Is this the year we see a Greg Davis offense produce big?

GD wasn't the problem. He produced not only good, but also elite offenses while at Texas. Coaches before and after can't make that claim, and Texas will always have elite talent. Not only did he produce Elite offenses with Vince Young, he had to convince his coach to change to take advantage of that talent. That tells me he is not only doing his job, but he is doing it well. Can you imagine what a waste of an opportunity if Mack doesn't allow Davis to change offenses, and unleash Vince Young????

Mack was the mess, not Davis. Like all fan bases who throw the OC under the bus (Hawk fans with KOK, Texas fans with GD, and ISU fans with Messingham), it is always funny when they actually figure out that the problems don't change when the OC goes....

I didn't say GD was a problem just that he did Ok, not great given the fact he had probably the most talent in the country to work with over the span of a decade and was not highly sought after post Texas, partly due to age.

Clearly Mac Brown, especially his lazy approach to recruiting, was the problem.

All I'm saying is you can't compare teams with the likes of Vince Young, Ricky Williams Colt McCoy ect with UT of the last few years because they clearly did not have any where near elite talent. They lost to ISU in that time.

Davis got to coach some of the most dominant players in the history of college football and last year UT had zero players even drafted. Of course the numbers are going to be very different.

If RG3 and Johnny Manziel would been the UT Qbs like they easily could have been then you could compare..... And Mac Brown would still be the coach, and probably GD too.

The difference in results was far more players than coaching is my point and that's not a knock on GD but on Brown.

I'm not against GD, I think he's Ok and will probably be about the same as KOK given what KF will allow on offense.

Class
Scout.com
Rank
Commits
Top Commit
2315Kent Perkins
128Malcolm Brown
322Steve Edmond
325Jackson Jeffcoat
720Alex Okafor
1620Aaron Williams
325Tray Allen
325Eddie Jones
1314Roy Miller
1021Drew Kelson
1418Tarell Brown
128Vince Young

Im sure that was part of it although position coaches are the ones who do the developing.

It more speaks to the crap shoot that is trying to rank high school football players and the built in bias given to players from certain areas who commit to traditional powers.

Its simply crazy to suggest Texas was any where close to as talented at the end of the Mac Brown era as they were in the mid 2000s. Or you would have to believe that GD is the most valuable coach on the planet.

Watching the scrimmage at Kids day did not help my confidence that we'd see a big change in offensive production. I believe the first two series for both the 1st & 2nd offensive teams were three and out. Count me in the "I'll believe it when I see it" category.

There shouldn't be any excuses this year as it's one of the more talented offenses that we have seen at Iowa in some time. A good combination of all around talent at every position with the possible exception of the place kickers. I expect at least ten wins. Anything less than seven and heads should roll. Even seven is terrible given such a favorable schedule. Speed on the outside, a powerful line, speed and power in the backfield, and an experienced QB. No excuses this year. Just do it Hawkeyes!!!

There shouldn't be any excuses this year as it's one of the more talented offenses that we have seen at Iowa in some time. A good combination of all around talent at every position with the possible exception of the place kickers. I expect at least ten wins. Anything less than seven and heads should roll. Even seven is terrible given such a favorable schedule. Speed on the outside, a powerful line, speed and power in the backfield, and an experienced QB. No excuses this year. Just do it Hawkeyes!!!

Can I get an Amen?! I would only caveat it by saying I don't truly care about how many wins we have, but I expect Iowa to be in the B1G title game.

Is this the year we see a more explosive Iowa offense.nope We've heard the talk since he arrived. I believe we have the talent across the entire offense now Don't think that's true. We don't have a ton of starting experience in the receiving corps but we do have a lot of players who've played for awhile and we have some speed in the wide receivers. they can't get open. It also seems like Kirk Ferentz is going to use Canzeri more in the rushing game. almost but no cigar. What do you think the offense will be like this year?

lets see: check down passes all the time, audibles that are always run plays, no need to put a defender beyond 10 yards of the LoS...........another long year if they don't change some stuff.

Latest posts