Jeremy Morgan

Herby, who is going to score and rebound next season? What impact are two more tall, skinny guys going to have down low as freshman? Who is capable of hitting shots from the perimeter? A scoring 3 or a 6"7 dude with some bulk is needed. In case you haven't noticed, we aren't very good defensively or on the boards. I am not banking on Woodbury and Meyer being big time contributors next season and would be fine if Meyer or Olaseni got red shirted if we bring in a juco Cy Tate.

If you don't think two top 100 players are going to help next year then you are crazy. - herby

Herby, who is going to score and rebound next season? What impact are two more tall, skinny guys going to have down low as freshman? Who is capable of hitting shots from the perimeter? A scoring 3 or a 6"7 dude with some bulk is needed. In case you haven't noticed, we aren't very good defensively or on the boards. I am not banking on Woodbury and Meyer being big time contributors next season and would be fine if Meyer or Olaseni got red shirted if we bring in a juco Cy Tate.

lets see we have the following players coming back,
Marble will more than likely play the 3 returns as the leading scorer at 11 ppg
White will be the 4 according to Fra, returns as the 2nd leading scorer at 10.4 ppg
Oglesby will be the 2 and returns as the 4th leading scorer at 6.7 ppg

that will make a solid core to build around.
I expect a top 100 player in PG Gesell to come in and replace Cartwright's spot and 5.8 ppg
2 rpg, 4.4 apg, 0.8 spg, and keep the t/opg at 2.5 or less, not to mention Cartwright was 7th in scoring on the team
to say Woodbury is skinny at 245 and 7'1 is out there in lala land, and to expect a 7 ppg, 7 rpg stat line is not that far fetched, escpecially with another top 100 player and NBA MVP where he competed against the top talent in the country and a few one and done players to earn that award. Leonard of Illinois came in as a 7'1 225 lb fr, and now is up to 7'1 245 lbs SO.
that leaves Basabe at 7.7 ppg and the 4th leading scorer,
McCabe at 7.4 ppg and the 5th leading scorer,
and May at 4.5 ppg and the 8th leading scorers
as the 1st 3 off the bench
that leaves Clemmon, Ingram, Meyer and Olaseni as the 9th thru 12 men of the bench.
not sure who you expect to get who is better than the 3 starters in the middle and better than a pair of top 100 players
so please enlighten me as to who this player is?
the only player with a 2012 offer is Wilson the 6'5 kid out of NC by way of Flint,
MI. and by the last report i heard he is down to Memphis and Marquette, nobody else as a offer, Fran has said they are looking, but that is not a absolute guarentee they will fill that last scholarship,
it appears the feel of the need to fill that last scholly is in the minds of posters on here

Last edited:
Good decision. You can't fix stupid.

maybe you can form your own stupid club.
now i ask who do you feel Fran can get to take the place of one of those 12 players. that can make this a better team?
and of those 12 players who is not good enough to play in any way that will help this team be better.
oh wait you guys can't name anybody, all you can do is call names and spout off nonsense, about "OMG" we just have to have 13 players to be successfull or with it being Fran's 3rd year he will be gone, because Lick only got three years.
Fran is building this team for the long haul not a 3year quick fix
I am perfectly happy with the job he is doing and expect him to be here til he retires.
so if anybody can tell me who of those 12 can't get minutes to make room for this superstud. i'd would really like to know.

lets see we have the following players coming back,
Marble will more than likely play the 3 returns as the leading scorer at 11 ppg
White will be the 4 according to Fra, returns as the 2nd leading scorer at 10.4 ppg
Oglesby will be the 2 and returns as the 4th leading scorer at 6.7 ppg

that will make a solid core to build around.
I expect a top 100 player in PG Gesell to come in and replace Cartwright's spot and 5.8 ppg
2 rpg, 4.4 apg, 0.8 spg, and keep the t/opg at 2.5 or less, not to mention Cartwright was 7th in scoring on the team
to say Woodbury is skinny at 245 and 7'1 is out there in lala land, and to expect a 7 ppg, 7 rpg stat line is not that far fetched, escpecially with another top 100 player and NBA MVP where he competed against the top talent in the country and a few one and done players to earn that award. Leonard of Illinois came in as a 7'1 225 lb fr, and now is up to 7'1 245 lbs SO.
that leaves Basabe at 7.7 ppg and the 4th leading scorer,
McCabe at 7.4 ppg and the 5th leading scorer,
and May at 4.5 ppg and the 8th leading scorers
as the 1st 3 off the bench
that leaves Clemmon, Ingram, Meyer and Olaseni as the 9th thru 12 men of the bench.
not sure who you expect to get who is better than the 3 starters in the middle and better than a pair of top 100 players
so please enlighten me as to who this player is?
the only player with a 2012 offer is Wilson the 6'5 kid out of NC by way of Flint,
MI. and by the last report i heard he is down to Memphis and Marquette, nobody else as a offer, Fran has said they are looking, but that is not a absolute guarentee they will fill that last scholarship,
it appears the feel of the need to fill that last scholly is in the minds of posters on here

Meyers Leonard was a consensus top-40 recruit, and he averaged 8 minutes, 2 points, and 1 rebound as a freshman. Woodbury may well do the same-- it's just how big men are.

Yes, Marble, White, and Oglesby are solid. That's your core.

McCabe has not shown the ability to stay on the court consistently.

Basabe is a wild card.

Eric May showed us nothing this year and appears to have a chronic situation with his back.

Olaseni showed nothing.

Gessell, Meyer, Ingram and Clemmons have never played a college game.

I like our team next year, I really do. But to pretend it's some sort of juggernaut in which a legitimately good player would have no chance to crack the rotation-- that's just silly. And that's why Fran is looking for players. He won't sign someone just to sign someone, but he's also not going to pass on a guy if he thinks he has a chance to help. And the guy isn't going to have to be a "superstud" to help a team that won 17 games and is losing their best player plus their starting point guard.

now i ask who do you feel Fran can get to take the place of one of those 12 players. that can make this a better team?
and of those 12 players who is not good enough to play in any way that will help this team be better.

2012 - 2013 Roster

PG- Gesell, Clemmons
SG- Oglesby, Ingram
SF- Marble, May
PF- White, Basabe, McCabe, Meyer
C- Woodbury, Olaseni

Well, I would think you could recruit over Eric May at this point. So if an unsigned top 25 kid wanted to come to Iowa as a SG/SF you would tell they to go away because we have Such great talent in May, Oglesby, and Ingram there already?

What are you talking about. Of course there are players out there who are better than what we have. Are you being serious?

This team isn't that good. It's not a Final Four team so trust me there are players out there who are better than anyone we will have on our roster.

Roy needs to be banned from the state of Iowa.

Why on earth do we all keep treating him like royalty when he comes here then? Hawk and Clone fans can all unite on this one, we need to make his visits here miserable!!!! Next time he's in your gym or at the Well watching a player "accidentally" spill your coke on him or something. Let the air out of his rental tires... anything!!! ;)

oh wait you guys can't name anybody, all you can do is call names and spout off nonsense, about "OMG" we just have to have 13 players to be successfull or with it being Fran's 3rd year he will be gone, because Lick only got three years.
Fran is building this team for the long haul not a 3year quick fix
I am perfectly happy with the job he is doing and expect him to be here til he retires.
so if anybody can tell me who of those 12 can't get minutes to make room for this superstud. i'd would really like to know.

41qmjK8J-JL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

Book written by: herbyhawk

2012 - 2013 Roster

PG- Gesell, Clemmons
SG- Oglesby, Ingram
SF- Marble, May
PF- White, Basabe, McCabe, Meyer
C- Woodbury, Olaseni

Well, I would think you could recruit over Eric May at this point. So if an unsigned top 25 kid wanted to come to Iowa as a SG/SF you would tell they to go away because we have Such great talent in May, Oglesby, and Ingram there already?

What are you talking about. Of course there are players out there who are better than what we have. Are you being serious?

This team isn't that good. It's not a Final Four team so trust me there are players out there who are better than anyone we will have on our roster.

who is this top 25 player is that Fran is in on, and even with that top 25 talent will Iowa be a final 4 team, in 2-3 years they will be with getting better players each year and proper coaching of the players we have.
as for May he will be a senior, and nobody but nobody can say or predict how his senior year will play out
and Fran already has the interest of 2013 top 50 recruit 6'6 Semi Ojeleye out of Kansas, and we still have a year to see how Morgan developes to replace May.
and you just showed how solid the 2 deeps are without a 13th player.
again stop spewing nonsense about a mythical player that will suddenly pop up, and come up with his name, and have some faith in Fran's ability to use the players he recruited and have them win.

herby, take your argument up with Fran. He is the one that is looking at using another scholarship not us. Like I have told you over and over along with others, if Fran wants to grab another player to help them win next season he will.

and who has he offered other than the player i mentioned, i am being ridiculed by those that keep saying he needs to sign another player,
and why can't a top 100 plater be able to come in and start, like Gesell, Cartwright was not the starting PG for Iowa. Marble was the starting pg, and will move to a position that benefits the team more, you claim that Fran can or should find a player to play major minutes. and your arguement does not hold water as this 13th player will not have played either. my question is this, If Gesell as a top 100 player, can't come in and be a starter how is Fran going to be able to find a better player, that can start?
please give me a name of such a player that has a offer.

and who has he offered other than the player i mentioned, i am being ridiculed by those that keep saying he needs to sign another player,

and why can't a top 100 plater be able to come in and start, like Gesell,
- he can, and most people here hope he will

Cartwright was not the starting PG for Iowa. Marble was the starting pg, and will move to a position that benefits the team more,

you claim that Fran can or should find a player to play major minutes.
- Fran said he is still looking for another wing, take it from the horse's mouth

and your arguement does not hold water as this 13th player will not have played either.
my question is this, If Gesell as a top 100 player, can't come in and be a starter how is Fran going to be able to find a better player, that can start?
please give me a name of such a player that has a offer.

Please just stop, you're not even reading what most people are saying, you're just blindly defending what you think is right. Well guess what, most are sick of your schpeel. Just shut up.

Who is saying that he NEEDS to sign another player? I certainly am not, I keep saying to trust what Fran is doing and I don't blame him if he is looking to add another player. If he is offering Spearman he will be a Junior PG, it would be kinda nice not to have to start a true freshman. But if he doesn't I am fine with Gesell, Clemmons, or whoever Fran appoints as the starter.

iowa doesnt need to upgrade the wing but if fran thinks he can with a recruit (juco or hs senior) do it. for reference herby the 2 and 3 are wings. if he can find someone else to be a shooter and slasher we need help (preferably 6'4-6'6 range). right now we have 4 wings that will be on the roster next yr (gesell is a true or pure point that played 2 when with paige...he isnt a natural 2 and would struggle against true 2s like marble struggled with good pg). of the 4 wings 1) marble - solid but needs to get more consistent shooting the 3, 2) ogelsby - good shooter would like to see a little more muscle for defense, 3) may - erratic and unknown with the injuries, 4) ingram - good build but only 6'2 and tapes dont show whether he can shoot. we need someone to help on the wings or they could be exposed a little next yr. i wont rule out gesell playing a little time on the wing but i see him and clemmons really splitting about 20/20 for minutes at pg and that is hard for some pg.

could we be ok by banking the scholly? yes. if we can make the team better on the wing next yr do i think we should use it now? yes. college coaching is a fickle beast and fran knows this. he isnt going to bank the scholly and have it cost him his job. will it cost him his job to bank it? probably not because we should win more games next yr. but if we can upgrade and he feels that upgrade pretty much guarantees an ncaa berth next yr he should do it. right now as the team will be constructed i think we will be a bubble team. not a lock next yr. why not go for the lock.

so i take it nobody on the current roster can or will improve?
Gesell will be a stater and a major upgrade over Cartwright, and Gesell was a 2 guard his fresh and soph year in HS, he didn't score 2000+ pts in 2 years by being a pgpersonally i expect Oglesby to improve to be a solid 2gd, and Marble and White to improve as well,
as for the other freshmen i expect them to come and contribute in patches, with one of them taking a RS to develope. as for Olaseni i expect him to surprise the Doubters.
Basabe has this summer and fall to get his act together, he clearly came in overweight and out of shape, i expect this to be a point of Frans to get him motivated,
McCabe improved but he committs to many dumb fouls this too can be fixed, the players as a team are far better than some of you want to give them credit for.
i believe that as is Fran will have thjem in the dance and be a 1 win and then out next year. now i don't see many showing that out there in support of Fran.
most of what see is people clamoring for a 13th player to guantee success. i see the success already being there with the player he has, and i see Fran saying all the right things to ease the fans fears in saying they are looking at p[layers,
my god what do you expect him to say, H@LL no i am done recruiting this seaon. of course he says he is looking. do you really feel Fran is that stupid.

[ie wewll ifi youthink e9! ]derp h@lla my done right Fran, of naturally you say &nbsp got it, not stupid.

nope, herby you are making arguments that do not exist. Nobody is saying they won't improve, nobody is saying they HAVE to take another player, and nobody will be upset if Fran banks the scholarship.

Herby, everyone is just saying if he signs another kid in this class they are ok with it. You seem to think that he shouldn't, and won't even entertain the option of signing another kid to this years class. I wonder what will you do if Fran does sign another kid, will you throw him under the bus if he does? I am fine either way, as I trust Fran, and that means if he bring another kid in, and I trust him if he stands pat.

oh is that so, you mean nobody is saying Fran needs to sign another player while the Iron his hot as he needs to win "now"?
gee then i must have just imagined those posts