Is Tony Barbee Iowa's new coach?

I think it's down to Barbee and Forbes. Announcement this week Barbee...Next week Forbes.

So has Forbes been interviewed? C'mon now, you might be the only person around here who actually knows something. Give it up, or we will all come to Corning and track you down. ;)

Not true. I only went back the last six years but here are the Conference RPI rankings for the MVC, CUSA and Horizon leagues (in reverse chronological order):

MVC: 9, 8, 6, 4, 6, 7
CUSA: 11, 10, 11, 14, 15, 9
Horizon: 14, 11, 9, 10, 14, 18

The MVC is clearly far better than CUSA and Horizon. The latter two conferences have been fairly similar in RPI rankings. CUSA benefitted from Memphis' run but after that it is a terrible league.

Ummm.....the poster you quoted said that C-USA was better than the MWC, meaning the Moutain West. Not the Valley. The Valley has been the best "mid-major" conference of this decade, at least. The Moutain West on the other hand, boasted just three seeds #8 or higher. UNLV went down in the first round to UNI. New Mexico and BYU (seeded #3 and #7, respectively) were knocked out in the second round. New Mexico looked like a team in a lot of trouble against 14-seed Montana in the first round, and got pounded by Washington in the second. BYU looked respectable against K-State.

And that's about it. The headliners from the MWC did not perform particularly well, and it's best team looked downright awful. C-USA is a better conference.

How come with candidates Barta plans to interview, we haven't seen posts where the school where that coach is from is being asked permission by Iowa to interview them? Just curious

Because usually that means a deal is already done and that details of the contract are being finalized.

It's not that I don't think Barbee will be a really good hire, it's just that I question how much better of a hire he will be than Forbes, who will stop at nothing to make us a proud program again.
Forbes isn't even the lead assistant coach at Tennessee why would he better then a guy like Barbee???

Memphis is in CUSA- when is the last time an MVC team got past the sweet 16- maybe Drake under Maury John or Wichita under Ralph Miller. How many NBA players have come out of CUSA vs. MVC?

this just in my source says the general is set to sell house in texas set to buy a house in iowa city, welcome aboard Bob Knight, dont for get that he was seen last week in iowa city. my source is an iowa reality agent who said that he put an offer on 4524 ne pleasent view drive in iowa city.

loess....and Barbee doesn't have half as much Big 10 experience as Keno, nor any major conference head coaching experience like Keno. Nor has he taken a school to the NCAA tourney for the 1st time in 37 years. Oh yeah, he also doesn't have an assistant coaching staff that has proven they can recruit at the major conference level like Keno does either.

I'd be ok with Barbee. Nice run at UTEP. Young guy should be able to recruit. Remember with all the "You don't realize how bad our job is right now" talk that the new guy gets keys to the kingdom and the kingdom aint to shabby.

Indiana native? NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

I don't think this has been thoroughly fleshed out, but Barbee actually graduated from the same HS Coach Lick did, Indianapolis North Central, albeit many years later.

I live in Indianapolis, and am sending my son to this high school next year. In this neck of the woods, everybody I have talked with has nothing but praise for Barbee... he actually was considered a late bloomer as a ball player, but was heavily recruited (out of Butler's league at the time), and seems to be primed for the Iowa job. I hope the fact that he is from Indy doesn't turn folks against his prospects... he is a guy who got out of the state right out of high school and never looked back. There was a lot of hype about him recently, because UTEP played (and lost) to Butler in the first round last week.

Folks around here believe he is a very, very smart basketball mind, and someone who would challenge for big time recruits immediately in the B10. We'll see, I understand he is on a lot of short lists right now, most notably Auburn.

OK Corbin, I will respect your rules of engagement. But can you tell me why you say Barbee if announced this week, Forbes if announced next?

Is it because Barbee is interviewing for other jobs and will be off the market quickly if Iowa doesn't make a decision to offer (or I suppose he could have been offered and is trying to decide)? Or that they may not be that impressed with Barbee but want to explore all HC alternatives before offering any assistant?

I'm starting to come around to Forbes because Collins doesn't seem to be on the radar, and I do think Forbes knows how to get players, would assemble a very good staff, and if he did succeed, he wouldn't be looking to bolt for somewhere else. The latter is important because I hope I never have to sit through another bball coach search as long as I live.

As an aside, if Forbes is hired and does not succeed, the last person out of CHA might as well turn off the lights, because the freaking party would be over for good...and Barta would be on the soup line.

Last edited:
It's not that I don't think Barbee will be a really good hire, it's just that I question how much better of a hire he will be than Forbes, who will stop at nothing to make us a proud program again.

Whose to say that Barbee (or whoever it ends up being) won't do exactl that? I doubt any coach that comes here wants to lose, or be unsuccessful.

If Barbee is the guy it would be this week because his team is finished and if this who barta wants he will get it done quick. The longer this drags out the better chance it's Forbes.

There still may be a suprise, but from everyone i've talked too and everything i've read...I doubt it.

Forbes will not leave Tennesse until their season is over.

Latest posts