Just cut the cable

I currently just have a roku and use my parent's cable login for espn, etc. Which I also think is funny, the cable companies have to know that people are giving their logins out to children and friends and coworkers, and accounts are getting logged into from multiple states in the same day... but I assume the reason they don't do anything is because they have no leverage. If mediacom called my parents up and said - you need to stop sharing your account - my parents would say ok, piss off mediacom, we'll just go elsewhere. It's just funny...

Tossed DirecTV for PS Vue this summer and haven't looked back. Kids and wife are happy. I'm happy.

I've been on PS Vue for a full year now and couldn't be happier. I spent $500 bucks out of the chute on amazon fires for 4 tvs and OTA antennas. I made that back in about 4 months. Since then, I've saved about $800 and even with the $10 increase on the Vue, I'm still looking at saving about $1,200/year on cable and I'm still getting all the channels I could want.

Now I'm just looking forward to ABC, NBC, and Fox here in DSM to get on the Vue. It'll be nice to not have to toggle back and forth between the Vue and OTA....

I've been on PS Vue for a full year now and couldn't be happier. I spent $500 bucks out of the chute on amazon fires for 4 tvs and OTA antennas. I made that back in about 4 months. Since then, I've saved about $800 and even with the $10 increase on the Vue, I'm still looking at saving about $1,200/year on cable and I'm still getting all the channels I could want.

Now I'm just looking forward to ABC, NBC, and Fox here in DSM to get on the Vue. It'll be nice to not have to toggle back and forth between the Vue and OTA....

That's the only thing I'm holding out for. My DTV contract is up, I'm just holding out for a service to have ABC, CBS, Fox, NBC, to hit Des Moines. Youtube TV has them all but isn't available in Des Moines yet, and if Vue gets them they have my business the next day.

I basically just want everything in the same DVR function.

Now onto the streaming experiment. I have tested out the PSvue and I really like it so far. It has a DVR function, it has the BTN, ESPN, ESPN2, ESPNU, ESPNnews, FS1, FS2, Fox midwest, SEC, and even Chicago sports net for Cubs games. It also has Bravo for the Mrs. So it checks all the boxes for cable channels that we need. It also has many more: https://www.playstation.com/en-us/n...plans:pdc:network:vue:home&emcid=pa-vu-111688

The only problem is local channels. Right now in the Des Moines market the PSvue only has CBS that you can stream live. The others are "on Demand" only, meaning no live sports, news, late night talk shows. Well that wasn't going to work for us. So I got a TIVO. Cost $50 to by one, hooked up an antenna, and now we have our local channels and a hard drive to record locals as well. We don't watch many network shows, but what we do watch we DVR, so now we have the covered with TIVO. The only thing that sucks is TIVO is $14.99 a month! This stinks, but until PSvue gets the other local channels we want those stations to that is what it costs.

So all in I am at $60 ($45 for PSvue and $15 for TIVO) a month vs $93. Hopefully that will come down another $15 a month once PSvue picks up the rest of the Des Moines local channels.

What about Netflix, Hulu, or any other services? Do you have any of those factored into your monthly cost? Just curious, as I'm looking at doing this myself. Also looking at building my own DVR for those pesky local channels. We'll see how that part goes...

The reason I picked PSVue is because you can use your Vue credentials to log in to other apps. For instance, I can log in to the Fox app with my PSVue credentials and watch live sports. You can do the same with the ESPN app which will get you the ABC game not to mention ESPN3 for some of the early season basketball games.

I did see an article a few months back that ABC and NBC were close to cutting a deal with PSVue to stream in more cities and Des Moines was included.

@Calculator Do you have a link to that article? Curious if Iowa City / Cedar Rapids were included as well.

What about Netflix, Hulu, or any other services? Do you have any of those factored into your monthly cost? Just curious, as I'm looking at doing this myself. Also looking at building my own DVR for those pesky local channels. We'll see how that part goes...

I have Netflicks and Amazon Prime. I had those when I had DishNetwork so either way I have those. I don't really need Hulu as I don't go back and watch TV series. Plus if I do, Netflicks and Prime have lots of them anyway. Like my son can watch Daniel Tiger on Prime and I am going to go back and watch Better Call Saul (maybe someday anyway) and that is on Netflicks I think.

Speaking of this, I found out that TIVO has a cool feature. So when you set up a DVR for a show, it will ask if you want all the old seasons as well. You log into your Netflicks/Prime/Humu and if the show is available they pull up all the old episodes as well on those streaming services.

I have Netflicks and Amazon Prime. I had those when I had DishNetwork so either way I have those. I don't really need Hulu as I don't go back and watch TV series. Plus if I do, Netflicks and Prime have lots of them anyway. Like my son can watch Daniel Tiger on Prime and I am going to go back and watch Better Call Saul (maybe someday anyway) and that is on Netflicks I think.

Speaking of this, I found out that TIVO has a cool feature. So when you set up a DVR for a show, it will ask if you want all the old seasons as well. You log into your Netflicks/Prime/Humu and if the show is available they pull up all the old episodes as well on those streaming services.

Wow really? That's pretty cool. Might make the extra $15/month worth it to not have to hassle with it.

Wow really? That's pretty cool. Might make the extra $15/month worth it to not have to hassle with it.

It would be double bonus if you had Hulu live service. Then you get the streaming live TV from Hulu and you get their Hulu basic service which gets you access to everything. You could have TIVO for locals and what TIVO calls "One Pass" (pulls all the shows from the online services).

I just really hated the Hulu interface. I mean I had trouble with it and my wife insists on a guide of some sort (which Hulu doesn't have). Hulu streaming was a really frustrating interface if you ask me.

We switched over to PS Vue last Fall. While I miss DirecTv quite a bit, we have been fairly pleased, and it's a hell of a lot cheaper! With no contract to boot, which is nice. The only issue is that sometimes the DVR function will not work the best. We can't rewind or fast forward or sometimes start from the beginning of an episode if it's still currently airing. I think a lot of this has to do with our crappy ISP though, CenturyLink.

One gripe is that while our PS3 has a guide, the Roku device does not, so it can be kind of a hassle finding the channel or program you're looking for. First World Problems...

I was paying Mediacom about $250 a month for internet and the Disney channel (only my kids watch TV) except during football/basketball season. Bought 4 amazon fire TV's and switched to PS Vue and haven't looked back. Still paying Mediacom $89.99/mo for 100 meg internet. Only issue I've had is getting a few local channels but I bought some HD antennas for that. Still need to toy with them a bit to get Fox/ABC but not worried at all. Worst case scenario I can stream watchespn on my PC to my home theater

I was hoping to do the trial period prior to this football season but that didn't happen. In addition, wanted to pay down the contract a few months more anyway. But, I really need to to the transition at some point.

What is the minimum a guy would want for internet speed which I plan on upgrading? I also have a service that does not cap my usage which is nice. I just want to make sure I have ample speed and an up-to-date router which is also important.

I was hoping to do the trial period prior to this football season but that didn't happen. In addition, wanted to pay down the contract a few months more anyway. But, I really need to to the transition at some point.

What is the minimum a guy would want for internet speed which I plan on upgrading? I also have a service that does not cap my usage which is nice. I just want to make sure I have ample speed and an up-to-date router which is also important.

I have 40 meg and it works great.

I currently just have a roku and use my parent's cable login for espn, etc. Which I also think is funny, the cable companies have to know that people are giving their logins out to children and friends and coworkers, and accounts are getting logged into from multiple states in the same day... but I assume the reason they don't do anything is because they have no leverage. If mediacom called my parents up and said - you need to stop sharing your account - my parents would say ok, piss off mediacom, we'll just go elsewhere. It's just funny...

HBOgo and Netflix basically said that they don't care if you share your login as long as you don't abuse it. They are perfectly fine with you sharing your info with another household or two. After all, the more exposure they get the better the word of mouth is and the more subscribers they ultimately get.

Probably depends on if you have kids. I have 3 kids plus my wife and I and there is data being used left and right....whether its phones, tablets, other tvs streaming, etc. We have 100mbps, which is sufficient....but I wouldn't want to be any lower than that. I pay mediacom $75/mo for that....