Just cut the cable

We switched over to PS Vue last Fall. While I miss DirecTv quite a bit, we have been fairly pleased, and it's a hell of a lot cheaper! With no contract to boot, which is nice. The only issue is that sometimes the DVR function will not work the best. We can't rewind or fast forward or sometimes start from the beginning of an episode if it's still currently airing. I think a lot of this has to do with our crappy ISP though, CenturyLink.

One gripe is that while our PS3 has a guide, the Roku device does not, so it can be kind of a hassle finding the channel or program you're looking for. First World Problems...

Found this for local and cable/satellite listings......

http://www.tvtv.us/ia/des-moines/lu28364

Works well.....

:cool:

I was paying Mediacom about $250 a month for internet and the Disney channel (only my kids watch TV) except during football/basketball season. Bought 4 amazon fire TV's and switched to PS Vue and haven't looked back. Still paying Mediacom $89.99/mo for 100 meg internet. Only issue I've had is getting a few local channels but I bought some HD antennas for that. Still need to toy with them a bit to get Fox/ABC but not worried at all. Worst case scenario I can stream watchespn on my PC to my home theater

I dropped Mediacom completely and get internet from Century Link. I have 60 megs for $60. I was concerned that it would not be fast enough, but no problems so far. Two computers, two XBoxes, and 4 TVs on Playstation Vue and everything works well.....

Hulu just "updated" their home screen. It's AWFUL. My wife actually wants me to cancel our subscription and just use PSVue and the various network apps.

I dropped Mediacom completely and get internet from Century Link. I have 60 megs for $60. I was concerned that it would not be fast enough, but no problems so far. Two computers, two XBoxes, and 4 TVs on Playstation Vue and everything works well.....

Ah, we typically stream 3 devices at once and I do a lot of gaming while listening to youtube, have thought about century link but didn't want to downgrade my speed

Ah, we typically stream 3 devices at once and I do a lot of gaming while listening to youtube, have thought about century link but didn't want to downgrade my speed

So with Mediacom, what do you pay for, and what do you actually get? Check http://beta.speedtest.net/ and see what your results are. I'm just curious. I have friends that have great luck with Mediacom, and some that pay for 100Mb service and get about 25..

With my CenturyLink DSL, I have 40/5 service, and usually get about 30-35 down, and always 5 up.

So with Mediacom, what do you pay for, and what do you actually get? Check http://beta.speedtest.net/ and see what your results are. I'm just curious. I have friends that have great luck with Mediacom, and some that pay for 100Mb service and get about 25..

With my CenturyLink DSL, I have 40/5 service, and usually get about 30-35 down, and always 5 up.

Same here. I have a fiber optic line, so that mean the speeds they sell you, that you actually get them. I pay for 40/5, and I got 39.98 and 4.93 on the test. Centurylink sent me a notice that my 2 year rate lock for $45 a month was up. I recently went into the Centurylink store and they said the best they could do was $29.99 a month for a year for the same service. I said, uh, yeah that will work.

I was watching the ad for FuboTV on the Big Ten Network and I had a weird tingling sensation at the end.

I pay for 100, for months though I was only getting about 55 but for the last 6 or so it's been about 130. Seems like the speed went up AFTER I cancelled TV service. Get about 35 upload but that isn't really relevant here...

Mediacom here. It's probably a terrible time to do this because there's a ton of bandwidth capacity right now, but I just got 70 down/6 up and I pay for 50/5. I'd love to get ImOn Communications out where I live (north Marion) but they don't come out this far yet. I think they've built out all of Marion with FTTH...they have a 1 GB (is that what it's called?) internet product. Some people post their speeds on Facebook...they're getting 961 down and 491 up or something crazy like that. And as of now, I don't think ImOn puts a cap on usage, nor do they charge anything additional for "power user"-type data usage.

Mediacom has terabyte service here too but I think that's overkill, even for me
I have the terabyte service, but I also have a wife and 3 kids and there's streaming going on like crazy. We typically avg about 650 gigs of data used per month by having the vue plus all the phones, tablets, etc.

I have the terabyte service, but I also have a wife and 3 kids and there's streaming going on like crazy. We typically avg about 650 gigs of data used per month by having the vue plus all the phones, tablets, etc.
Ah lol, I routinely go over 900 gigs so I get pretty close to the 1k cap :)

Haven't had cable in 10 years. Only thing I watch on T.V. is Iowa football and basketball. That's a 20 minute drive to my folks house, and even when we watch a game "live" it gets DVR'D for 30-40 minutes so we can skip commercials. Will end up catching up before the game ends so it can't be ruined by social media. Works out pretty good.

I did the same until my parents cut the cord, now I purchase PlayStation Vue during football season and have them over.

Update on cord cutting.

So I cut the cord about 1 1/2 months ago and so far everything has been really great. I have PS Vue, and I get all the channels I need, and all the sports for sure. Tons of games, and I love the cloud DVR. It actually records all college football games that are on, and I can watch any of them later.

The one thing that bothered me was updated yesterday. The Roku app for PS Vue was junk before. They just did an update, and it is just like the AppleTV app which is pretty sweet. So if you are using Roku for PS Vue, update your Roku, and then I had to delete and then re add the PS Vue app, and then it was all updated.

Has anyone tried the new Hulu TV yet? I've got Sling and PS Vue but am looking for something with more local options and I think Hulu is supposed to have these. Ideas?

Yes, I currently have Hulu TV and I switched from Sling TV. Sling did not provide as many channels, and they lack some basic channels like CBS and ABC, which blew me away. Also, Sling's app on Roku was just terrible. I really enjoy using Hulu and I would recommend it to others.

In terms of sports channels you get ESPN, ESPN2, ESPN3, ESPNU, FS1, FS2, Big Ten Network, CBS,CBS Sports, NBC, ABC, FOX. That's a good collection right there. If you're living in Iowa you will get every Iowa game guaranteed.

Yes, I currently have Hulu TV and I switched from Sling TV. Sling did not provide as many channels, and they lack some basic channels like CBS and ABC, which blew me away. Also, Sling's app on Roku was just terrible. I really enjoy using Hulu and I would recommend it to others.

In terms of sports channels you get ESPN, ESPN2, ESPN3, ESPNU, FS1, FS2, Big Ten Network, CBS,CBS Sports, NBC, ABC, FOX. That's a good collection right there. If you're living in Iowa you will get every Iowa game guaranteed.
Cool thanks! The Sling app on Roku has worn my ass out.

I am thinking heavily about cutting the directv, but I am the kind of guy who watches about 2 hours of tv a day and then keeps it on in the background while i do stuff around the house. Its a hard habit to get off of, but I have a mental goal to cut the service after college football season ends and use the money for something else.

Update on cord cutting.

So I cut the cord about 1 1/2 months ago and so far everything has been really great. I have PS Vue, and I get all the channels I need, and all the sports for sure. Tons of games, and I love the cloud DVR. It actually records all college football games that are on, and I can watch any of them later.

The one thing that bothered me was updated yesterday. The Roku app for PS Vue was junk before. They just did an update, and it is just like the AppleTV app which is pretty sweet. So if you are using Roku for PS Vue, update your Roku, and then I had to delete and then re add the PS Vue app, and then it was all updated.
I did the same as you only I did it last year because I couldn't even get ESPNU through my cable provider.

100% agree that streaming services are the way to go. I have 50d/25u internet and PSVue will run 1080 at 60fps on at least four devices (that's all I have to try out at once).

I did the same as you only I did it last year because I couldn't even get ESPNU through my cable provider.

100% agree that streaming services are the way to go. I have 50d/25u internet and PSVue will run 1080 at 60fps on at least four devices (that's all I have to try out at once).

I'm speechless.... wow.

I'm speechless.... wow.
It's not really that special, one stream at 1080/60 uses about a constant 6.1 - 6.3 mbps when I checked, call it 10 per stream for decent buffering...that's 40 mbps which will have room to spare.

4K video is another matter.

Latest posts