Joe Wieskamp No. 25 in ESPN's New Top 60 for '18

I don't remember but I saw a lot of stats of his over the last couple years where he went on big field goal droughts. I'm pretty surethe last few games of his junior (or maybe sophomore ) year he went like 1 for 22 or something like that.

I'm on the fence if Williams will ever be better than Mike mostly because he's playing out of position. I don't think he will be next year at all though like other posters have said so that's mainly what I'm referencing

I think you're overreacting because you enjoy being negative and stoking an argument. Iowa hasn't had great PG play for Fran's entire tenure and he's managed to lead a successful team. It's as simple as that. Making hypothetical assumptions that it's going to change this year for some reason is borderline stupid in my opinion.

I'm on the fence if Williams will ever be better than Mike mostly because he's playing out of position. I don't think he will be next year at all though like other posters have said so that's mainly what I'm referencing

I understand you're only talking about next year. I just think as much as Gesell under achieved and as much as Williams improved (from watching him play not from looking at stats) he won't have to improve a whole lot to equal Gesell's production.

Mike was clearly better than CW last year and everyone on here hates on Mike and thinks next year CW will be better than Mike ever was. He is going to have to improve A LOT in a short time for that to be the case which seems unrealistic to me

I certainly don't hate Mike, he was a good player for us. If CW was close to as good as him as a freshman, I think it's reasonable to believe he will be better than Mike ever was, if he continues to improve. One of the problem's with Mike was that he didn't appear to improve his game much throughout his career.

You seem to know a lot about Iowa hoops, which I can appreciate. I'm still pretty sure you're trolling, if not your heads so far gone I really can't help. Hopefully you can have a nice dish of crow when CW exceeds your expectations this year.

I don't remember but I saw a lot of stats of his over the last couple years where he went on big field goal droughts. I'm pretty surethe last few games of his junior (or maybe sophomore ) year he went like 1 for 22 or something like that.

In the last two seasons he's never went 3 games in a row without making a field goal. Last year he went two games in a row where he didn't but it was early on and they were blowout wins where he didn't play much. Don't let that stop you from making up stuff to make him look worse than he was though

I certainly don't hate Mike, he was a good player for us. If CW was close to as good as him as a freshman, I think it's reasonable to believe he will be better than Mike ever was, if he continues to improve. One of the problem's with Mike was that he didn't appear to improve his game much throughout his career.

You seem to know a lot about Iowa hoops, which I can appreciate. I'm still pretty sure you're trolling, if not your heads so far gone I really can't help. Hopefully you can have a nice dish of crow when CW exceeds your expectations this year.

He wasn't though.

In the last two seasons he's never went 3 games in a row without making a field goal. Last year he went two games in a row where he didn't but it was early on and they were blowout wins where he didn't play much. Don't let that stop you from making up stuff to make him look worse than he was though

I didn't mean it to sound like I was looking up stats and posting them as set in stone stats. I was guessing off memory. For all I know, he made zero field goals one game, one the next, then zero the next. Also for all I know he had 5 really bad games with a 20 point game sandwiched in the middle. I don't remember specifics but I do know he had multiple bad stretches multiple times in his career.

I think you're overreacting because you enjoy being negative and stoking an argument. Iowa hasn't had great PG play for Fran's entire tenure and he's managed to lead a successful team. It's as simple as that. Making hypothetical assumptions that it's going to change this year for some reason is borderline stupid in my opinion.

We were an NCAA team 3 years in a row, most people are predicting NIT now. The PG position has a lot to do with that

Also I know this has been brought up before, but Mike and Anthony both said in a podcast that Williams was the player to watch next year. Out of the entire roster, they both agreed that he was the one that will turn heads the most. That says a lot to me since they play against him every day.

Also I know this has been brought up before, but Mike and Anthony both said in a podcast that Williams was the player to watch next year. Out of the entire roster, they both agreed that he was the one that will turn heads the most. That says a lot to me since they play against him every day.

They said Fleming was the freshman standing out to them last year too so take it with a grain of salt

We were an NCAA team 3 years in a row, most people are predicting NIT now. The PG position has a lot to do with that

I agree that most people are concerned with the point guard position. But the really big fans that watch every minute of every game are starting to see why we will be fine at point guard. It's easy to think losing a 4 year starter will make you worse because most of the time it will. But if you really think about how many games the point guard lost us in the closing minutes last year, you can see how a less experienced, more clutch player could be an upgrade.

If I remember correctly Clemmons said it after PTL was over that he was the one that was standing out

Saying something after a PTL game, vs saying something after practicing with a player for a year are 2 different things. Gesell and Clemmons were both talking up Williams pretty highly after this season......no mention of Fleming at all.

I agree that most people are concerned with the point guard position. But the really big fans that watch every minute of every game are starting to see why we will be fine at point guard. It's easy to think losing a 4 year starter will make you worse because most of the time it will. But if you really think about how many games the point guard lost us in the closing minutes last year, you can see how a less experienced, more clutch player could be an upgrade.

You're crazy man

Saying something after a PTL game, vs saying something after practicing with a player for a year are 2 different things. Gesell and Clemmons were both talking up Williams pretty highly after this season......no mention of Fleming at all.

That's true but when they said he was the freshman standing out in July after PTL and workouts I expected him to play this last year and he didn't.

That's true but when they said he was the freshman standing out in July after PTL and workouts I expected him to play this last year and he didn't.

So why do you not expect Williams to be good this year? Because you were burned the one time? I think Fleming could have been good. He came in and jacked up a bunch of shots right away every time, lost Fran's trust, and got impacient and transfered. The kid definitely had the potential to be good.

So why do you not expect Williams to be good this year? Because you were burned the one time? I think Fleming could have been good. He came in and jacked up a bunch of shots right away every time, lost Fran's trust, and got impacient and transfered. The kid definitely had the potential to be good.

I don't think he'll be better than Mike was last year because he didn't play much last year and he's a natural wing playing PG at a high level which he's never done. I don't think I'm out of line for thinking that either

I don't think he'll be better than Mike was last year because he didn't play much last year and he's a natural wing playing PG at a high level which he's never done. I don't think I'm out of line for thinking that either

But you said after hearing Clemmons say Fleming was good, you expected him to play. Now both Gesell and Clemmons say Williams be good. You won't believe them anymore just because Fleming didn't work out? They both know he didn't get a lot of minutes last year. They both know what position he will play. But they still say he will be the biggest surprise next year.

But you said after hearing Clemmons say Fleming was good, you expected him to play. Now both Gesell and Clemmons say Williams be good. You won't believe them anymore just because Fleming didn't work out? They both know he didn't get a lot of minutes last year. They both know what position he will play. But they still say he will be the biggest surprise next year.

Fran says players are going to be good all the time and they aren't so I'm going to take what Mike and Sapp said on a podcast with a grain of salt. Williams playing out of position is what scares me most, maybe they were saying he's a good player because he played his natural position this last season and now he's going to get moved?

Last year we were a 7 seed, this year according to you we're returning the best player in the conference, bringing in a blue chip post recruit and according to you upgrading the PG position. What seed do you think we will be this upcoming year? 3 seed maybe?

Latest posts