Is this the year we see a Greg Davis offense produce big?

I think this year has all the makings of a great offensive year:

1. Dominant O-Line
2. Experienced and capable QB
3. Good stable of running backs
4. Good mix of WR - "possession" types as well as guys that can stretch the field
5. Good mix of TE - blockers as well as speedy types that can run seams and wheels

Keep in mind that we avg'd 26ppg last year while only converting 50% of our redzone opportunities into TDs. We could do everything else the same and just by improving our redzone conversion rate, we could easily add 5-7 ppg to our total.

Health, as it usually is with the Hawks, will be paramount.

Iowa improved by 66.6 yards/game and 7 points/game between Davis' first year and Davis' second year. I don't think we'll see that exact level of improvement again, but I do think Iowa has the capability of putting up 400 yards/game and 30 points/game, which would be an improvement of 23 y/g and 3.7 ppg. If Iowa can hit 30 ppg, it would be just the 5th time in the Ferentz era (2001, 2002, 2005, and 2008).

What has Daniels shown you that makes you think he is better than the other 3 at the top of the list?

Wondering the same thing. I saw nothing last year in Iowa's games to suggest Daniels deserved any playing time, which is why his playing time was eventually reduced and given to Canzeri instead. At least when Beathard played, you could see some potential there to justify him playing, even though Beathard's stats sucked.

they only argument for Daniels is that he was only a freshman last year, so he has got to show improvement this year, right?

I think this year has all the makings of a great offensive year:

1. Dominant O-Line
2. Experienced and capable QB
3. Good stable of running backs
4. Good mix of WR - "possession" types as well as guys that can stretch the field
5. Good mix of TE - blockers as well as speedy types that can run seams and wheels

Keep in mind that we avg'd 26ppg last year while only converting 50% of our redzone opportunities into TDs. We could do everything else the same and just by improving our redzone conversion rate, we could easily add 5-7 ppg to our total.

Health, as it usually is with the Hawks, will be paramount.

Great point, settled for FGs way too much last year. Having playmakers (speed) on the field will turn more into TDs though, which has been part of my points above.

Wondering the same thing. I saw nothing last year in Iowa's games to suggest Daniels deserved any playing time, which is why his playing time was eventually reduced and given to Canzeri instead. At least when Beathard played, you could see some potential there to justify him playing, even though Beathard's stats sucked.

they only argument for Daniels is that he was only a freshman last year, so he has got to show improvement this year, right?

How can you "see" anything when he's not on the field more than a couple series all year? Its kind of like sending a guy up to bat twice and saying "well he didn't get a hit his two at bats so therefore he can't hit".

i saw a true freshman who understood how to run behind zone biocking, has enough speed and more than avg power. Hell be a good one.

Is this the year we see a more explosive Iowa offense. We've heard the talk since he arrived. I believe we have the talent across the entire offense now. We don't have a ton of starting experience in the receiving corps but we do have a lot of players who've played for awhile and we have some speed in the wide receivers. It also seems like Kirk Ferentz is going to use Canzeri more in the rushing game. What do you think the offense will be like this year?

Not if KF has any say in the matter.

i saw a true freshman who understood how to run behind zone biocking, has enough speed and more than avg power. Hell be a good one.

I agree NC. I don't think Daniels was given enough carries last season. But, when you have a fullback taking most of the RB carries, that's to be expected, apparently.

I prefer the word dominate over explosive when it comes to pro style offenses. I think it's pretty much all on the WRs at this point. We certainly see a lot more depth at the position, but we won't really know how it plays out until game time.

I think it's pretty fun matching up this offense with the 2002 group.

I prefer the word dominate over explosive when it comes to pro style offenses. I think it's pretty much all on the WRs at this point. We certainly see a lot more depth at the position, but we won't really know how it plays out until game time.

I think it's pretty fun matching up this offense with the 2002 group.

NoSoFast.jpg

I hope we can look back and do it though!!!!!!

What has Daniels shown you that makes you think he is better than the other 3 at the top of the list?
I really can't put it into words and my point is not validated by what I'm saying. Daniels just passes the eye test for me. It's not any one thing but the whole package that he showed as a true freshman. I'm guessing most of us on here have had a player we've seen and that player was going to be good. My eye test is far from a good bet but that is all I'm saying. Do you see something that you think will keep him from being a good back or have you not seen enough of him up to this point in order to think he will be good.

I think everyone pretty much agrees that we have the potential to be explosive but it pretty much depends on what kind of deep targets we get this year. That and if the captain lets loose of the reins a little bit.

Usually Iowa's big down field plays are off play action...once the run game is demonstrated a bit. I'm reminded of big plays in bowl games, waggle, hitting the tight end. However we may just see some good old fashioned drop back down field throws caught on the run ...running toward the goal line. wouldn't that be nice.

A Valid question. Obviously, I (as well as many others) are going off a hunch, wishful thinking or whatever you want to call it. KF didn't give us the luxury of seeing him much last season. We have heard nothing but good about him though. We do know this, he has a Big Ten Build and speed...a combination the other 2 don't. And we know Weisman can't out run anyone nor juke. And we know Canzeri can out run guys, but probably won't hold up an entire game unless he's put on a lot of lbs to absorb the hits. I think many of us would at least like to see him have the opportunity to be the #1 during the first two weeks. If he doesn't grab it, we know what Weisman is and can adjust if needed.

The thing about little guys like JC is that they usually don't take the big hits straight on, thus they don't get dinged up they way a Weisman does.

Also, I really don't think that Daniels is that much faster than Mark. He is just a more natural runner.

If I had to wager a guess, speedwise it would be JC, Bullock, Dainels, and then Mark. I would also bet the difference between Bullock and Daniels is greater than the difference between Daniels and Mark.

We have seen time and time again the backs that are most successful in our running game are Tue ones that can wait for a hole to open and then burst through it.

At the beginning of the year last year, the only back that waited for the hole was Mark. JC got much better as the year went on, but started the year running into the back s of our oline. Daniels did this as well. Bullock, he just jetted for the edge almost every run.

The problem is you can't always run inside with Mark and outside with JC. That is called being predictable, something that everyone accuses our coaches of being.

Is this the year we see a more explosive Iowa offense. We've heard the talk since he arrived. I believe we have the talent across the entire offense now. We don't have a ton of starting experience in the receiving corps but we do have a lot of players who've played for awhile and we have some speed in the wide receivers. It also seems like Kirk Ferentz is going to use Canzeri more in the rushing game. What do you think the offense will be like this year?

He drove Texas fans crazy with the horizontal and they had more athletes at skill positions on their meh teams than Iowa does this year.

Kirk has pulled the football away from this Charlie Brown too many times on offense for me to buy it until I see it.

I really can't put it into words and my point is not validated by what I'm saying. Daniels just passes the eye test for me. It's not any one thing but the whole package that he showed as a true freshman. I'm guessing most of us on here have had a player we've seen and that player was going to be good. My eye test is far from a good bet but that is all I'm saying. Do you see something that you think will keep him from being a good back or have you not seen enough of him up to this point in order to think he will be good.

It is not that I have seen anything that couldn't be explained by the fact that he was a true freshman, so no I haven't seen anything bad - except I think all young guys need to learn how to protect the ball and run at the same time.

He had a few decent runs and more not so decent. That is why he had the lowest average yard per carry.

Given time, he will develop well. Hopefully the spring and summer was enough time, we'll see.

I am just getting a feeling of a lot of hype with little basis than "he looks the part."

The hype is almost on the Nico Law scale at this point.

Not if KF has any say in the matter.

I laugh that this is even a question.

While the offense will be a bit better due to the Qb being more experienced Iowa only has and only will ever have a good offense when they can run the ball at will as long Fetentz as the coach.

Guys who want to play slow ultra low risk football rarely have good offenses unless they have incredible talent.

Greg Davis doesn't call the shots.

Latest posts