Just cut the cable

I think you all may want to wait and see have the new net neutrality laws will screw you over in receiving online streaming services......you may all go back to cable.........

I think you all may want to wait and see have the new net neutrality laws will screw you over in receiving online streaming services......you may all go back to cable.........
Ugh I'm so pissed at that garbage... capitalism at it's finest - but with government protected monopolies...

Easy to do with streaming service, as you don’t have a punitive charge to cancel like you do with Dish or DirecTv.

Easy to do with streaming service, as you don’t have a punitive charge to cancel like you do with Dish or DirecTv.
Sure it's easy but it still costs 3x as much and has a bunch of garbage channels that I'll never use =/

I thought there used to be a Netflix thread but perhaps it went away when the Off-Topic forum was removed.

I watch more Netflix than I care to admit and just finished up 7 seasons of Nurse Jackie which was pretty entertaining.

Anybody care to throw out any recommendations for a new TV series?

I thought there used to be a Netflix thread but perhaps it went away when the Off-Topic forum was removed.

I watch more Netflix than I care to admit and just finished up 7 seasons of Nurse Jackie which was pretty entertaining.

Most recent netflix shows I really enjoyed were Ozark and American Vandal. The latter you really have to be into toilet humor though.

You really need to go read the entire document because you clearly have no idea what you're talking about.

You really need to go read the entire document because you clearly have no idea what you're talking about.
Mediacom internet can charge PS Vue to put them in the "fast lane" as it directly competes with their cable TV service - passing on that extra cost to consumers. The also can slow them and give priority to their own content as long as they inform their customers what they are doing. Hell they could even block them completely. Seems a little anti-competitive to me... How is this difficult to understand?

I've been a huge fan of all the super hero series - Arrow, Flash, Defenders, Jessica Jones etc.. Although the plots can get pretty bad and the characters make terrible decisions regularly it can be somewhat entertaining. Stranger Things has been pretty popular and I thoroughly enjoyed those.

The Net neutrality decision will be torn to shreds in court.....

It simply cannot stand.....

At any rate, if one goes with DirecTV now, which is owned by AT&T, I am fairly certain that you will not be affected.....

Netflix has some wonderful series. I personally like historical dramas and Frontier with Iowa's own, Jason Mamoa, is very good......

https://www.netflix.com/search?q=frontier&jbv=80099656&jbp=0&jbr=0

Godless is a very good 4 episode Western. Rather unusual western but definitely worth the time to watch.....

https://www.netflix.com/search?q=godless&jbv=80097141&jbp=0&jbr=0

Longmire is also very good. I have read a few of the books. I love the policewoman, who moved from Philadelphia to Wyoming. Vic is a breath of fresh air.....

https://www.netflix.com/search?q=longmir&jbv=70269479&jbp=0&jbr=0

For those who missed The Killing on AMC, it is on Netflix. Very good show.....

https://www.netflix.com/search?q=the killing&jbv=70180183&jbp=0&jbr=0

:cool:

You may have already watched some of these, or currently are, but I would highly recommend:

Shameless- there's never been a more fitting name for a show. It's raunchy, so if you're easily offended, maybe steer clear. People kept telling me to watch this show for years and I kept putting it off. Really glad that I finally started watching it.

Breaking Bad- Great drama series, IMO. That leads into the prequel that may be even better:

Better Call Saul

Bates Motel
- a great prequel thriller of "Psycho". I think Freddie Highmore is a great actor. Fits the role perfectly, IMO.

Wormwood- Just started this one, so only about 3 episodes in, but pretty impressed so far. It's a docudrama about the CIA's drug experiment programs starting back in the '50's during the Cold War.

The Ranch- decent comedy that's grown on me quite a bit.

Stranger Things- definitely second Ree4's suggestion there. Almost forgot!

You may have already watched some of these, or currently are, but I would highly recommend:

Shameless- there's never been a more fitting name for a show. It's raunchy, so if you're easily offended, maybe steer clear. People kept telling me to watch this show for years and I kept putting it off. Really glad that I finally started watching it.

Breaking Bad- Great drama series, IMO. That leads into the prequel that may be even better:

Better Call Saul

Bates Motel
- a great prequel thriller of "Psycho".

Wormwood- Just started this one, so only about 3 episodes in, but pretty impressed so far. It's a docudrama about the CIA's drug experiment programs starting back in the '50's during the Cold War.

The Ranch- decent comedy that's grown on me quite a bit.

Appreciate the insight. Shameless & Breaking Bad are terrific. Even having loved Breaking Bad, I never did watch Better Call Saul so that might be one for me to check out. Wormwood sounds interesting as well.

Mediacom internet can charge PS Vue to put them in the "fast lane" as it directly competes with their cable TV service - passing on that extra cost to consumers. The also can slow them and give priority to their own content as long as they inform their customers what they are doing. Hell they could even block them completely. Seems a little anti-competitive to me... How is this difficult to understand?

Wrong wrong wrong wrong, wrong wrong wrong wrong. You're wrong, you're wrong, you're wrong

I'll say it again. READ THE DAMN THING

Last edited:
Wrong wrong wrong wrong, wrong wrong wrong wrong. You're wrong, you're wrong, you're wrong

I'll say it again. READ THE DAMN THING
Yawn, not going to debate this in the format of a 10 year old. You don't agree? Explain why. You countered the claims of cohawkeye, thus the burden of proof is on you.

Here's a link so you can copy and paste: Restoring InternetFreedom

Yawn, not going to debate this in the format of a 10 year old. You don't agree? Explain why. You countered the claims of cohawkeye, thus the burden of proof is on you.

Here's a link so you can copy and paste: Restoring InternetFreedom

Excepts that you're so blatantly wrong.

Regulatory oversight of the ISP now includes the FTC (Federal Trade Commission) as it was in the 1990's. Unlike the FCC

FCC is enforcing against throttling, censorship, restriction, etc. by invoking consumer protection and anti-trust laws (via FTC).

Should the hypothetical harms that proponents of Title II imagine eventually come to pass, application of the antitrust laws would address those harms.

176.We also reject AT&T’s assertion that the Commission should conditionally forbear from all Title II regulations as a preventive measure to address the contingency that a future Commission might seek to reinstate the Title II Order. 647Although AT&T explains that “conditional forbearance would provide an extra level of insurance against the contingency that a future, politically motivated Commission might try to reinstate a ‘common carrier’ classification [2015 Net Neutrality Regulations],”648 we see no need to address the complicated question of prophylactic forbearance and find such extraordinary measures [are] unnecessary.

In the unlikely event that ISPs engage in conduct that harms Internet openness, despite the paucity of evidence of such incidents, we find that utility-style regulation is unnecessary to address such conduct. Other legal regimes—particularly antitrust law and the FTC’s authority under Section 5 of the FTC Act to prohibit unfair and deceptive practices—provide protection for consumers.

The FCC admits that this has the potential to become a problem. They claim it is highly unlikely because the FTC can come in and penetrate ISPs who act as monopolies. Plus, content providers (Google, Amazon, etc.) have an obscenely higher market capitalization than ISP's (Google alone has higher market cap than all ISP's combined), and that they can easily pressure ISPs to obey.

For example:

• Comcast tries to throttle Netflix.

• Netflix says F you we won't serve any of your Comcast kind here.

• Comcast customers can't watch Stranger Things.

• Comcast customers screech autistically.

• Everyone (who can) leaves Comcast.

• If nobody can leave Comcast, the FTC can declare Comcast a monopoly and bust their nuts. This nut busting can legally bind Comcast to their past promises of Open Internet, since there are no competitors keeping them incheck.
Thus the FCC concludes it is unlikely that ISPs will paywall their content providers because content-providers will easily prevent them from doing it. FCC asserts that monopolies like Comcast will be combated with FTC anti-monopoly regulation, increased competition, and more ISP choices for customers that will drive price down and quality up. FCC will address individual ISP violations case by case if/when they arise.

In the unlikely event that ISPs engage in conduct that harms Internet openness

Funniest thing I've read all day.

Great, so rather than take preventative measures to stop ISP's from abusing their customers (as they have in the past and no doubt will do so again) we have to rely on the FTC to fully understand every ISP and the possible ways they can deceive their customers (most of which will be nearly impossible to detect), let the FTC investigate and determine that there is abuse.

I'm sorry if I don't have as much faith as you do in the FTC and their ability to regulate ISPs based on their long track record of being reactionary. I do find it funny that you're placing all your eggs into the basket of ISP's not taking advantage of their customers and government entities being competent.

Everyone (who can) leaves Comcast.

Nice, I'll just switch to the new Mom and Pop broadband company that results from the increased competition.

I understand you have your interpretation of what will happen (which is what you posted) as I have mine. Obviously they are different. I'm not wasting anymore time trying to change your mind and you shouldn't waste yours. This isn't the place for it.

Last edited: