Joe Toussaint

If he starts making folks pay for going under on screens he's going to be one heck of a handful for other teams. He was one heck of a bright spot from that game. Glad he's getting some recognition for it

And I know that dude didn't go under. But most are going to play him that way until he hits that more consistently. Bigs won't show out that far almost regardless. When it's Garza setting the screen more attention will be paid to him usually I bet.

If he starts making folks pay for going under on screens he's going to be one heck of a handful for other teams. He was one heck of a bright spot from that game. Glad he's getting some recognition for it

And I know that dude didn't go under. But most are going to play him that way until he hits that more consistently. Bigs won't show out that far almost regardless. When it's Garza setting the screen more attention will be paid to him usually I bet.
Iowa set a lot of ball screens for Joe in the second half and he was getting in the lane on most possessions which is a good sign.

We need him to play well again tomorrow night with the injury issues. These minutes and hopefully continued confidence can be huge for him going forward.

I would think the B1G freshman team would be Carton, Cockburn, Jackson-Davis, and Fredrick for sure. The other spot up for grabs maybe the Wagner kid from Michigan, Lidell at OSU, I think NW has a freshman. Could Toussaint make a push now that he’s in a starting role? More performances like that PSU one and he’d be in the conversation.

Iowa set a lot of ball screens for Joe in the second half and he was getting in the lane on most possessions which is a good sign.

We need him to play well again tomorrow night with the injury issues. These minutes and hopefully continued confidence can be huge for him going forward.

I would think the B1G freshman team would be Carton, Cockburn, Jackson-Davis, and Fredrick for sure. The other spot up for grabs maybe the Wagner kid from Michigan, Lidell at OSU, I think NW has a freshman. Could Toussaint make a push now that he’s in a starting role? More performances like that PSU one and he’d be in the conversation.
Yeah he's going to have every opportunity now. With CM being sick and most likely not 100 % that's just one more less ball handler for Tuesday. He's gone from sit and watch/learn to ok now you gotta not only play but play a ton and be expected to play well in a short amount of time. Mentally that can be a lot to adjust to. So far he's shown he's tough as nails all around. Can't ask for more then that. I think the rest will come he's got the tools. He's a got a belt of tools most don't have.

Yeah he's going to have every opportunity now. With CM being sick and most likely not 100 % that's just one more less ball handler for Tuesday. He's gone from sit and watch/learn to ok now you gotta not only play but play a ton and be expected to play well in a short amount of time. Mentally that can be a lot to adjust to. So far he's shown he's tough as nails all around. Can't ask for more then that. I think the rest will come he's got the tools. He's a got a belt of tools most don't have.

If all the players (minus this years seniors) return along with Bo next season next season we should see Fran’s best team as an Iowa coach.

This should bode extremely well with JT getting so much valuable experience this year. There will be heavy expectations on Fran that’s for sure.

If only JT could develop a 3 point shot he could be lethal on the offensive side. I love what he can do defensively.

If only JT could develop a 3 point shot he could be lethal on the offensive side. I love what he can do defensively.
To be honest everyone says 3pt shot becuase it’s low hanging fruit, but in terms of his overall game there are a few things he needs to develop including finishing around the hoop, not extending his off arm as he drives, knowing when to use his speed and when to reign it in, limiting silly turnovers, mid range maybe a little floater type shot, skip passes out of a pick and roll etc.

I’m really less concerned about the 3pt shot than I am some of those other things right now. The 3pt shot might not come until even his Jr. year, at which point he could be a very high level player for us. Right now he can effect the game in other ways for us than the 3.

To be honest everyone says 3pt shot becuase it’s low hanging fruit, but in terms of his overall game there are a few things he needs to develop including finishing around the hoop, not extending his off arm as he drives, knowing when to use his speed and when to reign it in, limiting silly turnovers, mid range maybe a little floater type shot, skip passes out of a pick and roll etc.

I’m really less concerned about the 3pt shot than I am some of those other things right now. The 3pt shot might not come until even his Jr. year, at which point he could be a very high level player for us. Right now he can effect the game in other ways for us than the 3.

He's a true freshman, making freshman mistakes. A lot of that will correct itself with experience.

Right now with no threat of the 3 ball the defenders play him soft to cut off the dribble drive. He will probably never develop that outside shot.

He's a true freshman, making freshman mistakes. A lot of that will correct itself with experience.

Right now with no threat of the 3 ball the defenders play him soft to cut off the dribble drive. He will probably never develop that outside shot.
I agree that a lot of those things will come with more experience.

I compare his situation to that of Zavier Simpson at Michigan. Simpson has been a quality PG on winning Michigan teams and really lacked a jump shot the whole time. Still many ways to effect the game.

Toussaint isn’t exactly the same player, I actually think he’s more explosive than Simpson. Toussaint so far has been a much better free throw shooter.

The point is that there are so many areas Joe can improve and really excel at prior to the 3pt shot. He should be able to get into the lane even if his defenders sag off some.

I’m not saying I don’t want him to get good at shooting 3s, I certainly hope he does, my point is if takes some time he can still be a very quality PG for us without the outside shot.

I compare his situation to that of Zavier Simpson at Michigan. Simpson has been a quality PG on winning Michigan teams and really lacked a jump shot the whole time. Still many ways to effect the game.

Toussaint isn’t exactly the same player, I actually think he’s more explosive than Simpson. Toussaint so far has been a much better free throw shooter.

The point is that there are so many areas Joe can improve and really excel at prior to the 3pt shot. He should be able to get into the lane even if his defenders sag off some.

I’m not saying I don’t want him to get good at shooting 3s, I certainly hope he does, my point is if takes some time he can still be a very quality PG for us without the outside shot.

I think his 3 point shooting will be good enough that defenders won't sag too often. His shooting motion isn't horrible and when the chips were down, he scored 16 points in the second half and canned 2 of 4. Can't ask for much more than that. His average for the year is brought down by early season games and right now it's an incredibly small sample size. He only attempted 5 in the entire month of December.

I guess the only thing I'm trying to say here is that while he has many things to improve, his shooting isn't quite as terrible as everyone is making it out to be. I find it odd that after going 2-4 in difficult circumstances it's the thing that everyone is focusing on.

I think his 3 point shooting will be good enough that defenders won't sag too often. His shooting motion isn't horrible and when the chips were down, he scored 16 points in the second half and canned 2 of 4. Can't ask for much more than that. His average for the year is brought down by early season games and right now it's an incredibly small sample size. He only attempted 5 in the entire month of December.

I guess the only thing I'm trying to say here is that while he has many things to improve, his shooting isn't quite as terrible as everyone is making it out to be. I find it odd that after going 2-4 in difficult circumstances it's the thing that everyone is focusing on.
In the interest of fairness his second three was at the very end of the game where he just dribbled into a shot he had to take as the clock expired. It was a meaningless shot. Also outside of his 5 3pt attempts in December he’s taken a lot of mid range jump shots and the majority of those have been bricks.

He’s shooting free throws well so that’s a good sign. It sounds like he works a lot at his outside shot.

Like I’ve said, I’m not super concerned with the outside shot right now. He can still effect the game in a lot of ways and improve on some things outside of shooting. If/when the 3pt shot does come in his career I think we are going to have a really good player.

In regards to Joe T. I said before I don’t see where people are thinking his minutes are going to come next year. We return a 4 year starter at PG, Cmac, plus we return Moss, Dailey, Weiskamp, and Frederick comes into the fold. Maybe there will be transfers but minutes are going to be tough to come by.

Nike, not picking on you, but this just shows you how much can change in just over one year's time. Thanks goodness for Joe. :)

Garza is a stud who will win a lot of games for us this year and the next 2 years as well. He was money in New York, he opens up so much for us on offense because he’s a threat to hit from anywhere. It opens up the paint for Tyler. Even if he’s not scoring 10–15 a game, he’s making a difference. Plus the dude is all heart. He is a winner. Iowa hasn’t had very many guys like Garza the last 20 years.

This aged well. :)

Nike, not picking on you, but this just shows you how much can change in just over one year's time. Thanks goodness for Joe. :)
Well we lost Moss, Dailey, and Jbo shut it down. Prior to Jbo shutting it down Joe T was playing like 14 minutes a game, and that’s with Jbo not near 100%. Nunge got hurt pushing Cmac to the 4 as well.

I’m certainly happy with have Joe T and I also don’t think my comment was a knock on him either. All about context.

Well we lost Moss, Dailey, and Jbo shut it down. Prior to Jbo shutting it down Joe T was playing like 14 minutes a game, and that’s with Jbo not near 100%. Nunge got hurt pushing Cmac to the 4 as well.

I’m certainly happy with have Joe T and I also don’t think my comment was a knock on him either. All about context.

No, not a knock (it's all good). My comment was just how much can change in one year's time. 4 year starter (JBO - hurt), Moss - gone, Dailey - gone, CJF - hurt in the game. Crazy how that happens. That's all. :)

Even at the beginning of the year, with a healthy JBo, CJF, and Cmac, folks wondered how much playing time Joe T gets. Now, the team will depend on him a lot the rest of this year.

If all the players (minus this years seniors) return along with Bo next season next season we should see Fran’s best team as an Iowa coach.

This should bode extremely well with JT getting so much valuable experience this year. There will be heavy expectations on Fran that’s for sure.
We would have an experienced seven or eight man rotation and none of the incoming freshmen would be asked to fill any major roles. In fact it's likely that two or three of them redshirt if this scenario plays out. Hopefully Patrick returns as well.

You read way to much into my original comment, it was a wish. Again I doubt he will ever be a decent 3 point shooter. I never said he couldn’t be a decent PG without the 3 ball.

Burlington now. Graduated from Danville.

I played up until my Sophmore year in HS Than drinking and other stuff became more fun. :):) I graduated Burlington High School in 88. In 87 BHS won State title. I never sniffed the court with the talent Burlington had at that time.

I moved away after HS joined Marines and moved back to Burlington in 94 With my wife and our 1 child at the time, relocated for job in 2005 to Owatonna, Mn.

Last edited: