Jay Scheel

MeatMan

so, how do we use him? he said he's coming in as a QB. do we change the system a bit to take advantage of his athleticism? or do the coaches do the Derby treatment and let him try, all the while knowing they want him at a different position?

i guess i'm just a little cynical of our coaching staff actually using a really skilled player like this as a QB.

He's the right kind of QB for the GD system. They told him he could choose between QB and WR. If he chooses QB, I hope he does, I think he can be a good one.

He's the right kind of QB for the GD system. They told him he could choose between QB and WR. If he chooses QB, I hope he does, I think he can be a good one.

Maybe reminds GD, while he was at TX, of Vince Young? And will now use that NC offense?

If the hawks could get him and Dimonic McKinzy (another double threat QB) and have one of them move to WR, that would be fantastic.

However, I have been of the opinion since I first heard of Scheel that he needs to be given every chance possible to exceed at QB.

If the hawks could get him and Dimonic McKinzy (another double threat QB) and have one of them move to WR, that would be fantastic.

However, I have been of the opinion since I first heard of Scheel that he needs to be given every chance possible to exceed at QB.

Wasn't the same said of Derby?

Wasn't the same said of Derby?

I think Scheel is more optimistic about being a QB and I think he works better in GD's system than Derby woudl have in KOK's. Also, I think Scheel knows he could easily be a WR. I'm not sure that they would force him to move anyway. Be interesting to see how it plays out.

KURT IS BACK!! WE'RE BACK, BOYS! THIS KID IS A FIVE-STAR DIFFERENCE MAKER AND WE ARE BACK BECAUSE OF HIM!!
Rose Bowl, here we come.

so, how do we use him? he said he's coming in as a QB. do we change the system a bit to take advantage of his athleticism? or do the coaches do the Derby treatment and let him try, all the while knowing they want him at a different position?

i guess i'm just a little cynical of our coaching staff actually using a really skilled player like this as a QB.

Iowa continues to recruit dual threat QB's. They have done so nearly every year, just haven't landed one. As for the 'Derby Treatment', Iowa has at least let the kids give QB a chance, believing that the kid is going to arrive at the same conclusion after getting there and seeing the difference between him and the other QB's based on what they want to do, system wise. I guarantee that if they had someone who could throw the way they wanted to and can also run, they would use him. Derby's accuracy and throwing abilities were always the big question, and his year at Coffeyville confirms that. He completed less than 50% of his passes.

Oh by the way, he had 51 'rushing attempts' for 93 yards, despite being sacked just six times. So he wasn't a running QB at Coffeyville, he led with the arm which was always the question mark.

Please lord let us have a dual threat QB. Please oh please.

Iowa has had many "dual-threat" QBs over the years according to Rivals.com, it isn't "let us have", it is please KF allow GD to use a dual-threat and allow him to run not sit in the pocket and get sacked.

This kid reminds me of Seneca Wallace. Has speed, moves. I saw a clip of him making a run that was similar to Wallace's run against Texas Tech...hate 'em, sure...but that was a great play.

"The Run" Iowa State vs. Texas Tech - YouTube

Who wouldn't want a talent like that at QB?

I'm laughing at myself. I click on that video (without reading very closely) thinking it was the recruit. I though, damn he looks pretty quick !

...oh that IS seneca wallace.

Iowa continues to recruit dual threat QB's. They have done so nearly every year, just haven't landed one. As for the 'Derby Treatment', Iowa has at least let the kids give QB a chance, believing that the kid is going to arrive at the same conclusion after getting there and seeing the difference between him and the other QB's based on what they want to do, system wise. I guarantee that if they had someone who could throw the way they wanted to and can also run, they would use him. Derby's accuracy and throwing abilities were always the big question, and his year at Coffeyville confirms that. He completed less than 50% of his passes.

Oh by the way, he had 51 'rushing attempts' for 93 yards, despite being sacked just six times. So he wasn't a running QB at Coffeyville, he led with the arm which was always the question mark.

Sounds like he was lacking in self awareness - an attirbute of immaturity.

Either "excel" or "succeed".

Latest posts