Jeremy Morgan

the thing that i find interesting this comment about striking while the iron is hot. makes me wonder if those people have very little faith in the returning players or the 5 we have coming in, Iowa loses 4 players to graduation and have 5 coming in, that will give Fran 12 players to work with. Oglesby can play on the wing if Ingram shows he can handle the 2, Gesell was a 2 while playing with Paige on the AAU circuit, Clemmons is a pure pg so it would not suprise me to see Clemmons and Gesell on the court at the same time.
May not being healthy is a unknown for next year, and if he is the team did just fine without him playing major minutes.
saving it for a player like Morgan makes more sense.
the arguement he has no offers is irrelevent, as it was reported that Roy Williams was in the Well scouting him,
if i recall right White had very few offers and he is turning out to be quite the find.
Meyer from Georgia same thing very little interest and by his videos looks to be very good, Clemmons did not have a lot of top tier offers and looks to be a good one, #1 pg in Michigan and 3rd best overall in the state, and Michigan produces talent so i doubt some kid rated in the top 5 instate is a bad player.
if you want to strike while the iron is hot offer Mogan and push hard for Agua who is reportedly growing and many expect him to be 6'10 240 lbs or more coming into college.
one last note on Murphy there arte those that say Murphy will the #1 player in the state of Iowa next year, and if Wiscy and Roy Toy are sniffing around this kid, Isure as h@ll am tired of those 2 stealing Iowa kids

Who the **** is Murphy?

Herby, you need to give it a rest. Fran knows what he is doing with the scholarships. He needs to win next year and to be able to play his style of basketball he needs as much talent as he can get. If Morgan is all that I am sure Fran will figure out a way to make him a Hawk. With Iowa making the NIT this year it raises the bar for next season. Next year we won't accept losing to Campbell or Nebraska, win the games you are supposed to along with a few surprises. Fran signed a 5 year contract, next season is year 3. Lick lasted 3 years in his 5 year deal, Iowa needs to win next season.

I don't think anyone said "strike while the iron is hot". Do you even know what that means? Iowa's Iron is luke warm at best.

What was said was strike now, meaning don't bank the scholarship for 2013 and put together the best possible team for next season.

Herby, you need to give it a rest. Fran knows what he is doing with the scholarships. He needs to win next year and to be able to play his style of basketball he needs as much talent as he can get. If Morgan is all that I am sure Fran will figure out a way to make him a Hawk. With Iowa making the NIT this year it raises the bar for next season. Next year we won't accept losing to Campbell or Nebraska, win the games you are supposed to along with a few surprises. Fran signed a 5 year contract, next season is year 3. Lick lasted 3 years in his 5 year deal, Iowa needs to win next season.

so you have no faith he can win with the players coming in or the kids coming back?

so you have no faith he can win with the players coming in or the kids coming back?

I don't know where you get that from. But I have faith in Fran, it is his butt on the line. You know why players like Stokes and Stubbs made it to the court a few games? It is because Fran does not have the depth to run the ball like he wants. Fran runs an uptempo up and down the court type of game and he needs to be able to go 10-12 deep rotation. We don't know if all 5 of these recruits even make to the court and you can never predict injuries. For him to pass up on a guy that might help him win a game or 2 next year just to bank a scholarship is ridicules. Tom Davis's final year was a 11, sometimes 12, man rotation. This year there were games Fran only had 7 when May & BC were hurt. He cannot effectively run his system like that.

If I am Fran I do not even care about 2014 because if I don't win in 2013 it may be over. That might be a little harsh but it is the approach I would take if I were him.

Last edited:
by saying we need another player is foolish and defenitly reak of having no faith in Fran to win with the players he has and will have. a 13th player at this time does not do it. you are also implying that a pair of top 100 players cannot improve this team.
Fran is not going anywhere except maybe to get a pillow to seperate his butt from the icecube he is sitting on,
Fran has taken a team from the bottom to a tourney berth that Iowa has not seen in 6 years, took this team to a .500 season at worst and a win in the BTT, I doubt he is worried about winning to save his job, if he worried about anything it is how to fit the pieces of the new player into the mix with the returning players.
I have more faith in Fran's ability to win with the players he has, and i have faith in him in making this team solid for the years ahead not for a the quick fix.
if you want a team for the quick fix go follow the Warden of ISU

So now I am the one with no faith in Fran?

<insert ghost facepalm pic here>

I just can't argue this! I just...I just.....OMFG!!!!!!!!

/runs off to call for backup

This notion that every under the radar recruit is going to be Aaron White is wrong.
And assuming that a few highlights on video will immediately translate to college stardom is dangerous. I like our incoming class,but I am not expecting Ingram to be able to take over a wing position as a frosh. He might contribute off the bench,but if he has no outside game as it appears that really limits his contribution.

Fran knows what he has coming in,and if he is pursuing another wing, I am assuming he concludes that we are still weak on the wing for next year.

Fran also knows that program momentum can be fleeting and elusive, so he needs to capitalize on whatever momentum we have created this year,by making a serious run at the Dance next year. Do it,Fran!!

So now I am the one with no faith in Fran?

<insert ghost facepalm pic here>

I just can't argue this! I just...I just.....OMFG!!!!!!!!

/runs off to call for backup

so why are you saying Fran needs a 13th player to win now, and just who is this miracle player that is going to give this team more wins to save Fran's job, that he is suddenly in danger of losing?

Herby, process this. Fran is pursuing another wing! That means he thinks we need help out there next year. Don't you have faith in Fran's judgement of bb talent? Have a little faith in Fran, he is doing a solid job at Iowa. Don't throw him under the bus...he knows what he is doing!

so why are you saying Fran needs a 13th player to win now, and just who is this miracle player that is going to give this team more wins to save Fran's job, that he is suddenly in danger of losing?

I think I would rather shoot myself in the head than attempt to argue with you. I love life and my kids need a father so I think I will just exit stage right and let someone else handle this.

Just because he fills the last scholly does not mean that player will be 13th in the rotation you twit.

And the only person on this board that is afraid of Fran leaving Iowa is you, as you have him forecasted to take the Illini job.

by saying we need another player is foolish and defenitly reak of having no faith in Fran to win with the players he has and will have. a 13th player at this time does not do it. you are also implying that a pair of top 100 players cannot improve this team.
Fran is not going anywhere except maybe to get a pillow to seperate his butt from the icecube he is sitting on,
Fran has taken a team from the bottom to a tourney berth that Iowa has not seen in 6 years, took this team to a .500 season at worst and a win in the BTT, I doubt he is worried about winning to save his job, if he worried about anything it is how to fit the pieces of the new player into the mix with the returning players.
I have more faith in Fran's ability to win with the players he has, and i have faith in him in making this team solid for the years ahead not for a the quick fix.
if you want a team for the quick fix go follow the Warden of ISU
From Fran's March 6 press conference (linked here as well):

Q. At this point in time, what are the chances of you signing a player here in the late period?
COACH McCAFFERY: Decent. Yeah, we’re still looking at some guys. We haven’t gone out on the road much. Certainly I haven’t been in recent weeks. My assistants have been out. We only have a handful of days left of the 130, so there are some guys we’re looking at.

Q. Perimeter guys?
COACH McCAFFERY: Pretty much on the wing.

Q. Looking at high school seniors and JUCO’s?
COACH McCAFFERY: Both.

Transcript: Fran McCaffery press conference (March 6) | Hawk Central

Herby, who is going to score and rebound next season? What impact are two more tall, skinny guys going to have down low as freshman? Who is capable of hitting shots from the perimeter? A scoring 3 or a 6"7 dude with some bulk is needed. In case you haven't noticed, we aren't very good defensively or on the boards. I am not banking on Woodbury and Meyer being big time contributors next season and would be fine if Meyer or Olaseni got red shirted if we bring in a juco Cy Tate.