Jok Has Hot Start to Senior Season

JonDMiller

Publisher/Founder
When Iowa offered a scholarship to Peter Jok in October, they did so believing he was close to being recovered from injuries that had sidelined his career the past two years.

Iowa wanted to get in ahead of the big boys, in the event that Jok got anywhere near the kind of player he was as a freshman and before two injuries that took him off the national radar.

The big boys knew about Jok because he was once considered one of the 10 or 20 best players in his class prior to his health setbacks. Fran McCaffery and the Iowa staff watched Jok this summer at some camps and while Jok flashed a bit, he still had a ways to go. Then word began to emerge in early fall that Jok was playing at a high level at some open gyms in West Des Moines. The Iowa staff attended a couple of those and offered the scholarship, believing that Jok would make some degree of return to his former self and that it would be worth 'the risk' to get him signed before the start of his senior season.

Jok visited Iowa the following weekend and committed and is now signed.

Seven games into his senior season, the move appears to be paying off for the Hawkeyes. Jok is averaging a Class 4A best 23.9 points per game and has scored 167 points overall. He scored 194 points in 19 games all of last season, averaging just over 10 points per game. Jok has made 19 of 41 three-point shots (46.3%) and those 19 treys are second most of any player in Class 4A. He's also hitting 88.9% from the line and ranks 7th in free throw attempts in Class 4A.

The reason Jok was rated so high a few years back is because he had a great outside game with a high flying act around the rim. While he's not as 'high flying' as he once was, he is still looking to drive at the basket as evidenced by his high number of free throw attempts. As you can see, he has not lost his stroke from the outside and is near 50 percent from range. When you watch his jump shot, as you can in the video below, he has a very 'repeatable motion' and it's smooth. Jok's scoring average is 2nd in the state among 3A & 4A teams combined and 3rd amongst 2A, 3A and 4A combined. (as reported to quikstatsiowa.com)

Give the clip below a look, as it contains footage from this past weekend. At 6-6, he's able to get his shot off from long range whenever he wants as he can shoot over people. Notice how little space he needs to do this. Granted, things are going to be different at the next level but some players need more room or need to be able to catch and shoot to get into their comfort zone. His 'repeatable motion' looks consistent off the dribble and that form could lead to a high percentage of catch and shoot opportunities, too.

Will Jok become that high flyer that he once was? Probably not, but he has good size and the Iowa Hawkeyes desperately need more long range jump shooters and Jok will certainly help fill that bill next year

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sTd62X9Bq_g

His form is similar to mine... (poor mans version if you will) you should see me tear it up at chuckie cheese! His outside shooting is something I look forward to seeing next year when hes a Hawkeye. Great get by Fran, risk/reward hopefully will pay off in the long run.

I think he's looking pretty solid. Could be a decent replacement for Marble after next year. I'll be curious to see how good of a defender he is.

I have not seen him play except a few clips. I wonder about his defense. Anyone have insight? I asked once and the response was sort of short tempered, like I had an opinion on his defense. I don't. Just wondering what those who see him a lot think.

I have not seen him play except a few clips. I wonder about his defense. Anyone have insight? I asked once and the response was sort of short tempered, like I had an opinion on his defense. I don't. Just wondering what those who see him a lot think.

I am gonna get out to see him a few times this winter. Obviously, highlight clips of scorers usually don't show much defense.

I think it's not uncommon for star HS kids to turn it off and on...once they get to the next level, the on switch has to stay on.

Granted, the video is a highlight reel, he looks really smooth, very fundamentally sound, nice handles, and of course, that smooth stroke. He seems to get how to use his body for space, and has a feel to move. I wonder if that translates well to college ball( I would assume so).

I would think its not that the big boys don't think he will get it back as much as they don't have to take the chance. Just move on to someone more proven

Right, you used the term 'take a chance' which means there is a chance he won't get it back ;)

What does everyone think of his shot? I like that at 6-6 he has the height to deliver it above high school defenders. He does appear to deliver the ball more in front of his face and head rather than above it, which makes me wonder whether he'll be susceptible to blocks at the next level, especially if he doesn't elevate more.

Still, nice get for Fran. Next year could be really interesting.

It's exciting to see these type of players in or soon to be in the Iowa uniform. If you ain't a hawkeye you ain't jack. Go Hawks Go!!!

A couple of little aspects of the game to like in those clips:

He moves without the ball extremely well; it is rare to see a high school player wait for screens, change speeds coming out of the screen, and set up his man with misdirection for the screen as well as this kids does. His fade cut off of a backscreen in there is clinic-esque.

Also, I really do like those jump passes. Usually jump passes a big no no for coaches; however, these passes look like they mostly were coming against zone defenses. Right now, Woodbury is our best high post option against the zone because of his passing ability. It would be nice to have someone with Jok's length and shooting, who could connect on that pass behind the zone.

Latest posts