Isaiah Moss

MisterLucky

I listen to a lot of McCaffery's pre and post game comments, but I've never heard anyone ask him why Moss starts and gets playing time in the first halves of games, but mostly sits in the second halves. Has he ever addressed this issue? Is it stamina? Defensive lapses (which Hawk doesn't have those?)? I like Moss and think he will be an effective player for us over the next three years, but I've often wondered about this. Anyone know?

I don't have a answer but agree with Misterlucky, maybe Fran doesn't like his freight train mentality when he drives to the basket.

I think it's primarily because he plays the same position as Baer (although lately Baer has played some 4) and Baer needs to be out there in crunch time in the 2H.

I listen to a lot of McCaffery's pre and post game comments, but I've never heard anyone ask him why Moss starts and gets playing time in the first halves of games, but mostly sits in the second halves. Has he ever addressed this issue? Is it stamina? Defensive lapses (which Hawk doesn't have those?)? I like Moss and think he will be an effective player for us over the next three years, but I've often wondered about this. Anyone know?
I'm curious to know too. My 2 cents worth of a guess is he just doesn't trust him yet down the stretch of games. I'd like to see him get more time he's the most athletic guy they have out there besides Cook. (Who doesn't seem to use his athleticism at the defensive end) Moss can create his own shot off the dribble and knock down free throws. I like how he can be a one man fast break at times too giving JBo a break here and there. So why he wouldn't be given more time at the end of games perplexes me too...

I think it has to do with Baer in more playing time the second half. I noticed Baer has been playing more of the SF position and Jok at the SG. In this format, Moss will be on the bench.

I don't have a answer but agree with Misterlucky, maybe Fran doesn't like his freight train mentality when he drives to the basket.
He does need to do a better job at recognizing when to attack and when to pull up. If he could figure that out and knock down those 15 footers like like Ricky Davis could on the breaks then look out.... To me he's a poor mans Ricky Davis style wise. Not as explosive or polished but games are similar...

Fran doesn't like guards or modern basketball. That's why we're bringing in two 6'11 guys at a position we already have plenty of depth at.

Fran doesn't like guards or modern basketball. That's why we're bringing in two 6'11 guys at a position we already have plenty of depth at.

Plenty of depth? Cook should be playing the 4. We need some size to bang with the bigger boys down low.

I think it's primarily because he plays the same position as Baer (although lately Baer has played some 4) and Baer needs to be out there in crunch time in the 2H.
Think this is part of it- he wants Baer but needs JB and Jok. However, Moss is a primary defensive guard. So you'd think Fran would want him in there at crunch time. It will be interesting to see if any lineup changes affect this rotation.

Plenty of depth? Cook should be playing the 4. We need some size to bang with the bigger boys down low.

Cook, Wagner, Kriener, Pemsl, Uhl, Baer; that's 6 guys to play two positions and next year you can make it 8. What size do you think we have a tough time matching up with? Our guards get beat far more than any of our post players. We're so big heavy now that Wagner plays the 3 sometimes. Wagner, a guy with no touch and a 50% FT handling the ball on the perimeter.
More big guys just creates a log jam that will lead to transfers and we're thin as it is in the back court which is far more valuable than a front court.

I'm very high on Moss. He starts but as the game progresses he's more or less playing the same position as Jok...the way I see it. This is pretty much in line with the Baer comments. Next year I think we will see plenty of Moss in both halves and I have a feeling he will get to take his fair share of Jok's 16 shot attempts per game..

Moss, imo, is absolutely key to the next couple years. He needs to be the next "guy" similar to how Marble was, then Uthoff was, then Jok. At least for next year. He might end up with more pieces around him than any of them had...at least on paper...

I believe Fran has communicated this in some way to him, and the pressure has affected him. Just a guess.

Really need him to have the light come on. He reminds me a ton of Jok 2 years ago, only not quite the same offensive level, but shows more potential on the defensive end.

Moss, imo, is absolutely key to the next couple years. He needs to be the next "guy" similar to how Marble was, then Uthoff was, then Jok. At least for next year. He might end up with more pieces around him than any of them had...at least on paper...

I believe Fran has communicated this in some way to him, and the pressure has affected him. Just a guess.

Really need him to have the light come on. He reminds me a ton of Jok 2 years ago, only not quite the same offensive level, but shows more potential on the defensive end.
Actually I think he's ahead of Jok 2 years ago...overall offensive game. It wasn't until this year that Jok drove to the basket, got to the line, hit the pull up jumper, etc. Moss is very good (especially in transition) at getting to the rim and finishing IMO.

Latest posts