Jok An All-American

Congrats Petey! He's a huge get for Fran. His ceiling is higher than anyone we currently have on the roster. Not to mention from all accounts, the kids got great character. Doubt we'll have to worry about any run-ins w/the law here. WE.ARE.BACK.

No offense to Peter -- and, indeed, congrats on the honor -- but would you rather have an All-American forward from Valley HS or an All-American guard from Flint joining this Iowa squad?

On this squad, the kid who can shoot the ball the best.

No offense to Peter -- and, indeed, congrats on the honor -- but would you rather have an All-American forward from Valley HS or an All-American guard from Flint joining this Iowa squad?

I don't even understand the question. Is this supposed to be a dig at Iowa high school talent? If so, Raef Lafrentz, Nick Collison, Kirk Hinrich, Harrison Barnes, Kyle Korver, Doug McDermott, Ricky Davis, Marcus Paige, Ryan Bowen, Fred Hoiberg and Matt Bullard all say what's up.

I don't even understand the question. Is this supposed to be a dig at Iowa high school talent? If so, Raef Lafrentz, Nick Collison, Kirk Hinrich, Harrison Barnes, Kyle Korver, Doug McDermott, Ricky Davis, Marcus Paige, Ryan Bowen, Fred Hoiberg and Matt Bullard all say what's up.

Decent list, but, unfortunately probably comes nowhere near the list of Michigan high school talent over the years. Not a dig, but probably reality.

I think the question makes reference to the Cyclone commit. Monte Morris who is also listed in the Parade article....

Not a dig at all at Iowa basketball talent, nor at Fran's recruiting versus the Mayor's or ISU's pick up of Morris. I'm excited Jok decided to become a Hawkeye and eager to see him play. It's just that basketball players out of Flint are usually pretty special, and if you can get a point guard so much the better. Mike Gesell's good at PG and Sapp is a nice back-up; Dev can play the point, as we've seen. I just think if you can get a good PG from Flint you've likely made a big addition to your roster.

Not a dig at all at Iowa basketball talent, nor at Fran's recruiting versus the Mayor's or ISU's pick up of Morris. I'm excited Jok decided to become a Hawkeye and eager to see him play. It's just that basketball players out of Flint are usually pretty special, and if you can get a point guard so much the better. Mike Gesell's good at PG and Sapp is a nice back-up; Dev can play the point, as we've seen. I just think if you can get a good PG from Flint you've likely made a big addition to your roster.

Your post makes it sound like you're automatically good if you're from flint.

Your post makes it sound like you're automatically good if you're from flint.

There are no guarantees, of course. However, I would wager that you have a much better chance of being D1 level good if you grew up playing a lot of hoops in Flint than you are coming from Des Moines or Oskaloosa or 75 percent of the other cities across the US. :cool:

There are no guarantees, of course. However, I would wager that you have a much better chance of being D1 level good if you grew up playing a lot of hoops in Flint than you are coming from Des Moines or Oskaloosa or 75 percent of the other cities across the US. :cool:

I think one thing we can all agree on is that it's better to be from the US than Canada. It's definitely better to have a recruit be from any city in the US than Canada.

The better competition probably makes you more college ready but I don't think where you play in high school changes where your ceiling is at. Now if I would have to find a pg I would have a better chance to find one there then I would here bcause of the higher population.

They have serious HS basketball in Flint and vicinity. Nothing in Iowa comes close. Not a dig, just reality. And not a judgment about Jok because as stated elsewhere, there are plenty of great players coming out of Iowa, but not the level of regular competition that these Michigan guys have.

Thankfully, in today's world of AAU ball, players get to play against and be evaluated against all levels/skill sets of players from the Flints of the world, so as they say even the basketball world is 'flatter' than it was even five or ten years ago...

Thankfully, in today's world of AAU ball, players get to play against and be evaluated against all levels/skill sets of players from the Flints of the world, so as they say even the basketball world is 'flatter' than it was even five or ten years ago...

1/2 true, but you still cannot ignore the level of competition (or lack thereof) during the High School season. Generally speaking, you will see a kid more in a "team" environment moreso during the High School season than you will during AAU, which is nothing but glorified streetball / 1 on 1 showboating for the most part.

Who really cares? I would rather take the better PLAYER, no matter where they were from. You can have a kid from small town USA VS NYC, I want the kid who Fran fells is better. We didn't target PG with this year class, so Morris was probably never ever on Fran's radar.

Who really cares? I would rather take the better PLAYER, no matter where they were from. You can have a kid from small town USA VS NYC, I want the kid who Fran fells is better. We didn't target PG with this year class, so Morris was probably never ever on Fran's radar.

Seriously. If the question is whether I'd take the average player from Des Moines or the average player from Flint, I'd got with Flint...but that has nothing to do with the price of bread.

If the question is whether I'd take Jok or Morris, I go with Jok. So, what are we debating?

Latest posts