Jok Has Hot Start to Senior Season

Marcus Paige said in an interview regarding his committment to UNC that he was a huge UNC fan growing up and it was his dream to play there.

I agree Fran can recruit but his best two incoming freshmen (star ranking wise) both admitted to being Iowa fans growing up and wanted to stay here and help rebuild the Iowa program.

In these cases all three kids had something in common they all chose the school they grew up rooting for, maybe there was something that Fran did that got Mike and Woody to come to Iowa but those were things I remember from their committments.

Marcus Paige said in an interview regarding his committment to UNC that he was a huge UNC fan growing up and it was his dream to play there.

I agree Fran can recruit but his best two incoming freshmen (star ranking wise) both admitted to being Iowa fans growing up and wanted to stay here and help rebuild the Iowa program.

In these cases all three kids had something in common they all chose the school they grew up rooting for, maybe there was something that Fran did that got Mike and Woody to come to Iowa but those were things I remember from their committments.

People have secondary teams and I bet he grew up cheering for an in state school as well. I know plenty of people who cheer on Iowa or Iowa State but are also fans of a Duke, UNC, Texas, etc. It's a top, in state, national talent lost.

are you talking about Woody and Gesell? Woody comes from a Hawkeye family, but Gesell grew up a Husker fan. He wasn't even considering Iowa till Fran was hired. Was a pretty significant job by Fran to sell Mike on the Hawkeyes.

jok's injury would seem to have a good prognosis.

for the patellar tendon (which is actually a ligament), there are two grades of injury which require surgery: complete rupture, chronic partial tear. jok had the chronic partial tear. this one can be nasty if there is a history of dislocations of the patella (the kneecap slides off to the outside, and in doing so, causes further damage to the patellar tendon by stretching it), or if there is a long period of swelling and reduced mobility in the knee. in those cases, surgical repair allows the athlete to retun to sports, but often with recurring problems and reduced performance. if the partial tear presents itself like tendonitis, with little swelling and slight reduced mobility, it should respond well to surgery.
QUOTE]

sorry to be nitpicky, but since this is what i do for a living, the patellar tendon is a tendon. tendons connect muscles to bones. ligaments connect bones to other bones. anatomically, the patellar tendon is the part between your patella (kneecap) and tibia and quad tendon the part between your quad and patella. i've worked with some tears of both areas, though they were of the acute (freak injury) type. None returned to full range of motion, though both got close. neither were high level athletes though. at least it is not an injury to the knee joint cartilage itself that doesn't speak well to having a long career.

People have secondary teams and I bet he grew up cheering for an in state school as well. I know plenty of people who cheer on Iowa or Iowa State but are also fans of a Duke, UNC, Texas, etc. It's a top, in state, national talent lost.

While Iowa was my first love as a kid, I liked Indiana basketball under Bob Knight. Don't think I had a secondary favorite in football.

jok's injury would seem to have a good prognosis.

for the patellar tendon (which is actually a ligament), there are two grades of injury which require surgery: complete rupture, chronic partial tear. jok had the chronic partial tear. this one can be nasty if there is a history of dislocations of the patella (the kneecap slides off to the outside, and in doing so, causes further damage to the patellar tendon by stretching it), or if there is a long period of swelling and reduced mobility in the knee. in those cases, surgical repair allows the athlete to retun to sports, but often with recurring problems and reduced performance. if the partial tear presents itself like tendonitis, with little swelling and slight reduced mobility, it should respond well to surgery.
QUOTE]

sorry to be nitpicky, but since this is what i do for a living, the patellar tendon is a tendon. tendons connect muscles to bones. ligaments connect bones to other bones. anatomically, the patellar tendon is the part between your patella (kneecap) and tibia and quad tendon the part between your quad and patella. i've worked with some tears of both areas, though they were of the acute (freak injury) type. None returned to full range of motion, though both got close. neither were high level athletes though. at least it is not an injury to the knee joint cartilage itself that doesn't speak well to having a long career.

So do you, or anyone in the medical field have an idea how well Jok will recover all of the athletic explosiveness he once had? Can someone rehab and work their way back?

my anatomy prof was always pedantic about the patellar tendon: you had to identify it as patellar ligament for full credit. since the patella is a bone, and the tibia is a bone...and it is drawn from for ACL repair...and the latin name is ligamentum patellae....

patellar tendon...patellar ligament...I'd love to know how the duplicate terminology started.

but, it does bring up the question about the nature of Jok's injury. all the press releases say "tear of patellar tendon." Well...is this a partial tear of the bone-to-bone tissue below the patella, or the connecting tendon to the quadricep above it?

if the latter, I've competed against and trained cyclists and speed skaters (before coming to the south) that had overuse injuries of the quadricep tendon that were repaired with debridement and suturing of the tendon, and all were able to come back to pre-injury levels. complete rupture though, yeah, you're screwed.

I'm not a medical professional btw -- I've seen this stuff from the coaching side from training endurance guys in cycling, running, and skating.

So do you, or anyone in the medical field have an idea how well Jok will recover all of the athletic explosiveness he once had? Can someone rehab and work their way back?

Not a medical guy, but as an athlete and coach I've seen endurance guys come back fully from repair of an overuse injury to a tendon.

I've never worked with sprint/power athletes, and I can't recall any NBA guy having a similar injury and coming back fully from it...but the NBA guys who have tendon repairs tend to be in their 30s and have a histories of repeated trips to the DL for overuse tendonitis. Ced Ceballos had the same operation, and was solid for the remaining years of his career, but had lost a half-step. But, you're also talking about a guy who was worn down by a few NBA seasons at that point, and had a long history of overuse. Not a teenage kid who played too much AAU one summer and had (apparently) no prior history of overuse to the tendon.

I remember Joe Klecko rupturing a knee tendon, then came back and was still explosive, for a lineman.

Last edited:
are you talking about Woody and Gesell? Woody comes from a Hawkeye family, but Gesell grew up a Husker fan. He wasn't even considering Iowa till Fran was hired. Was a pretty significant job by Fran to sell Mike on the Hawkeyes.

He grew up a Husker fan in BASKETBALL? I could see football, sure but basketball, I don't know.

I just think it is too early to start judging the depth of Fran's ability to recruit. For some kids it is their childhood team/dream offer or some kids it is style of play that attracts them to a school because of the coach in what style they play.

I for one was an Iowa and Duke fan in basketball growing up. I cheered for ISU and UNI even Drake. Same in football I cheered on the in-state schools, screw everyone else. But never ISU over Iowa in anything.

He has candy striped PJ's, ya know.:cool:

Honestly, that's like saying Nebraska is your second favorite college football team right now. In 1987, I hated Indiana basketball with the bright burning passion of hellfire. Just thinking about that team makes me want to puke poop.

Honestly, that's like saying Nebraska is your second favorite college football team right now. In 1987, I hated Indiana basketball with the bright burning passion of hellfire. Just thinking about that team makes me want to puke poop.

Really? Why?

steve_alford_on_cover_of_indiana_87.jpg

Really? Why?

steve_alford_on_cover_of_indiana_87.jpg

Exactly. And while you're intimating that I retroactively hate Indiana because I hold a grudge against Alford, I assure you it is very much the opposite. I hated the hire the day it happened. It would be like hiring Steele Jantz as our football coach.

Latest posts