Is Tony Barbee Iowa's new coach?

This is exactly how I feel, and I hope this is the case. I don't think we can really go too wrong with either of them, but from what I've heard I'd prefer Barbee just barely over Forbes. Regardless, they'll be more entertaining to watch than the past few years.

I know this would be almost as unlikely as Pearl coming here, but what if we hire Barbee as head coach and he brings in Forbes as an assistant? Because frankly, I don't know if I see Barbee as a guy who would stay here for the long haul. It could just be a stepping stone for him. However, if we brought in Forbes so that he were here when Barbee bolted, then he would be better prepared to take over his dream job.

I know this would be almost as unlikely as Pearl coming here, but what if we hire Barbee as head coach and he brings in Forbes as an assistant? Because frankly, I don't know if I see Barbee as a guy who would stay here for the long haul. It could just be a stepping stone for him. However, if we brought in Forbes so that he were here when Barbee bolted, then he would be better prepared to take over his dream job.

As you said, I don't think it's likely because Forbes would be taking an already good assistant coaching job, and going to a struggling team as an assistant. Yes, he has ties here, but I don't think that's enough. Maybe if there was an agreement that Barbee would leave soon, and Forbes would step in, but that is VERY VERY unlikely if not impossible. I think Barbee is more likely to turn our program around quickly, but there is a good chance he'd bolt if a better coaching job opens up where with Forbes, there's a much better chance he'd stay home in Iowa. Basically, I think Forbes would take longer to turn our program around, and with the fans the way we are, I don't know if he'd get enough time. I'd be very pleased with either as our next head coach.

As you said, I don't think it's likely because Forbes would be taking an already good assistant coaching job, and going to a struggling team as an assistant. Yes, he has ties here, but I don't think that's enough. Maybe if there was an agreement that Barbee would leave soon, and Forbes would step in, but that is VERY VERY unlikely if not impossible. I think Barbee is more likely to turn our program around quickly, but there is a good chance he'd bolt if a better coaching job opens up where with Forbes, there's a much better chance he'd stay home in Iowa. Basically, I think Forbes would take longer to turn our program around, and with the fans the way we are, I don't know if he'd get enough time. I'd be very pleased with either as our next head coach.

Like I said, I highly doubt this happens. But it would be ideal if we could make it happen. Though I could see Barta maybe setting it the way you said, and have an agreement that Barbee wouldn't be sticking around for all that long. Because I definitely would want Forbes to take the reins at some point, but if he stays at Tennessee, he's going to have the same flaw that he has now: no D1 HC experience, and hasn't been recruiting in the Big Ten.

Am I missing something or is that link lacking in anything more substansive than the message board rumblings we are all so familar with?

Didn't Barbee live off transfers at UTEP? I can remember this year 3 of his starts were transfers from other programs. Which goes to show me that he can't recruit talent, he can only get it when it either gets leaves another program or gets kicked out.

Personally none of these coaches sound good. I think we will be the doormat of basketball for another 3 years.

I would say Hire BJ armstrong, Jess settles, and Keno Davis as a coaching staff! But I know that is wishful thinking,

Didn't Barbee live off transfers at UTEP? I can remember this year 3 of his starts were transfers from other programs. Which goes to show me that he can't recruit talent, he can only get it when it either gets leaves another program or gets kicked out.

Personally none of these coaches sound good. I think we will be the doormat of basketball for another 3 years.

I would say Hire BJ armstrong, Jess settles, and Keno Davis as a coaching staff! But I know that is wishful thinking,

Barbee would be a good hire for Iowa . I feel he would bring a ton of energy to the basketball program. No complaints here if he's the man.

Latest posts