Jon's "Minutes Problem" Podcast

5656 is running his new troll that Uhl will play every game and be in the rotation. As pointed out first by @deanvogs .

There is no precedent that Fran will always ride a senior even if he's not the best option. The only seniors that I can remember that an argument could be made that should have played less were Oglesby and McCabe, and it's not like there were a bunch of guys behind them that weren't getting minutes that deserved them.

In the last 9 games (includes 2 OTs) Uhl played 69 minutes (7.6 MPG). He may have been hurt for one of them but the point still remains. Now we've brought in two 6'11 guys with skills. If Fran feels that Uhl isn't deserving of a spot in the rotation he will make the tough decision to bench him, it's a simple as that. Now that won't occur until B1G play, but is a possibility, regardless of what Cy5656 says about it.

Really? Typically Kentucky plays 10+ every year. Louisville plays 10+ every year. Wisconsin plays 10+ every year. Virginia plays 10+ every year. TCU plays 10+ every year. Notre Dame plays 10+ a year.

All of those programs give the bulk of the minutes to their stars, but they regularly play that many. I guess you must mean just Duke or something.

Kentucky is also loaded with 5 star talent. TCU played 8 guys consistently last year and they weren't very good. Wisconsin played 8 guys last year. Notre Dame played 9.

Kentucky is also loaded with 5 star talent. TCU played 8 guys consistently last year and they weren't very good. Wisconsin played 8 guys last year. Notre Dame played 9.

I don't know where you come up with some of this sh*t but you're wrong. And I'm NOT talking about strictly LAST season, I mean, on the regular. Multiple years. Wisconsin had 11 guys that played in 25+ games last season. Look at year by year, it's pretty much always the case. Yes, there were 8 guys who got the BULK of it, but they still played that many guys all the time. Iowa is going to do that too. You're bulk guys are gonna be 1Jbo, 2Moss, 3Baer, 4Cook, 5Pemsl, 6Wagner, 7Ellingson and ?? Probably 1 more maybe 2. The rest - will get spot minutes but don't come here and act like every other program in the country is doing something Iowa isn't.

I don't know where you come up with some of this sh*t but you're wrong. And I'm NOT talking about strictly LAST season, I mean, on the regular. Multiple years. Wisconsin had 11 guys that played in 25+ games last season. Look at year by year, it's pretty much always the case. Yes, there were 8 guys who got the BULK of it, but they still played that many guys all the time. Iowa is going to do that too. You're bulk guys are gonna be 1Jbo, 2Moss, 3Baer, 4Cook, 5Pemsl, 6Wagner, 7Ellingson and ?? Probably 1 more maybe 2. The rest - will get spot minutes but don't come here and act like every other program in the country is doing something Iowa isn't.
I hate to side with 5656 here but playing games is a lot different than being part of the regular rotation. Kriener played in 28 games last year and wasn't really part of the rotation IMO.

Bo Ryan was historically known for going 7/8 deep at UW.

Wisconsin didn't play 11 guys 25+ games last year. Wisconsin played 37 games last year and only 8 of the guys played more than 30 games. They had a consistent 8 man rotation.

TCU had 10 players that played in over 25 games last season - I used them because they beat us in the NIT and won the NIT. Maryland - had 10 guys that played in 25+ games. Some of Beilein's best teams at Michigan have played 10+ guys regularly. Almost ALL of Izzo's teams play 10+ guys regularly.. You're straight up wrong.

Wisconsin didn't play 11 guys 25+ games last year. Wisconsin played 37 games last year and only 8 of the guys played more than 30 games. They had a consistent 8 man rotation.

Right, I get that but the fact is they still played their roll players in spots, that's how it's done. That's how Fran will do it to IMO - there will 8-9 guys getting the bulk and the rest sprinkled in. JUST LIKE EVERY OTHER PROGRAM IN THE COUNTRY

Right, I get that but the fact is they still played their roll players in spots, that's how it's done. That's how Fran will do it to IMO - there will 8-9 guys getting the bulk and the rest sprinkled in. JUST LIKE EVERY OTHER PROGRAM IN THE COUNTRY

Iowa's regular rotation last year was 8-9

There is no correlation between how many players are in your rotation and how good your team is. If you want to make the argument that most teams don't play 11 guys so it must be the right thing to do, at least that argument makes sense. It's dumb to argue that most good teams only play 8 or 9 guys because then you can easily rebuttal by saying most bad teams only play 8 or 9 guys. Both are obvious because most teams (regardless of how good or bad they are) only play 8 or 9 guys. Learn the debate game guys.

How about Florida State last year? 11 players averaged more than 10 minutes a game.

There is no correlation between how many players are in your rotation and how good your team is. If you want to make the argument that most teams don't play 11 guys so it must be the right thing to do, at least that argument makes sense. It's dumb to argue that most good teams only play 8 or 9 guys because then you can easily rebuttal by saying most bad teams only play 8 or 9 guys. Both are obvious because most teams (regardless of how good or bad they are) only play 8 or 9 guys. Learn the debate game guys.

exactly... and Iowa is going to have 8 or 9 guys who suck up the bulk of minutes and rest will be spread about depending on the game and situation. It's pretty much the exact same situation that every coach in CB finds himself in, just sometimes those 2nd line players are good or better in some seasons- so then you have some decisions. It will all work itself out and the rotation will end up being 8-9 players who get the big minutes.

I'm with 56 in that i think, if healthy - Dom will play in every game this season. But not more 10-14 minutes on the reg, which makes him NOT in the regular rotation.

If you play in every game you are able to (not injured or suspended) you are a rotational player. Last year we had 10.

Jok
Cook
Jordan
Pemsl
Baer
Moss
Wagner
Ellingson
Uhl
Williams

I'm honestly surprised people want to have a 11,12 or 13 man rotation.

RE: Jon's minute breakdown

If Williams' and Moss' improvements are necessary for this team to challenge for the Big10, then JBo is not going to get 31-33 up from 29.

I don't think Pemsl and Kreiner minutes will go up either.

If you play in every game you are able to (not injured or suspended) you are a rotational player. Last year we had 10.

Jok
Cook
Jordan
Pemsl
Baer
Moss
Wagner
Ellingson
Uhl
Williams

I'm honestly surprised people want to have a 11,12 or 13 man rotation.

Nobody wants to have one. It's just that some don't think it's a recipe to lose every game because of it. I honestly don't care how many people play as long as the top 5 get their minutes.

1. Peter Jok 30.7
2. Tyler Cook 24.5
3. Jordan Bohannon 29.6
4. Cordell Pemsl 19.3
5. Nicholas Baer 23.8
6. Isaiah Moss 17.1
7. Ahmad Wagner 16.0
8. Brady Ellingson 14.2
9. Dom Uhl 14.6

^ REGULAR ROTATION

NOT IN REGULAR ROTATION

Ryan Kriener 8.4
Christian Williams 12.8
Dailey 7.7
Jones 3.0

Just what am I exactly missing here 56?
You can't have it both ways. Before you were saying that these teams went X deep because guys played in 25+ games. Now you are saying Iowa only went 9 deep because only 9 played over 13MPG.

IMO you have to play over 10MPG based on total minutes played in games you were healthy (i.e. A guy who plays 10mpg in only 15 games but is a healthy scratch for others doesn't count) to be considered part of the regular rotation.

Most good teams are 9 or under, but as PC points out most teams in general are 9 or under.

The problem for Iowa lies in the above. We lose Jok's 30 guard minutes, which will likely be absorbed primarily by Moss, Ellingson, and Williams. We are adding Garza, Nunge, and potentially Kriener to the big man mix, that's tough. And even with that Cook sat out several games which ballooned other bigs minutes and we played a ton of OT last year. This is a real problem Fran faces guys.

Latest posts