Jon is right re: Hoiberg's popularity

I just don't see how playing sparingly in the NBA several years ago is going to influence many recruits. If I were a recruit, I would be less interested in a coach's former playing resume. And more interested in how many of his players have made it to the NBA.

I think Hoiberg was a great college player. I think the fact that he was an Ames boy who played for ISU inflated his legend as a player a little bit. Had he not been from Ames, would he have been more popular than Fizer or Grayer? I suppose that is possible. But I seriously doubt he would have been considered a better player than them.

He hasn't even coached a game yet and already it feels like his coaching tenure has been inflated as well(although I know that there are a lot of Cyclone fans who are in 'wait and see' mode). The fact that he is being talked about however is probably a good thing for the Cyclones. It's never good to have new hires met with silence. In this sense, both Iowa and ISU succeeded. It will be interesting if that translates to performance.

Just heard Jon and Deace arguing about Fred's celebrity status. Deace thought 90% of people in the ped mall in IC would recognize him. No way. Maybe 1 in 10 if that. I worked at a store in downtown Ames for several years. Fred's mom and dad were regulars there. When he would come in, at most half the people knew who he was. If he hadn't been with his folks, I wouldn't have had any idea. He name is big in Ames, but not around the state so much-at least not enough to have any opinion of him. I would put his status near that of Jess Settles. Everyone in IC loves Jess and many would recognize him, but outside of the 319...not so much.
-Greg

Calv, I think you will agree that it is sad to see the depths that Steve can fall to. Hopefully his coherency is much better regarding issues that have significance.

I think Deace's statement is ludicrous. Fred Hoiberg could walk down the street in any town in Eastern Iowa and nobody would look at him twice. In fact, outside of Ames and MAYBE parts of Des Moines he would be unmolested. What a ridiculous statement by Deace.

I certainly hope he wouldn't be molested anywhere!

Ames, Des Moines, or any place :eek:

Hoiberg seems like a good guy, probably a decent pick for a coach for ISU, but seriously doubt he's going to rail in all the top Iowa kids. He'll get his share, no doubt, but enough to call this the Cyclone state? Nah.

Deace's statement is ridiculus, so I won't repeat what's already been said about that. The only thing that worries me about the Hoiberg hire is that he had a 10 yr NBA career and was a successful D1 athlete strictly because of his work ethic. He wasn't a fabulous athlete (I saw him play when I was little against Iowa, and when I was a freshman in college for the TWolves), but he got where he did because of hard work. If he puts that same effort into coaching he COULD be a good HC/recruiter. Even with that though, it's very hard for me to think he'll be the biggest sports celebrity in Iowa history when his time at ISU is done be that in 4 years or 20.

The problem is basketball is basketball and only 25% of the state like the clowns

Football is the sports and 3/4 of fans are Iowa fans

How does Dan Gable not get a mention this morning?

Just heard Jon and Deace arguing about Fred's celebrity status. Deace thought 90% of people in the ped mall in IC would recognize him. No way. Maybe 1 in 10 if that. I worked at a store in downtown Ames for several years. Fred's mom and dad were regulars there. When he would come in, at most half the people knew who he was. If he hadn't been with his folks, I wouldn't have had any idea. He name is big in Ames, but not around the state so much-at least not enough to have any opinion of him. I would put his status near that of Jess Settles. Everyone in IC loves Jess and many would recognize him, but outside of the 319...not so much.
-Greg

Deace is transparently saying something ridiculous to provoke a reaction. Either that or he's gone completely off the deep end. There's no way someone as intelligent as Deace thinks he is could rationally believe a statement like that.

Deace is no better nor worse than the run-of-the-mill radio blabbermouth -- getting a reaction is what it's all about. It's how audiences are built and kept. Reasonable conversation just doesn't work in the ratings game. And he knows it.

My wife and I were visiting her father, who resides in a residential care center in Cedar Rapids, when my son-in-law (an ISU grad) called the afternoon of the Hoiberg hire. He and I chatted for quite awhile because he was not happy because of Hoiberg's lack of coaching experience. After we hung up, I shared the news with my wife, father-in-law, sister-in-law and her husband, and with my brother-in-law and his wife who were all in the room at the time. All live in the 319 area. Although we are long-time Hawkeye fans, I would describe our family as interested observers of the sports scene in Iowa. Their reaction to the news of Hoiberg's hire was a collective "who's he?"

yeah, Deace must have taken up smoking something. I'm 28 Born and bread a Hawkeye fan and there are only a few names from ISU basketball I would reconginize. I think Fizzer.. Fraiser.. Fraizer.. crap. what was his name. well I'm sure people might know who I'm thinking of, but I think he is the Clone basketball player I remember the most, but I doubt I could pick him out of a group of people.

Maybe I'm in the minority but I think you might have to be asking people in their mid-late 30s+, that might recognize him walking down the street in Iowa City. And even then I would be shocked if it was greater then 60%. Hell, I didn't even know who he was when they announced him.

ISU fans are in the honeymoon phase. Pollard is giving out the kool aid and they think it is delicious. The problem is that one cup of kool aid is not quenching their thirst....so they have started chugging it by the gallon at this point

good luck getting past hayden fry! they talk about this guy allllll the time

don't see there being a hoiberg way ever!

I bet McDermott could walk down the street in IC and not be noticed. I doubt Paul Rhodes would attract much attention either. That is what happens when you are irrelevant. I don't think I could picture any of them.

For those that missed it, Steve said Hoiberg has a chance to be the biggest sports celebrity in the history of the state.

I disagreed...said Hayden Fry will not be surpassed.

Why did you stop at Fry?

Can you honestly see him surpassing Dan Gable, Nile Kinnick, or even Kirk Ferentz?

Let’s be honest here, this is the Hawkeye state. I’d imagine somewhere between 60-70% of sports fans statewide identify themselves as Hawkeye fans over Cyclone fans. It only stands to reason that if you are a household name among that group you will easily be a bigger sports “celebrityâ€￾ than The Mayor.

All Fred would have to do to be as well known and worshiped as those guys are win a bunch of Big12 titles, maybe a NC or two, convert several hundred thousand Iowa fans to Iowa State fans, and completely change the dynamic of college sports in the state of Iowa. I guess when you look at it that way he’s got a “chance to be the biggest sports celebrity in the state of Iowaâ€￾.

OK. I live in Indianapolis, and am a big Pacers fan. I love Fred Hoiberg.

That being said. This is a very, very risky hire. I hope that Fred has success, because frankly, it doesn't help anybody when the Clowns are horrible. Seriously.

I find it incredibly idiotic for Cyclone fans, G-d love 'em, to think Fred has this kind of popularity, when he isn't even the best, or certainly most recognizable ISU player of the past twenty or so years. My mind automatically jumps to Jeff Hornacek for that.

I'm beginning to feel really afraid for Fred, and his ability to reach the expectations of these nut jobs, he may be in a no win situation. How patient are they willing to be in Ames?

... If I were a recruit, I would be less interested in a coach's former playing resume. And more interested in how many of his players have made it to the NBA ...

This is right on the money...110%!! Been saying it since this hire and since ISU fans have been claiming his NBA career is why he will get talent over McCaffery.

For those that missed it, Steve said Hoiberg has a chance to be the biggest sports celebrity in the history of the state.

I disagreed...said Hayden Fry will not be surpassed.

I've long suspected Deace says some things just to see the reaction he gets, including on the message boards. This confirms it.

I've long suspected Deace says some things just to see the reaction he gets, including on the message boards. This confirms it.

This is correct. Its all about ratings and interest.

I envision Deace lurking this board right now eating a bag of Doritos, crushing a 44 Mountain Dew and laughing his a$$ off about how much Iowa fans care about what he has to say

Latest posts