Is this the year we see a Greg Davis offense produce big?

docholihawk

Is this the year we see a more explosive Iowa offense. We've heard the talk since he arrived. I believe we have the talent across the entire offense now. We don't have a ton of starting experience in the receiving corps but we do have a lot of players who've played for awhile and we have some speed in the wide receivers. It also seems like Kirk Ferentz is going to use Canzeri more in the rushing game. What do you think the offense will be like this year?

I believe we will see improvement from last year. Not world changing jump, but improvement. Another 7 points a game would be enormous.

Is this the year we see a more explosive Iowa offense. We've heard the talk since he arrived. I believe we have the talent across the entire offense now. We don't have a ton of starting experience in the receiving corps but we do have a lot of players who've played for awhile and we have some speed in the wide receivers. It also seems like Kirk Ferentz is going to use Canzeri more in the rushing game. What do you think the offense will be like this year?

Not disagreeing, but why do you think Canzeri is going to be used more?

I thought Canzeri got more playing time towards the end of the year. I also believe Weisman has been worn down towards the end of the year. Bullock might get the carries but I would prefer him as more of a receiving back. My own preferance is Daniels. I think he can be better than Coker was for the Hawks. KF seems to prefer the older players so that's why I picked Canzeri. He's also more a change of pace back and I think Greg Davis would prefer that.

I hope to see more Canzeri and hope they simply sit Bullock down. DB has not produced period. Canzeri has. 3 back rotation is better.

The only piece that is missing is a big play WR.

Line should be solid
QB play should be solid
Running game (agree with above, use the 3 and sit Bullock) should be solid.
Possession WR is good with KMM
TEs we have multiple options

Smith, Hillyer, Powell and Willies need to make some big plays. The 3 guys that played last year all had 1-2 big plays but didn't do it consistently enough. Hopefully that will improve along with Jake's improvement.

I'm hesitant to say yes to explosive because it's difficult to compare our traditional pro style offense to some of the really explosive spread teams out there and it doesn't seeem near as explosive.

So I'll say yes it will be explosive... but only in terms of comparing to other hawkeye football teams.

Use what we have, 4 great TE’s. That could really open it up for Tevaun Smith, Willies, etc.

To the OP, we’ve all heard the jokes about GD but I have a hard time getting over the fact that he won a NC in the past decade. His system is awful with no playmakers (2012) or really freaking good with playmakers (2005). I would REALLY like to see what GD could do at Iowa with some speed.

I think the offense will be improved, but not big.

I'd look to next year for the offense producing big. The faster guys (the two RB and the new WR) will be RS SO by that point and really ready to contribute. Rudock a senior, Beatherd a junior.

I think "potential" is there to have a very solid offense. As with any explosive or big time offense in the game it tends to hinge on QB play. If Ruddock can be an all-big ten type performer then yes we can be.

Far as RBs, my preference is Daniels as the main horse, Weisman in short yardage/goal line situations and maybe some fullback and Canzeri as our 3rd down back/ slot guy. I like Weisman but I just think we need someone who can out run the Defense when the OLine opens up a big hole. Weisman always gets caught. Need Big Plays and speed usually = big plays. just my 2 cents, tell me why I'm crazy. :)

There is potential for a much better offense. I agree with most of what everyone has said above. The development of a big play receiver would do wonders for the running game and offense as a whole. Having a big play receiver would allow more space for the TE's to get open as well, as most teams stack the box trying to stop the run which limits the TE's room to work with for their routes. Don't sleep on Matt VandeBerg at the slot. I'm intrigued by his potential there. He surprised me with his fearlessness in limited action last year. He isn't afraid to go over the middle and take a hit.

I thought Canzeri got more playing time towards the end of the year. I also believe Weisman has been worn down towards the end of the year. Bullock might get the carries but I would prefer him as more of a receiving back. My own preferance is Daniels. I think he can be better than Coker was for the Hawks. KF seems to prefer the older players so that's why I picked Canzeri. He's also more a change of pace back and I think Greg Davis would prefer that.

What has Daniels shown you that makes you think he is better than the other 3 at the top of the list?

I think "potential" is there to have a very solid offense. As with any explosive or big time offense in the game it tends to hinge on QB play. If Ruddock can be an all-big ten type performer then yes we can be.

Far as RBs, my preference is Daniels as the main horse, Weisman in short yardage/goal line situations and maybe some fullback and Canzeri as our 3rd down back/ slot guy. I like Weisman but I just think we need someone who can out run the Defense when the OLine opens up a big hole. Weisman always gets caught. Need Big Plays and speed usually = big plays. just my 2 cents, tell me why I'm crazy. :)

I will also ask you, what has LD shown that makes you think he should be the #1?

We averaged 26 ppg last year. I could see this O producing 31-32 ppt this year barring major injuries on the O-line. We have good depth at QB, RB, WR and TE so not so concerned about injuries there.

I will also ask you, what has LD shown that makes you think he should be the #1?

A Valid question. Obviously, I (as well as many others) are going off a hunch, wishful thinking or whatever you want to call it. KF didn't give us the luxury of seeing him much last season. We have heard nothing but good about him though. We do know this, he has a Big Ten Build and speed...a combination the other 2 don't. And we know Weisman can't out run anyone nor juke. And we know Canzeri can out run guys, but probably won't hold up an entire game unless he's put on a lot of lbs to absorb the hits. I think many of us would at least like to see him have the opportunity to be the #1 during the first two weeks. If he doesn't grab it, we know what Weisman is and can adjust if needed.

A Valid question. Obviously, I (as well as many others) are going off a hunch, wishful thinking or whatever you want to call it. KF didn't give us the luxury of seeing him much last season. We have heard nothing but good about him though. We do know this, he has a Big Ten Build and speed...a combination the other 2 don't. And we know Weisman can't out run anyone nor juke. And we know Canzeri can out run guys, but probably won't hold up an entire game unless he's put on a lot of lbs to absorb the hits. I think many of us would at least like to see him have the opportunity to be the #1 during the first two weeks. If he doesn't grab it, we know what Weisman is and can adjust if needed.

Weiman will be #1 though. Daniels will get his chance next year to be a feature back (unless injuries to others speed that up).

Weiman will be #1 though. Daniels will get his chance next year to be a feature back (unless injuries to others speed that up).

You are probably right, KF plays it safe usually. I would just like to see guys with bigger playmaking abilities on the field. I like Weisman, but he is what he is and serves a good purpose for certain situations.

Latest posts