Jay Scheel

I don't HATE them, MeatMan, I don't make questionable remarks about race like my boy HawkeyeMHA. I just think that they are given their shot in the "camps", if they are really worth it, then they will get their offer and come play.

But thinking that because a couple guys over the span of the last 30 years played well doesn't mean anyone can do it. Those guys were special in their own way, Johnny football still is but he may get hurt or decline from here on out who knows. Drew Tate got worse as a QB during his time at Iowa and he never had a real NFL career.

Anyone who wants to play at Iowa I am all for it. But if the staff feels a kid is worth a scholarship over another I don't have any control over it so I trust they are doing what is best for the program.

I disagree with this completely. I think he actually got better but the talent around him was not as good as his first year. Also, they went from slinging it around back to the traditional Iowa game which distorts Tate's stats and probably makes him look like he digressed, but he didn't.

Drew Tate Stats - ESPN

Look there for Tate's stats. Pretty similar all 3 years honestly. Just pair those stats with the talent around him. PLus remember in 2006 that he didn't play in all the games and played injured all year long.

I disagree with this completely. I think he actually got better but the talent around him was not as good as his first year. Also, they went from slinging it around back to the traditional Iowa game which distorts Tate's stats and probably makes him look like he digressed, but he didn't.

Drew Tate Stats - ESPN

Look there for Tate's stats. Pretty similar all 3 years honestly. Just pair those stats with the talent around him. PLus remember in 2006 that he didn't play in all the games and played injured all year long.

I look at what happened on the field instead of stats. He didn't appear to be the same player his SR year than he did his SO year. Maybe that was on KOK and KF for trying to get him to be a pocket passer but he didn't look like the Drew who blew us away his SO year.

Two out of the probably thousands that never make it past HS to play in college. Oh don't forget to get back to 1984 and Doug Flutie.

Seriously, two small mobile white guys, which only 1 of whom you listed had an actual NFL career.

Sure, COULD they, yes, but most likely not.

You have to look at the odds and use real logic, not fairy tale dreams.

same could be said about any kind of player at any given position. some make it, some don't. just because he's a small kid doesn't mean he CAN'T do it. so stop ragging on him before he even signs on the dotted line

same could be said about any kind of player at any given position. some make it, some don't. just because he's a small kid doesn't mean he CAN'T do it. so stop ragging on him before he even signs on the dotted line

I am not ragging on anyone, don't get your panties in a bunch. I didn't say jack squat about a "he" whoever "he" is, whammer.

But seriously, there is little logic in saying look at what Drew B. did at Purdue and the NFL and what Johnny Football did this year can happen just because a kid looks decent in HS, VERY LITTLE LOGIC.

Yes, it can be said for any player but there is a reason that recruiters, coaches and scouts look for certain things, the odds of working out in the end are better.

I look at what happened on the field instead of stats. He didn't appear to be the same player his SR year than he did his SO year. Maybe that was on KOK and KF for trying to get him to be a pocket passer but he didn't look like the Drew who blew us away his SO year.

Dude he was hurt his entire senior year. He had broken ribs or something. JC even started a game in place of him, so yeah it makes sense that he didn't play as well. Also, as I said before the talent around him decreased each year.

I am not ragging on anyone, don't get your panties in a bunch. I didn't say jack squat about a "he" whoever "he" is, whammer.

But seriously, there is little logic in saying look at what Drew B. did at Purdue and the NFL and what Johnny Football did this year can happen just because a kid looks decent in HS, VERY LITTLE LOGIC.

Yes, it can be said for any player but there is a reason that recruiters, coaches and scouts look for certain things, the odds of working out in the end are better

this seems like a contradiction to me. everything you say in your last sentence happened for the kid and he earned a 4* rating and a scholarship offer which he accepted.

look, i don't think anyone is expecting the next manziel or brees...but its fair to be excited about the possibility of another mobile qb running wild and throwing at will in kinnick stadium.

this seems like a contradiction to me. everything you say in your last sentence happened for the kid and he earned a 4* rating and a scholarship offer which he accepted.

look, i don't think anyone is expecting the next manziel or brees...but its fair to be excited about the possibility of another mobile qb running wild and throwing at will in kinnick stadium.

The conversation was that any short, white, mobile QB could be as good as Brees or Manziel, I mean sure why not? But the odds of it happening are extremely less likely to happen than a guy 3-6 inches taller, that is a FACT. If it wasn't then all these short, white, mobile white kids would be filling up BCS conference teams QB starting jobs, but they aren't.

I like Jay Scheel, but he isn't white, which was the point. The whole thing was a misunderstanding that HawkeyeMHA thought he was white.

I get it, some people don't like saying that just because he is short and white, he can't be good. I am not saying they can't, what I am saying is thinking IT WILL HAPPEN just because of TWO OTHER GUYS in the past decade or two did it, doesn't make sense.

Dude he was hurt his entire senior year. He had broken ribs or something. JC even started a game in place of him, so yeah it makes sense that he didn't play as well. Also, as I said before the talent around him decreased each year.

True, but the point was he didn't play well for whatever reason, talent around him or injuries. Either way he didn't play well, not saying he didn't have those issues.

True, but the point was he didn't play well for whatever reason, talent around him or injuries. Either way he didn't play well, not saying he didn't have those issues.

You said he got worse as a quarter back, or regressed. That is very different to not performing well. He became a better QB, but it doesn't much matter if you have nobody to throw it to, or if you are hurt all the time, you may have developed, but just can't physically do it. To me that is a very big difference.

You said he got worse as a quarter back, or regressed. That is very different to not performing well. He became a better QB, but it doesn't much matter if you have nobody to throw it to, or if you are hurt all the time, you may have developed, but just can't physically do it. To me that is a very big difference.

That is what it looked like on the field, HF. Maybe there was deeper issues out of his hands but on the field he looked like he regressed. Vandy looked like he regressed and he lost McNutt and Coker and arguably better pass blockers on the o-line plus learned a new offense. Yet everyone destroys Vandy and praises Tate, I don't think so.

That is what it looked like on the field, HF. Maybe there was deeper issues out of his hands but on the field he looked like he regressed. Vandy looked like he regressed and he lost McNutt and Coker and arguably better pass blockers on the o-line plus learned a new offense. Yet everyone destroys Vandy and praises Tate, I don't think so.

If you think the decrease in production from Tate is comparable to JVB last year, you sir are either crazy or stupid. Tate never looked as bad as JVB, period and it is not even up for discussion.

If you think the decrease in production from Tate is comparable to JVB last year, you sir are either crazy or stupid. Tate never looked as bad as JVB, period and it is not even up for discussion.

Agreed, Tate didn't look that bad but in my opinion Vandy in '12 had more to overcome than Tate did in '06.

So Tate gets a pass because of his injury? I don't recall most fans feeling that way back in '06 and after the season.

He's the right kind of QB for the GD system. They told him he could choose between QB and WR. If he chooses QB, I hope he does, I think he can be a good one.

Rap on the kid is he a little undersized. That could certainly change by the time he completes his senior season and gets to Iowa City.

Iowa football lands another 2014 in-state recruit | Hawk Central

It’s not certain what position the 6-foot-1, 170-pound Scheel will play at Iowa, although quarterback will be an option. Scheel is also being recruited as a receiver by some colleges.

Veteran recruiting analyst Tom Lemming was in Iowa City Sunday to interview the juniors who attended the junior day event. Lemming spoke highly of Scheel as an athlete. Lemming said he also was present when Scheel committed to Ferentz Sunday morning.

“I think he’s one of the better athletes around,†Lemming said of Scheel. “He’s very elusive and he’s got a decent arm. He’s a very good all-around athlete.

“He’s the kind of quarterback that they’re looking for these days. But he’s not real big.â€

Story says Iowa also offered Clifton Garrett, a junior linebacker from Plainfield, Ill., who also holds offers from Notre Dame and Ohio State among other schools.

Latest posts