have to have them, or is wifey the one who wants the channels?

I think she would like the local news. She's not one to want or accept change right away. She always questions and boo hoos things if different. You know what I mean.

I think she would like the local news. She's not one to want or accept change right away. She always questions and boo hoos things if different. You know what I mean.
My gf is the same way. She still refuses to do online bill pay and automatic withdrawal because “someone could steal my information.”

I haven’t manually paid a bill in probably 10 years.

I only use local channels when FOX or ABC are airing the Iowa game, but usually I just stream it from my PC.

I am thinking heavily about cutting the directv, but I am the kind of guy who watches about 2 hours of tv a day and then keeps it on in the background while i do stuff around the house. Its a hard habit to get off of, but I have a mental goal to cut the service after college football season ends and use the money for something else.

If you want background TV and white noise just get an antenna for those times with your local stations on inthe background.

Update on cord cutting.

So I cut the cord about 1 1/2 months ago and so far everything has been really great. I have PS Vue, and I get all the channels I need, and all the sports for sure. Tons of games, and I love the cloud DVR. It actually records all college football games that are on, and I can watch any of them later.

The one thing that bothered me was updated yesterday. The Roku app for PS Vue was junk before. They just did an update, and it is just like the AppleTV app which is pretty sweet. So if you are using Roku for PS Vue, update your Roku, and then I had to delete and then re add the PS Vue app, and then it was all updated.

What are the prices you are paying for some of these services?

Sling just didnt work good for me one time. How much for PS Vue?

Retiring soon and dropping the monopoly high priced DirectTV and others that hold you hostage.

I think Vue was at 35 or 39 at the start but think they are now at $45.00 for the package that would work.

https://www.playstation.com/en-us/network/vue/channels/
Correct. $45 will get you BTN and all of the ESPNs.

A Roku stick (which is all you need) will run you $50 one time purchase; running the PS Vue app on a smart TV is a bit disappointing...it's really sluggish. The stick will also allow you to run the network apps like WatchESPN, FoxSports Go, etc. For example, you would be able to select any college game on any of the ESPN channels. Same for Fox, etc. In other words, you're not stuck with whatever game happens to be on the satellite channel.

Do check to make sure that you have good internet speed before you make the switch. I'd recommend at least 15 mbps download to keep it streaming smoothly.

You can go here - https://www.antennasdirect.com/transmitter-locator.html and find where your broadcast towers are located to optimize your antenna location.

I currently have a flat antenna as well and my experience with those is that it really helps to have them located in the right window. If you can't optimize the window location a signal amp may help. While you may boost some signals for better clarity you may scramble some signals that are already working because of over-amplification.

No two situations are the same because of exterior factors as well such as trees, other buildings nearby etc.

I don't intend to ever go back to cable so I'm going to upgrade to a better antenna and install it in the attic.

Correct. $45 will get you BTN and all of the ESPNs.

A Roku stick (which is all you need) will run you $50 one time purchase; running the PS Vue app on a smart TV is a bit disappointing...it's really sluggish. The stick will also allow you to run the network apps like WatchESPN, FoxSports Go, etc. For example, you would be able to select any college game on any of the ESPN channels. Same for Fox, etc. In other words, you're not stuck with whatever game happens to be on the satellite channel.

Do check to make sure that you have good internet speed before you make the switch. I'd recommend at least 15 mbps download to keep it streaming smoothly.

Yep, my setup is as follows:

Living Room - Main TV running on kid's Playstation 4 with Mohu antenna for local stations
Master Bedroom - Roku
Basement - Roku and Mohu antenna

Looking at about $160 of hardware to buy flat out to run everything. Pretty much a couple months of satellite bills and it pays for itself. In addition, up the internet speed download for $10-15 I suppose.

You can go here - https://www.antennasdirect.com/transmitter-locator.html and find where your broadcast towers are located to optimize your antenna location.

I currently have a flat antenna as well and my experience with those is that it really helps to have them located in the right window. If you can't optimize the window location a signal amp may help. While you may boost some signals for better clarity you may scramble some signals that are already working because of over-amplification.

No two situations are the same because of exterior factors as well such as trees, other buildings nearby etc.

I don't intend to ever go back to cable so I'm going to upgrade to a better antenna and install it in the attic.

This is what I figured I'd end up doing at some point. Funny going back to this after technology for so many years.

Actually when I think about it, it won't be too long until P Vue has NBC, ABC and Fox locals streaming, IMO. May not need the antenna at all.

I have PS Vue and love it, only thing I would improve is the DVR system. I use 4 Amazon Fire TV's, ~$89.99 each. Well worth it, they are extremely fast and responsive.

Wouldn't go back. F&*^ Mediacom!

This is what I figured I'd end up doing at some point. Funny going back to this after technology for so many years.

Actually when I think about it, it won't be too long until P Vue has NBC, ABC and Fox locals streaming, IMO. May not need the antenna at all.

I need to have the networks. The wife is addicted to Jimmy Fallon, and we want local news. She also has a couple network shows she watches. I got a TV Roamio for $50, and now I have a DVR for all the local channels. It does cost $15 a month, but I will be able to drop that when PS Vue gets all the locals (only have CBS right now).

What are the prices you are paying for some of these services?

Sling just didnt work good for me one time. How much for PS Vue?

Retiring soon and dropping the monopoly high priced DirectTV and others that hold you hostage.

So PS Vue cost me $45 a month and has every kind of sports channel you need to get all the Hawk games + nearly anything else as well.

I looked into Hulu and did the 7 day free trail, and didn't care for the layout as much. They had all the channels I needed and was $40 a month. They charge extra to have more than 2 streams (PS Vue lets you have 5 streams going at once) and their DVR was also more $$

DirecTV Now was more expensive at $50 or $60 I think and they don't have a DVR yet.

YouTube Live isn't in the Des Moines market yet, so I haven't tried that.

So to go along with my PS Vue, I also purchased a TiVo Romio. With this and an antenna I get all my local channels and can record network shows. I am really pretty happy with my Tivo.

That said I just ran across the Channel Master DVR. https://www.channelmaster.com/Antenna_DVR_s/336.htm
It will stream live OTA antenna signals, and you can also record 2 shows or watch one and record one. It is only $99 right now, and there are NO subscription fees for a guide or DVR. That is a pretty sweet deal, and a really cheap way to get free OTA TV.

Latest posts