Joe Toussaint

Fran has us set up pretty good for the next few years, assuming no one leaves early. I really hope the team can somehow make the tournament this year with all these injuries. After that, we're stacked big time next year. The year after we should still be pretty damn good with Joe T, Joe W, CJ, Connor, Nunge, and Patrick all here. After that we have a senior back court that will be one of the best in the conference.

You read way to much into my original comment, it was a wish. Again I doubt he will ever be a decent 3 point shooter. I never said he couldn’t be a decent PG without the 3 ball.

Depends on your definition of decent. I'd be surprised if he didn't at least hit Gesell/Clemmon's levels of shooting, which were totally respectable. He's already better than Cartwright, although that's not saying much....

Depends on your definition of decent. I'd be surprised if he didn't at least hit Gesell/Clemmon's levels of shooting, which were totally respectable. He's already better than Cartwright, although that's not saying much....

He already has the tools to be a decent PG. Quickness, defense, dribble penetration, good passing ability. Anything Iowa gets offensively will be gravy.

He's probably not even as bad of a shooter as he's shown so far. He clearly has an issue with trying to hard and going too fast. Once the game slows down for him a bit and he gets more comfortable, he will probably start making them more.

I played up until my Sophmore year in HS Than drinking and other stuff became more fun. :):) I graduated Burlington High School in 88. In 87 BHS won State title. I never sniffed the court with the talent Burlington had at that time.

I moved away after HS joined Marines and moved back to Burlington in 94 With my wife and our 1 child at the time, relocated for job in 2005 to Owatonna, Mn.

I hear that. I was a 97 graduate from Danville, was there when Coach Laffoon took started there, but graduated before the program became what it was.

Probably the only silver lining of all these injuries is that Toussaint is going to get a ton of run this year. Great learning opportunity Friday against Cowan. That could pay dividends for him and Iowa in the years to come.

The only thing you could worry about is him losing his confidence some, but I think he’s super tough and confident so I don’t think that happens.

He's probably not even as bad of a shooter as he's shown so far. He clearly has an issue with trying to hard and going too fast. Once the game slows down for him a bit and he gets more comfortable, he will probably start making them more.
He chicken wings . He has to keep that elbow in or it will never go in consistently. He won’t be a great player until he rectifies this.

I realize he's a frosh and will get better but he's not really playing great D. I heard that during the NU telecast the announcers just raved about JT's D....but while watching that game, he looked like he might be one of our worse defenders. He couldn't stop Mack at the top of the key and his guy was driving and getting into the lane just about any time he wanted. Just my 2 cents, his defense hasn't really shined so far in his new extended role.

I realize he's a frosh and will get better but he's not really playing great D. I heard that during the NU telecast the announcers just raved about JT's D....but while watching that game, he looked like he might be one of our worse defenders. He couldn't stop Mack at the top of the key and his guy was driving and getting into the lane just about any time he wanted. Just my 2 cents, his defense hasn't really shined so far in his new extended role.
Couple things I would say.

I do think he gets lazy and gambles at times and he has throughout the year. In that Nebraska game I think everyone on Iowa was pretty lazy on defense. One thing I noticed with Mack was that Garza switched out onto him far too often and it led to a bucket, it seemed to me Joe was fighting through but Garza just switched and then was stuck guarding Mack on the perimeter.

The second thing I would add is we’ve played a ton of zone defense lately, due to injuries and poor shooting teams. I don’t think that’s an area where Joe T excels opposed to man to man. He’s better suited in man so I’m not sure I blame him that the rest of the team isn’t.

Either way he is our best defensive guard (based on defensive rating). He can improve on that end for sure but I wouldn’t base too much off that one night.

He chicken wings . He has to keep that elbow in or it will never go in consistently. He won’t be a great player until he rectifies this.
Yeah it's not a conventional shot. He nails his FTs with it. That is probably about as far out as he can be consistent with it. It's tough having a PG that can't hit 3s very well but if his other traits make up for it we'll be alright. He just has to play with other shooters on the floor

Until Fredrick is back, they don't have much choice right now. He's going to have to keep shooting or they'll just keep packing it in on Garza and harassing Wieskamp. Same for Evelyn and McCaffrey. It could be/probably will be painful, but they don't have other options, except to pray for Fredrick's quick return.

You know the fits he's gunna give teams next year coming off the bench for a change of pace guy. Opponents will get used to guarding Bohannon, next thing you know, here's Joe T blowing by you.

Latest posts