Jok An All-American

Here is what I think about JOK argument. Is JOK a game changer no is he a big ten starter maybe, maybe not. However I think it is very important that Iowa locks down the borders keeping KU and UNC out when the game changers do come along. Iowa St is no real threat it's keeping the bigger programs out of the state.

I guess it depends on how you define a "game changer". As far as keeping other schools out of Iowa, I think keeping Woody at home, and Jok at home are good starts. If Fran didn't lock down Jok when he did, lots of schools would have wanted a Parade AA.

Dude. He needs to add muscle. Trust me. But which freshman doesn't.

I say this with all due respect, because you're a smart dude. But you're being dumb.

Peter Jok is one of the most physically ready eighteen year-olds to ever come to Iowa. Joey Range, Connie Hawkins and Jess Settles might be his sole competition. Does he need to put in time in the gym? Sure, but so does Adrian Peterson. So does Albert Pujols.

Peter Jok is a big dude.

I say this with all due respect, because you're a smart dude. But you're being dumb.

Peter Jok is one of the most physically ready eighteen year-olds to ever come to Iowa. Joey Range, Connie Hawkins and Jess Settles might be his sole competition. Does he need to put in time in the gym? Sure, but so does Adrian Peterson. So does Albert Pujols.

Connie Hawkins is probably the most talented athletic ever recruited by Iowa for basketball......

As I have mentioned before, a friend of mine from DM was on the freshman team with Connie. He said Connie would dribble two balls the length of the court and dunk both balls.....

He was the best freshman in America, if not the best college player even though freshman were not eligible at the time.....

Connie Hawkins,a.k.a "The Hawk"(Greatest NYC playground legend EVER) - YouTube

I really like Jok and think he will contribute significantly as the season goes on.....

:)

Congrats Peter.

And congrats AJ Jacobson from my HS alma mater in Fargo. Which isn't Flint, so he probably actually sucks.

Peter Jok is a big dude.[/QUOTE]

No, he is not.

But maybe him putting on weight is overrated. Reggie Miller needed to "put on weight" his whole career and, last I heard, he was pretty good.

No, I'm not comparing Jok to Miller in terms of talent but just that weight and muscle in basketball can be overrated.

Go back and look at his senior film. Jok's the same height as Kobe Bryant and weighs five pounds more. He's the same height at Michael Jordan and weighs six pounds less than MJ's peak playing weight.

I'm not saying he's Karl Malone, but muscle isn't a problem at this point.

Go back and look at his senior film. Jok's the same height as Kobe Bryant and weighs five pounds more. He's the same height at Michael Jordan and weighs six pounds less than MJ's peak playing weight.

/argument

I thought he looked rather built for a high schooler as well. Could be wrong, but that was my perception.

Connie Hawkins is probably the most talented athletic ever recruited by Iowa for basketball......

As I have mentioned before, a friend of mine from DM was on the freshman team with Connie. He said Connie would dribble two balls the length of the court and dunk both balls.....

He was the best freshman in America, if not the best college player even though freshman were not eligible at the time.....

Connie Hawkins,a.k.a "The Hawk"(Greatest NYC playground legend EVER) - YouTube

I really like Jok and think he will contribute significantly as the season goes on.....

:)

I have never seen someone do so much by palming the ball. How big are Connie Hawkins' hands? He is amazing in how he can go from a full grip on the ball to finger-tip control. It was fun to be reminded of what an incredible player he was.

I have never seen someone do so much by palming the ball. How big are Connie Hawkins' hands? He is amazing in how he can go from a full grip on the ball to finger-tip control. It was fun to be reminded of what an incredible player he was.

Looks like he dunked the ball over Wilt the Stilt and Lew Alcindor/Karrim Abdul Jabbar when he was playing for the Milwaukee Bucks.....

Jok is near the ideal weight for a player his size. He could maybe stand to gain another five pounds, but after that it may begin to negatively impact his quickness and explosiveness. Jok will be physically ready to compete in the B1G as a true freshman.

Didn't you guys watch his SR highlights? I expect Peter to get stronger and leaner but not lighter. 6'6 and 210 lbs for an 18 yr old is big. Especially when you consider all of the running he does, playing basketball. Some of you guys need to pay a little more attention to details. No offense.

Didn't you guys watch his SR highlights? I expect Peter to get stronger and leaner but not lighter. 6'6 and 210 lbs for an 18 yr old is big. Especially when you consider all of the running he does, playing basketball. Some of you guys need to pay a little more attention to details. No offense.

That's never been a strong suit around here.

Jok's way bigger than '98 Ricky.

Not to be picky, but you wrote "physically ready," not "bigger." Ricky Davis went straight to the league after his freshmen year and you don't do that unless you are very, very physically ready to play college ball. Ricky Davis, IMHO, was the most physically ready player to come to Iowa given his athleticism from day one. Is he the only one and done nba guy ever at Iowa?

Jok will likely still need to put on a little weight. The only reason I say that, is that I think he'll probably lose a few pounds once he gets into the program, and therefore his actual playing weight will be less than 210. Add a little extra on to start so that he's at the ideal weight when he hits his playing weight. But he's nowhere near like Marble was as a freshman.

There are no guarantees, of course. However, I would wager that you have a much better chance of being D1 level good if you grew up playing a lot of hoops in Flint than you are coming from Des Moines or Oskaloosa or 75 percent of the other cities across the US. :cool:

Well said. And although I typically HATE the supposed bball guru / experts / professionals who "rate" high school kids, ESPN seems to substantiate this by rating Jok a 3 star overall even though he was #1 in the state of Iowa. Bottom line is like just about every other kid coming outta high school, the jury is out on him until we actually see him play on a consistent basis against D1 talent, especially that within the BIG and especially coming off of injury. Until then we can guess all we want as to how he will turn out.

Latest posts