Jon's "Minutes Problem" Podcast

If Fran ever had a situation where he could trap and press the entire game this is it. Mostly offensive talk but this presents unlimited defensive options. Fifteen minutes a game for any player is a lot if you are running full court presses on defense the entire game. They will wear other teams into the ground and Iowa should pull away at the end of the game.

Use defensive effort as the carrot for minutes. You don't play defense, you don't hustle your a** off, you don't play. I'd also try and press the heck out of teams that don't have the guards to handle it.

Kriener 6'9 / 247
Cook 6'9 / 253
Pemsl 6'8 / 249

Kriener was behind Pemsl and Cook last year, my guess is his defense was part of the problem there as we know he is skilled offensively. For some reason we have crowned him as a true center, but I'm not convinced that's the case. Nunge I think would get pushed around down low by true 5s.

I agree with what your saying that they won't have to play together as much as last year, which is a good thing and I think that's primarily because of Garza over anything.

That being said you want your best players on the floor, and I think Cook and Pemsl are our two best bigs.

Our two best bigs for what offense, though? I think Fran is on record saying he'd love to have 5 guys on the floor that can all shoot it. Obviously Cook and Pemsl bring a nice skill set down low, but neither of them are going to step out and hit 15-18 footers....let alone 3's. But Garza, Kriener, and Nunge can all play down low and they can all shoot it from the outside as well. I like the versatility those 3 guys can give us, while also having some "bad attitude" guys like Cook and Pemsl. :)

I probably need to listen to the podcast first before commenting, but I am going to anyway. I still think it will play itself out. Matchups, especially early on, will dictate where the minutes are divided. There will be guys that play 20 minutes one game and barely get 5 the next. I realize not everyone shares my opinion, but being 11 deep is a good problem for Iowa to have.

Our two best bigs for what offense, though? I think Fran is on record saying he'd love to have 5 guys on the floor that can all shoot it. Obviously Cook and Pemsl bring a nice skill set down low, but neither of them are going to step out and hit 15-18 footers....let alone 3's. But Garza, Kriener, and Nunge can all play down low and they can all shoot it from the outside as well. I like the versatility those 3 guys can give us, while also having some "bad attitude" guys like Cook and Pemsl. :)
I think Cook will step out to 15 feet this year. Also when you say "best at what offense?" I assume that's a knock on there defense. That's exactly why I tried pointing out that Kriener was likely behind defensively last year as well. How do we know that Nunge and Garza will hold up defensively without ever seeing them play a minute?

Outside shooting is a luxury for a big man for certain, but it's not the most important thing. Again we do not know that Garza or Nunge will be able to shoot 3s this year. Kriener only made 1/5 last year.

For those of you on here who read my posts, this will come as no surprise.

Dailey needs to sit for the year. He needs to hit the weight room and watch from the bench. I believe it would do him a world of good.

My other item is if he's not 100% Pemsl needs to consider a red-shirt. If he comes back too soon and re-aggrivates the groin, he could lose another year. IMHO he's better off sitting if he's not ready to go from the start.

Both of those would clear up some time, at least for this coming season. It still leaves 2018-19 as a potential problem, but that's an issue for next year.

Just my 2¢ .. .. GO HAWKS!!!

I may be wrong, but I don't see Wagner or Uhl getting anything more than garbage minutes this season.
1. Uhl just hasn't improved much that I can tell.
2. I love Wagner's hustle and toughness, but with such a deep front court I don't see a pressing need this season for a guy whose entire offense is limited to put-back buckets when we have 5-6 guys that do so much more for the team when they're on the court.

It's funny everyone talks about Cook and Pemsl starting together like it was some sort of train wreck. They both started in our home wins against Purdue and Michigan. Ultimately Fran wanted to add some more defense into the mix so he inserted Wagner.

Here's the thing though, with Baer replacing Jok in the lineup that's a huge plus for defense....

Agreed.

I would certainly not call either Cook or Pemsl defensive stalwarts. They weren't, but our biggest defensive liability last season was not interior defense per se. Yes, far to many plays got finished at the rim, but very often that was because our guards couldn't stop a drive with spike strips and a police blockade. Straight up our frontline guys showed they could defend though there was inconsistency, no doubt. What we didn't have was a cleanup guy who was skilled and savy enough to be able to cover up for others.

I may be wrong, but I don't see Wagner or Uhl getting anything more than garbage minutes this season.
1. Uhl just hasn't improved much that I can tell.
2. I love Wagner's hustle and toughness, but with such a deep front court I don't see a pressing need this season for a guy whose entire offense is limited to put-back buckets when we have 5-6 guys that do so much more for the team when they're on the court.

Both will play every game if they are healthy. Wagner was a starter last year and Uhl is a senior who has played his whole career. They are not all of a sudden going to get benched.

If Fran ever had a situation where he could trap and press the entire game this is it. Mostly offensive talk but this presents unlimited defensive options. Fifteen minutes a game for any player is a lot if you are running full court presses on defense the entire game. They will wear other teams into the ground and Iowa should pull away at the end of the game.

I really like this thought process. Glad you brought it up. We've got bigs that can outrun most other bigs, we've still got good length (Baer, Uhl, CW, IM) that can be at the front of the press. With Garza, we'll have a second rim protector. Very interesting.

Both will play every game if they are healthy. Wagner was a starter last year and Uhl is a senior who has played his whole career. They are not all of a sudden going to get benched.

Uhl needs to protect his minutes against Nunge taking them. The future is now for Uhl, so if he doesn't produce, you go with the young guy who has 3 more seasons beyond this one. Wagner needs to show a lot more value this season. He needs to show he can score more consistently. If he can, we will be a different team cuz I think he's tough for other teams to guard. He needs to show a consistent 10ft jumper. If he doesn't this season, see Uhl above.

Uhl needs to protect his minutes against Nunge taking them. The future is now for Uhl, so if he doesn't produce, you go with the young guy who has 3 more seasons beyond this one. Wagner needs to show a lot more value this season. He needs to show he can score more consistently. If he can, we will be a different team cuz I think he's tough for other teams to guard. He needs to show a consistent 10ft jumper. If he doesn't this season, see Uhl above.

Fran is loyal to his guys which can be a bad thing at times in my opinion. Fran isn't going to bench Uhl this year, it just won't happen.

Fran is loyal to his guys which can be a bad thing at times in my opinion. Fran isn't going to bench Uhl this year, it just won't happen.

Of course he's not going to bench him, but he's not going to get prominent minutes either. Loyalty is fine. Uhl has role, you need roll players. He's good on D and has good handles and size. He's playing 10-14 minutes in spot duty and that's not a BAD thing. IMO

you could be right. but Fran has never been loyal to Uhl to the tune of more than 10 minutes per game. Is that actually playing the guy? we'll see soon. I've always been a big Uhl fan, but he just hasn't performed...he isn't aggressive and he needs to be.

Of course he's not going to bench him, but he's not going to get prominent minutes either. Loyalty is fine. Uhl has role, you need roll players. He's good on D and has good handles and size. He's playing 10-14 minutes in spot duty and that's not a BAD thing. IMO

In my opinion having a rotation with 11, 12 or 13 guys is a bad thing. Uhl will be in the rotation.

In my opinion having a rotation with 11, 12 or 13 guys is a bad thing. Uhl will be in the rotation.

I'm cool with that thought but I disagree. If you have the players, play em and don't get caught up in how big the rotation is. A good coach doesn't NOT play guys just because he wants a small rotation and in the same thought, he doesn't play guys to the detriment of the team. Let's be honest, the best players are gonna get the bulk minutes, the rest wont.

I'm cool with that thought but I disagree. If you have the players, play em and don't get caught up in how big the rotation is. A good coach doesn't NOT play guys just because he wants a small rotation and in the same thought, he doesn't play guys to the detriment of the team. Let's be honest, the best players are gonna get the bulk minutes, the rest wont.

I just look at all the other teams out there that are having a lot more success than we are and they aren't playing 11-13 guys. I don't think it makes sense to take minutes away from your better players even if it's just giving someone 5 minutes per game or so. That's still 5 less minutes that a better playing could have.

The problem is, as the podcast discussed, there really isn't 10-14 minutes available to give to Uhl without taking minutes away from other guys.

I broke it down by 40 minutes per position. Seemed like a lot less of a headache...

1 - Bohannon (30), Dailey/Williams (10)
2 - Moss (21), Ellingson/Williams (19)
3 - Baer (25), Uhl/Nunge (15)
4 - Cook (27), Kriener/Wagner/Nunge/Uhl (13)
5 - Pemsl (18), Garza/Kriener (22)

So based off that I'd guesstimate:

Dailey: 7
Williams: 10
Ellingson: 12
Uhl: 7
Wagner: 10
Nunge: 8
Kriener: 10
Garza: 15

With the big guys coming in, Uhl and Wagner's minutes have to go down. I think Nunge is going to need a year to season up to the big ten. Garza is a huge body already and will be ready to bang down low.

At least one of the guards will leave early after this season. With Wieskamp coming in as maybe Fran's biggest recruit ever, he's going to play a lot.

I just look at all the other teams out there that are having a lot more success than we are and they aren't playing 11-13 guys. I don't think it makes sense to take minutes away from your better players even if it's just giving someone 5 minutes per game or so. That's still 5 less minutes that a better playing could have.

Really? Typically Kentucky plays 10+ every year. Louisville plays 10+ every year. Wisconsin plays 10+ every year. Virginia plays 10+ every year. TCU plays 10+ every year. Notre Dame plays 10+ a year.

All of those programs give the bulk of the minutes to their stars, but they regularly play that many. I guess you must mean just Duke or something.

Latest posts