Joe Wieskamp No. 25 in ESPN's New Top 60 for '18

We were definitely maxed - we found our first agreement of the day. Why is it so hard for you to conceive that the classes Fran is recruiting at Iowa during an NCAA tourney uptick are going to be a better finished product then what he piled together after taking over a cratered program?

I think he could have went after JUCOs and transfers and not had such a huge drop off this year. I also don't like him going after as many HS kids as he has because now we're going to have to push out probably 3 kids after this year. He put himself in a really bad situation scholarship wise and got his team really young which was avoidable. I still don't think we're an NCAA team next year but will be when Wieskamp gets here. Our guard play will be pretty weak next year in my opinion

Williams playing out of position is exactly why I'm not high on him. He's not a PG, it's pretty obvious to see. He'd be much better playing on the wing

Right, but it's out necessity because why? Fran missed on some PG's right? He did, I know it, you know - he knows it. But you don't think with how Fran has been able to develop players in this program over the last 7 years he won't be able to shape either CW of JB into something serviceable til he hits? And... you don't think that the work that CW's getting now will improve him going forward? Cause I do.

Right, but it's out necessity because why? Fran missed on some PG's right? He did, I know it, you know - he knows it. But you don't think with how Fran has been able to develop players in this program over the last 7 years he won't be able to shape either CW of JB into something serviceable til he hits? And... you don't think that the work that CW's getting now will improve him going forward? Cause I do.

Did he develop his last PG?

Juco's or Transfers - you don't say no but I'd much rather have HS kids. Any day

I want the best talent possible, I don't care where they come from as long as you can somewhat balance classes. Signing 10 HS kids in 2015 and 2016 is a recipe for disaster for a couple of years

What are you talking about? Michigan State won 13 of their last 14 games and was a 2 seed heading into the tournament

You said other teams got better while we didn't. We were good enough to beat MSU at their place but then Penn State got so good at the end of the year that we couldn't beat them?

I'm going to fill you in on a little secret. Good basketball has a lot to do with shooting. Players go thru streaks of shooting good and shooting bad. Uthoff was on a hot streak for awhile and played like an all american. Then he went on a cold streak and played like an honorable mention Big 10 player. If the season went another 10 games he might very well have looked like an all American again. Teams didn't figure us out. Teams didn't improve while we stayed the same. We were really good because we had one of the best players in the country. Then we played bad because he started sucking (comparison wise, he was still pretty good).

Oh, you mean the single season record holder in assists and 4th all time in school history? Yeah, he was pretty decent, he developed into an above average PG for Iowa.

Agreed 100%. Which is why I think it was crazy people think CW was going to be better than him this year or even better than him at any point in his career

You said other teams got better while we didn't. We were good enough to beat MSU at their place but then Penn State got so good at the end of the year that we couldn't beat them?

I'm going to fill you in on a little secret. Good basketball has a lot to do with shooting. Players go thru streaks of shooting good and shooting bad. Uthoff was on a hot streak for awhile and played like an all american. Then he went on a cold streak and played like an honorable mention Big 10 player. If the season went another 10 games he might very well have looked like an all American again. Teams didn't figure us out. Teams didn't improve while we stayed the same. We were really good because we had one of the best players in the country. Then we played bad because he started sucking (comparison wise, he was still pretty good).

We beat MSU in December and January, they got better and we didn't

Agreed 100%. Which is why I think it was crazy people think CW was going to be better than him this year or even better than him at any point in his career

I didn't say that, I think CW is a 2 playing the 1 out of necessity. I think Jordan can be better offensively than MG - if he's given time he could develop into an above average PG for Iowa. He's at least shown flashes

I didn't say that, I think CW is a 2 playing the 1 out of necessity. I think Jordan can be better offensively than MG - if he's given time he could develop into an above average PG for Iowa. He's at least shown flashes

I agree with this. PC and many others said CW was going to be better than Mike

That would be tough IMO - MG was a Parade All American - while his shooting hurt - he was about as solid as it comes with the rock. He unfortunately didn't seem to have the mental aptitude to be a killer - elite - PG - IMO and while he also showed signs he never really kicked the door down to be anything better than just above average. IMO.

I said and still think it doesn't take much to be better than Mike. I think 10 games in, we are better offensively than we would have been with Mike and worse defensively then we would have been with Mike.

That would be tough IMO - MG was a Parade All American - while his shooting hurt - he was about as solid as it comes with the rock. He unfortunately didn't seem to have the mental aptitude to be a killer - elite - PG - IMO and while he also showed signs he never really kicked the door down to be anything better than just above average. IMO.

He showed flashes at times. Michigan State and Nebraska last year, UNC his Junior year but I agree he didn't have the mental aptitude to take the game over. I did say he was a very underrated defender by some fans but he wasn't by the coaches. They raved about his defensive abilities any chance they got and I tried to tell people his defense and his ability to take care of the ball and run the offense was sorely going to be missed this year but people said I was trolling

I said and still think it doesn't take much to be better than Mike. I think 10 games in, we are better offensively than we would have been with Mike and worse defensively then we would have been with Mike.

See InGoodCo, this is what I'm talking about. Delusional

We beat MSU in December and January, they got better and we didn't

So we could beat that caliber of team early, but then due to other teams getting better and us staying the same, we were unable to beat a team the caliber of Penn State late in the year?

So we could beat that caliber of team early, but then due to other teams getting better and us staying the same, we were unable to beat a team the caliber of Penn State late in the year?

It's called an upset. We peaked early and maxed out, other posters will agree with that. You are just a homer, don't know what else to say

I would like to know how we would even score this year with a point guard who would never shoot or feed the post.

Jok is averaging 24 ppg. I would like to know what our record would be this year if we had a PG that was serviceable defensively. I'd guess 8-2

It's called an upset. We peaked early and maxed out, other posters will agree with that. You are just a homer, don't know what else to say

It was an upset. And we lost 3 close games to really good teams with our All American in a slump. Weird how that can work without having to come up with some bs reason like teams got better or they figured us out.

Latest posts