Jon's "Minutes Problem" Podcast

I read a pretty good article on Willams. It talked about how he was tasked to shutting down Mason at the end of the Minnesota game last year. I remember that play and how Mason got shut down. If Williams can just be average on offense, his defense will earn him 12-15 minutes per game.

That's why this whole minutes topic is so interesting. Pretty much all Iowa teams I can remember had players I hated to see on the floor. This team is full of players who are either really good, or give reason to believe they can be good.

All the non "sure thing"players like Uhl, Wagner, Ellingson, Williams, Dailey, Kriener, Nunge, and Garza give reasons to root for them and hope they get good enough to see the floor.

Izzo also has a roster loaded with really good players. He doesn't have players like Dom, Williams, Dailey and others.

I think Fran is building a program that has really good players. And the way you win in football or basketball is to fill up your roster with talent and then find a way to get that talent the ball. KF's achilles heal is his transparent excuses (doesn't know the playbook; can't block; alligator arms; goes down easy) for keeping kids on the bench. Cook and Boyle are examples of talented kids who might not ever see the field in a meaningful manner. A good coach would design some plays that use Boyle's skills. Win/win: The talent doesn't transfer out and opposing teams find it harder to game-plan Iowa.

"This should be on the football board.":p

Last year we had a 10 man rotation. I'd prefer an 8 or 9 but this year it appears we will play 11 or 12. If we roll with a 10 man rotation again this year I won't complain about it.

I don't remember this being expressed explicitly on this thread, but a lot of questions should be answered in about 8 days. While there is still room for change in the months leading up to November, the European trip will, in all likelihood, determine a good chunk of the rotation.

Just my 2¢ .. .. GO HAWKS!!!

I read a pretty good article on Willams. It talked about how he was tasked to shutting down Mason at the end of the Minnesota game last year. I remember that play and how Mason got shut down. If Williams can just be average on offense, his defense will earn him 12-15 minutes per game.

That's why this whole minutes topic is so interesting. Pretty much all Iowa teams I can remember had players I hated to see on the floor. This team is full of players who are either really good, or give reason to believe they can be good.

All the non "sure thing"players like Uhl, Wagner, Ellingson, Williams, Dailey, Kriener, Nunge, and Garza give reasons to root for them and hope they get good enough to see the floor.

The Indiana game at home is what you want from CW. That guy was the perfect complement to JB. I am not sweating the minutes thing because I believe it will work itself out. I am far more worried about Moss and to a lesser extent CW ability to take the next step. If Ellingson has to do more than just be a shooter there could be some problems.

Not that this was what it will be in the heart of the season, but this exhibition went:

Cook 27 min
Bohannon 26
Garza 26
McCaffery 18
Nunge 17
Ellingson 14
Pemsl 13
Moss (injury) 11
Wagner 10
Baer 9
Dailey 9
Uhl 9
Kreiner 8

Baer and Moss will play more, Uhl, McCaffery, Nunge will play less by mid-season IMO.

Good break down. I think that will be pretty close. Anyone listen to the Hawkeye report podcast talking about Weiscamp? His coach says he will be Iowa's starting 2 next year. We could seriously have a couple final 4 runs in the near future.

3cb8a.jpg

Latest posts