Jok An All-American

Jok will likely still need to put on a little weight. The only reason I say that, is that I think he'll probably lose a few pounds once he gets into the program, and therefore his actual playing weight will be less than 210. Add a little extra on to start so that he's at the ideal weight when he hits his playing weight. But he's nowhere near like Marble was as a freshman.

I was standing next to him at the Y a couple of days ago and I'm changing my tune on him needing to put on weight. I think he'll put on weight naturally and that should be good enough. He's just fine where he is now for his age.

BTW, he had some rubber band things around his ankles and was working on his defensive footwork out on the track. Good to know cause Fran told him to work on his defense and it indicates he's taking it seriously. Looks like he has a good work ethic anyway.

Well said. And although I typically HATE the supposed bball guru / experts / professionals who "rate" high school kids, ESPN seems to substantiate this by rating Jok a 3 star overall even though he was #1 in the state of Iowa. Bottom line is like just about every other kid coming outta high school, the jury is out on him until we actually see him play on a consistent basis against D1 talent, especially that within the BIG and especially coming off of injury. Until then we can guess all we want as to how he will turn out.

What difference does that make on a rating?

Is Iowa a hotbed for high school basketball talent? Generally, the answer is no, so why would being the #1 player in a state that isnt a hotbed ensure he would be anything more than a 3*?

Jok needs to get over to Iowa City, PTL, etc. My son says he is taking some really nasty cheap shots at Walnut Creek Y pick-up games...bad enough that he could get hurt. He also tells me he has his explosiveness back and while he probably misses a 3 on occasion he can only remember him missing 1 step back 3 in the times my son has been playing and/or watching...just sharing what I know.

Dont have any idea how good he is. But if he gets 15-20 min a game next year he must be pretty good. I just dont see where his min. are going to come from

What difference does that make on a rating?

Is Iowa a hotbed for high school basketball talent? Generally, the answer is no, so why would being the #1 player in a state that isnt a hotbed ensure he would be anything more than a 3*?

Mr BB in Iowa has been top 100 most years in the last decade.
Marcus Paige -top 30
Jarrod Uthoff- top 100
Harrison Barnes- top 2
Matt Gatens top 75
Jeff Horner- top 65
Dean Oliver- top 100
Ricky Davis-top 35

And of course that does not include Kyle Korver- 1st team AA, Doug McDermott- 1st team all american-2 times, Brunner- top 60 Haluska- top 65 both made all big Ten, Josh Oglesby- top 125, Woody- top 50..

While I would not call Iowa a hotbed,it is a fertile state for top players the last decade.

Dont have any idea how good he is. But if he gets 15-20 min a game next year he must be pretty good. I just dont see where his min. are going to come from

It's easy to forget because of the optimism for next year. But 'as a team', Iowa shot 30.5% from 3 in 2012-13, 11th in the B1G. To me, that makes our win total all the more impressive. If he shoots anywhere near his ability and doesn't fall over his own feet on D, Jok's going to garner significant minutes. Yeah, Fran's going to have some interesting choices to make next year, but one of them that's going to be easy is this: if you can shoot it, you're going to play, because we didn't have anyone who consistently did that last year. Just look at the fact that Fran kept coming back to a 27% 3pt shooter when he needed an outside game if you need any help believing that.

Marcus Paige -top 30
Jarrod Uthoff- top 100
Harrison Barnes- top 2
Matt Gatens top 75
Jeff Horner- top 65
Dean Oliver- top 100
Ricky Davis-top 35

And of course that does not include Kyle Korver- 1st team AA, Doug McDermott- 1st team all american-2 times, Brunner- top 60 Haluska- top 65 both made all big Ten, Josh Oglesby- top 125, Woody- top 50..

While I would not call Iowa a hotbed,it is a fertile state for top players the last decade.

Don't forget Hinrich, Collison, Bohannon, Faroukmanesh and Worley (top-100).

In the past 20 years, Mr. Basketball has been 4-star or higher 13 times (Hinrich and Collison tied in 1999).

Marcus Paige -top 30
Jarrod Uthoff- top 100
Harrison Barnes- top 2
Matt Gatens top 75
Jeff Horner- top 65
Dean Oliver- top 100
Ricky Davis-top 35

One a year or every other year in the top 100 isnt exactly a hotbed, you're right.

Not to be picky, but you wrote "physically ready," not "bigger." Ricky Davis went straight to the league after his freshmen year and you don't do that unless you are very, very physically ready to play college ball. Ricky Davis, IMHO, was the most physically ready player to come to Iowa given his athleticism from day one. Is he the only one and done nba guy ever at Iowa?

That dude was in insane shape for his age.

One a year or every other year in the top 100 isnt exactly a hotbed, you're right.

The point was made that Jok was the #1 player in the state. So a response was giving about the TOP player in the state, not the quantity of good players. It is a fact that over the last 20 years the TOP player in Iowa have turned out way more times than not of being very good BB players, as JH and Wunder pointed out.

Don't forget Hinrich, Collison, Bohannon, Faroukmanesh and Worley (top-100).

In the past 20 years, Mr. Basketball has been 4-star or higher 13 times (Hinrich and Collison tied in 1999).

Some of those guys are real good but Worley should have been more like top-1000.

It's easy to forget because of the optimism for next year. But 'as a team', Iowa shot 30.5% from 3 in 2012-13, 11th in the B1G. To me, that makes our win total all the more impressive. If he shoots anywhere near his ability and doesn't fall over his own feet on D, Jok's going to garner significant minutes. Yeah, Fran's going to have some interesting choices to make next year, but one of them that's going to be easy is this: if you can shoot it, you're going to play, because we didn't have anyone who consistently did that last year. Just look at the fact that Fran kept coming back to a 27% 3pt shooter when he needed an outside game if you need any help believing that.

I think Gesell's shot will fall with more consistency this year. Horner shot just under 28% as a freshman, and shot over 40% the next two years. Mike reminds me of Horner in a lot of ways, and I do think we'll see a similar improvement in outside shooting.

I think Gesell's shot will fall with more consistency this year. Horner shot just under 28% as a freshman, and shot over 40% the next two years. Mike reminds me of Horner in a lot of ways, and I do think we'll see a similar improvement in outside shooting.

I agree with you on Gesell and I think he will spend a lot of time off the ball and be able to get good looks coming off screens. I also think Marble will continue to improve his outside shot, plus the addition of Uthoff and Jok should help. Also, Ogelsby shooting less will certainly help the team's shooting percentage.

I think Ogelsby will be a different shooter next year. I base that on ONE thing only. Frans belief in him

I get it. You know more than Fran.

I think Oglesby wasn't in top shape last year. When a player is asked to defend like Fran asks a player to, he needs to be in exceptional shape if he is a shooter. Gatens got in incredible shape his senior year and had pretty good results. I'm sure Oglesby was in good shape, but a lot of players need to bring it to another level if they want to be the total package in their games.

Latest posts