Jon is right re: Hoiberg's popularity

CalvaryHawk

Just heard Jon and Deace arguing about Fred's celebrity status. Deace thought 90% of people in the ped mall in IC would recognize him. No way. Maybe 1 in 10 if that. I worked at a store in downtown Ames for several years. Fred's mom and dad were regulars there. When he would come in, at most half the people knew who he was. If he hadn't been with his folks, I wouldn't have had any idea. He name is big in Ames, but not around the state so much-at least not enough to have any opinion of him. I would put his status near that of Jess Settles. Everyone in IC loves Jess and many would recognize him, but outside of the 319...not so much.
-Greg

I guarantee you that most 16 year old kids don't know him either. Paige/Woodbury would have been like 2 years old when Hoiberg graduated. He might be a name for the plus 30 crowd, but people under 30 were likely too young remember him much.

Last edited:
For those that missed it, Steve said Hoiberg has a chance to be the biggest sports celebrity in the history of the state.

I disagreed...said Hayden Fry will not be surpassed.

I laughed when Deace said that. I live in Ankeny ( alot closer to Ames than the ped mall), read the papers, 58 years old (remember FH) and follow sports closely. All that said, FH could walk right by me and I would have no idea who he was.

On the Ped Mall in IC I think he could walk completely unrecognized.

For those that missed it, Steve said Hoiberg has a chance to be the biggest sports celebrity in the history of the state.

There's no way that happens, I can't quit laughing to myself. 90 percent, opps! Bet he wishes he had that one back.

I consider myself a big sports fan and after 15 years of not seeing Fred I would not of recognized him until this week. That said, there are an awful lot of people on the Eastern side of the state that still didn't see Fred this week.

I don't think Steve understand how irrelevant ISU is on the eastern side of the state.

The majority of the population is on the eastern side of the state and they are Iowa fans.

IN Ames Hoiberg is a star, but elsewhere in Iowa? I saw the picture of Hoiberg and didn't remember him...

Ames players aren't even afterthoughts to Iowa fans around the state...

Deace has stars in his eyes...

I've listened to the podcasts about this hire. I can usually appreciate Deace's stance on a lot of topics, but, I came away thinking on this that "Deace is drinking Kool-aid with blinders on".

They were talking about the recruiting effect & comparing Mcaffery to Hoiberg & stating Hoiberg would have a CLEAR advantage. I don't think it will be that clear of an advantage for Hoiberg. I can see them splitting top recruits in the state. Deace kept making mention of Hoiberg's success of being an icon in the state of Iowa along with his NBA experience & administration job with the Timberwolves.

But, Mr. Deace, there is still one huge question, that is that Hoiberg has NEVER managed &/or coached an NCAA team, let alone even a high school or AAU team. He has never had to abide by NCAA regulations yet. Mcaffery has experience & has turned around teams in the past taking them to the NCAA in a relatively short period of time. He is a proven NCAA coach at this point, Fred Hoiberg is not as of yet. I think that will carry some weight with future recruits & even the recruiting field some.

Hoiberg may recruit the state of Iowa a bit better because of his status & being relatively young, but, Mcaffery may do better nationally with his proven success.

The recruiting battle will be fun to watch in near future, at least we have that at a time when both schools programs are at the lowest they have ever been.

Last edited:
Listening to Iowa State fans talk about Hoiberg's NBA success, you would think he was a several time All star and GM of an NBA champion. The guy was a career bench warmer, and in the front office of one of, if not the worst run teams in the league. Not saying it's not helpful to have NBA experience but in no way do I think he's a sure thing.

I don't think that his popularity will have any effect on how he does as a coach or a recruiter. There have been plenty of great players that have turned out to be crappy coaches. Will his name open up some doors? Sure but if he isn't a closer sitting in the homes of young kids it isn't going to matter. Some might be impressed that he played in the NBA others might not care at all. That will only get him so far with some kids.

The ISU fans have only hope. I started in the financial business at a position that was mostly sales. You understand very quickly that it takes a certain personality to succeed as sales. I was too nice and not aggresive enough and chose another direction in the field. Division I basketball recruiting is ALL ABOUT THE SALES. Nice guys finish last, and it takes a true saleman to succeed. Hoiberg is by all accounts a nice guy, and he has Zero sales experience. This may not be a factor at first as they will get a few recruits based on the momentum. But Recruits will want to play for someone who will develope them, that is where ISU will lack. I compare Fred's rolodex to Larry Cotlars, still need the talent behind the contacts.

I think a lot of older ISU fans (and some Iowa fans are guilty of this as well) don't really realize how long it's been since they were young. I'm only 26, and Hoiberg was only vaguely familiar to me in the sense of "A guy who played at ISU in the 90s". I knew he played in the NBA, but couldn't have told you anything about his career. And I certainly wouldn't have recognized him on the street before seeing pictures from the ISU press conference.

Deace is transparently saying something ridiculous to provoke a reaction. Either that or he's gone completely off the deep end. There's no way someone as intelligent as Deace thinks he is could rationally believe a statement like that.

Cyclone fans are over the top delusional about the Hoiberg hire right now. Fry will not be surpassed and either will KF. This is getting insane

Cyclone fans are over the top delusional about the Hoiberg hire right now. Fry will not be surpassed and either will KF. This is getting insane

Steve's mouth often functions before the brain engages. No way Hoiberg even comes close to surpassing Fry or Ferentz, and I would have strong doubts about ever being more popular than Lute Olson, Dan Gable or Johnny Orr.

The ISU fans have only hope. I started in the financial business at a position that was mostly sales. You understand very quickly that it takes a certain personality to succeed as sales. I was too nice and not aggresive enough and chose another direction in the field. Division I basketball recruiting is ALL ABOUT THE SALES. Nice guys finish last, and it takes a true saleman to succeed. Hoiberg is by all accounts a nice guy, and he has Zero sales experience. This may not be a factor at first as they will get a few recruits based on the momentum. But Recruits will want to play for someone who will develope them, that is where ISU will lack. I compare Fred's rolodex to Larry Cotlars, still need the talent behind the contacts.

I think this is where McCaffery will be successful. Strikes me as he can be a very aggressive salesman.

Deace is the same guy that:

1. Thought Michigan couldn't possibly have a worse conference record last year than they had the year before.

2. Thought Gene Chizik was the second coming.

3. Thought the ISU basketball team would make the Sweet 16.

4. Thought ISU would beat Iowa in football last year.

The guy got one "out of left field" prediction right a few years back (Fulmer leaving Tennessee) and has ridden that horse as long as he could.

Remember the Seinfeld episode where George lost his glasses and swore he saw Jerry's girlfriend with another man? George said that if he squinted hard enough he could see and reminded Jerry of the time he drove him to the airport without his glasses he was pointing out raccoons left and right and Jerry told him that they were mailboxes....he just didn't have the heart to tell him. I think Jon needs to start telling Deace that what he's seeing are mailboxes, not raccoons.

Hoiberg won't even be the biggest sports celebrity at his own school, let alone the the state. His "celebrity" will reach about as far East as Newton.

Remember the Seinfeld episode where George lost his glasses and swore he saw Jerry's girlfriend with another man? George said that if he squinted hard enough he could see and reminded Jerry of the time he drove him to the airport without his glasses he was pointing out raccoons left and right and Jerry told him that they were mailboxes....he just didn't have the heart to tell him. I think Jon needs to start telling Deace that what he's seeing are mailboxes, not raccoons.

You're spotting dimes, youre eating onions - i dont know what to believe anymore!

Deace is excellent in radio. But he's just not being objective here.

Look, 90% of college students wouldn't be able to name Joe Biden if he was standing in the Ped Mall surrounded by Secret Service agents. It's a sad fact, but it's true. I promise you that 90% of students could not name Fran McCaffery even if he was wearing an Iowa warm up suit. Fran has received far more coverage in the Eastern Iowa papers (especially the Daily Iowan) than Hoiberg.

Hoiberg may become very popular and famous. But Deace wants this hire to work so badly that he is not allowing for reasonable dissenting opinion. To top matters off, he then acts as if all of his listeners on 1460 have small world views, and can't see the big picture like his "listeners down the hall."

Latest posts