Is this the year we see a Greg Davis offense produce big?

He drove Texas fans crazy with the horizontal and they had more athletes at skill positions on their meh teams than Iowa does this year.

Kirk has pulled the football away from this Charlie Brown too many times on offense for me to buy it until I see it.

Yep, it's going to be a whole lot of stretch plays to Wiesman and low risk pass plays to the sidelines with little chance of YAC.

Davis will get to add in a few longer pass plays a game to Willies, Powell ect especially early on but once the conference gets going it will be KF business as usual.

Lots of kicks.

Yep, I am sure he tells Davis all the time not to run that play that gets a lot of yards and works all the time because he prefers to punt.

No, he tells him these are the plays that we run and that you are allowed to call because they have a low chance of resulting in turnovers.

Daniels got more than a couple series last year. Daniels got 36 carries last year in 7 different games. He had every opportunity that Canzeri had in the first 6 games to move up the depth chart. In fact against Ohio state, Daniels played and Canzeri did not. It was not until the Wisconsin game that it became clear the coaches decided to give Canzeri more playing time over Daniels, and by the Purdue game, Canzeri had passed Bullock too.

Look, maybe I was a little harsh when I said Daniels did nothing to deserve his playing time, but he clearly had his chances in 2013 and showed he was not ready yet to assume a bigger role. Hopefully he will improve enough this year to prove me wrong.

He drove Texas fans crazy with the horizontal and they had more athletes at skill positions on their meh teams than Iowa does this year.

Kirk has pulled the football away from this Charlie Brown too many times on offense for me to buy it until I see it.

Would have to agree as history has a tendency to repeat itself. It's a philosophy that some coaches have and it's hard for an old dog to learn a new trick. We have seen this same mindset over at Penn State for years. Always felt we would be in those games as old Joe would be very conservative and controlling. Joe would not open the offense unless he absolutely had to. Should sound very familiar to Iowa fans. I hope I am wrong and Greg can show us a more explosive offense. Not betting the farm on it. KF's chief philosophy is that the best defense is a slow controlling deliberate offense...... Keeps our defense off the field....... Excluding three and outs. :(. Please surprise us this fall coach...... PLEEEEase!!!

Or, is this the question..."Is this the year Iowa's defense produces big?"....I think it is, but, hey, that's just me....monster d-line will make more things happen and take a little pressure off the newbies at LB...I have a feeling we'll all be surprised....

Thanks for the reality check....and reminding me.

Time to realize that, at Iowa, it is about the game within the game...its all about getting first downs.....a succession of first downs until they get inside FG range then hope they get another 1st down and then another and then hope nobody jumps off sides inside the 10 and hope they score a TD. This year, I'll (finally) sit back and know its coming.

When it takes so many plays to score...its no wonder that KF insists on flawless execution. Norms Defenses were (in part) predicated on the fact that eventually a college offense will shoot its self in the foot if they run enough plays. And they usually did. And Iowa's usually does.

Thanks for the reality check....and reminding me.

Time to realize that, at Iowa, it is about the game within the game...its all about getting first downs.....a succession of first downs until they get inside FG range then hope they get another 1st down and then another and then hope nobody jumps off sides inside the 10 and hope they score a TD. This year, I'll (finally) sit back and know its coming.

When it takes so many plays to score...its no wonder that KF insists on flawless execution. Norms Defenses were (in part) predicated on the fact that eventually a college offense will shoot its self in the foot if they run enough plays. And they usually did. And Iowa's usually does.

Actually, this isn't quite accurate. The strongest Iowa teams scored by ripping off huge chunks of yardage. Whether it was Clark running down the sidelines against Purdue, Russell or Greene breaking off long runs. McNutt, DJK, CJ, Solomon, turning a short completion into a big gain, the dominant Hawk offenses, remember those?, have been a mix of ball control and a handful of big gains. In fact the teams that haven't converted the big plays are the ones that have struggled, regardless of the success of the ball control run game. The reason this is the case is exactly what you have identified - long ball control drives get derailed easily.

So, Iowa is NOT just ball control. It is ball control and opportunistic big strikes.

Daniels got more than a couple series last year. Daniels got 36 carries last year in 7 different games. He had every opportunity that Canzeri had in the first 6 games to move up the depth chart. In fact against Ohio state, Daniels played and Canzeri did not. It was not until the Wisconsin game that it became clear the coaches decided to give Canzeri more playing time over Daniels, and by the Purdue game, Canzeri had passed Bullock too.

Look, maybe I was a little harsh when I said Daniels did nothing to deserve his playing time, but he clearly had his chances in 2013 and showed he was not ready yet to assume a bigger role. Hopefully he will improve enough this year to prove me wrong.

There were 6 games he didn't get a touch in. Only one of the 7 he did get a touch in did he carry more than 6 times. How on earth can you get a feel for the game or any sort of rhythm with 3 or 4 carries? Looking at most of these it would be one series at most in a game. My point was how can you garner he had a lot of opportunities with such sporadic limited touches? FWIW, the 3 games he got 5 or more touches in he averaged 4.41 ypc which ain't too bad. But main point is he was a freshman, that's fine he didn't get more touches last year, but I think most of us who like him on this board feel with another year under his belt combined with the little we saw of him we think he can be a vital part of the offense this year.

Actually, this isn't quite accurate. The strongest Iowa teams scored by ripping off huge chunks of yardage. Whether it was Clark running down the sidelines against Purdue, Russell or Greene breaking off long runs. McNutt, DJK, CJ, Solomon, turning a short completion into a big gain, the dominant Hawk offenses, remember those?, have been a mix of ball control and a handful of big gains. In fact the teams that haven't converted the big plays are the ones that have struggled, regardless of the success of the ball control run game. The reason this is the case is exactly what you have identified - long ball control drives get derailed easily.

So, Iowa is NOT just ball control. It is ball control and opportunistic big strikes.

I know what you are getting at...still I was frustrated even in some of those years watching this plodding offense hanging 17 to 24 points on opponents - opponents who Wisconsin was scoring 35+ against.

I don't know if we need to be explosive but we at least need to be able to make people pay for putting 8 or 9 in the box.

I don't see any resemblance to the Texas offense here with what GD is doing here at Iowa. If you look at last year, the passing game was predicated off play action, waggle, etc., just like it always was under KOK.

I was pretty outspoken in my criticism of GD's offense in his first year, but he really backed off those quick hitter, 3 yard pass stuff last year. Sure he would do that occasionally, but he really brought back the KOK play action passing game last year. I think he can improve even more, and continue the play action to keep teams honest, and then work in those 3 yard passes, that the WR makes a move and can gain 5-10 yards. Those are great plays on 1st down when teams are expecting run from us.

I think we will know a lot more after this year on how GD is working at Iowa. I have been impressed how fast he as gotten play makers on campus, now lets see what he can do with them.

I don't see any resemblance to the Texas offense here with what GD is doing here at Iowa. If you look at last year, the passing game was predicated off play action, waggle, etc., just like it always was under KOK.

I was pretty outspoken in my criticism of GD's offense in his first year, but he really backed off those quick hitter, 3 yard pass stuff last year. Sure he would do that occasionally, but he really brought back the KOK play action passing game last year. I think he can improve even more, and continue the play action to keep teams honest, and then work in those 3 yard passes, that the WR makes a move and can gain 5-10 yards. Those are great plays on 1st down when teams are expecting run from us.

I think we will know a lot more after this year on how GD is working at Iowa. I have been impressed how fast he as gotten play makers on campus, now lets see what he can do with them.

I don't think Davis had much say in going back to the old iowa offense.

It just proved who the architect of the offense was prior to Davis and who it is now.

I don't think Davis had much say in going back to the old iowa offense.

It just proved who the architect of the offense was prior to Davis and who it is now.

Very good points. That and I think it is very easy to see if you are going to play a power running game, that play action just flat out works with that....whereas throwing a bunch of 2 yard passes just puts 10 defensive players closer to the LOS.

That pretty much says it all.

There were 6 games he didn't get a touch in. Only one of the 7 he did get a touch in did he carry more than 6 times. How on earth can you get a feel for the game or any sort of rhythm with 3 or 4 carries? Looking at most of these it would be one series at most in a game. My point was how can you garner he had a lot of opportunities with such sporadic limited touches? FWIW, the 3 games he got 5 or more touches in he averaged 4.41 ypc which ain't too bad. But main point is he was a freshman, that's fine he didn't get more touches last year, but I think most of us who like him on this board feel with another year under his belt combined with the little we saw of him we think he can be a vital part of the offense this year.
I don't understand why they even burned his shirt for as little action as he saw. Chalk it up to a mistrust of Canzeri at the time, I guess.

I don't understand why they even burned his shirt for as little action as he saw. Chalk it up to a mistrust of Canzeri at the time, I guess.

Yeah just seemed to really not trust either guy and played it safe. After LD fumbled the one time it was over.

I remember an interview with Davis where he described the meeting of the minds between him and Ferentz. They sought to bring in elements of Davis' passing attack and combine it with KF's standard zone blocking run game. They talked it through to determine if it was possible, they thought it was doable and they decided to get married.

So obviously KF is the boss and gets what he wants at a high level. The unpacking and methods of achieving that strategic formula is Davis' job. The position coaching teach techniques and play by play execution. And I'm sure they all collaborate.

Yeah just seemed to really not trust either guy and played it safe. After LD fumbled the one time it was over.
This is the correct answer. KF will not take a chance of turning the ball over. LD has not redeemed himself in KF's eyes. We are not privy to the daily practices but there is a good possibility that LD is not taking care of the ball there either. Doesn't matter that Daniels is the prototypical Ferentz "ride that horse" RB. It's all about trust w/ KF. Bogeyman has hit the nail right on the head w/ this comment.

That said there is a really good chance that the O will be more efficient this year. They will need to be because the D will not start the year off playing lights out. The chemistry we had a linebacking in 2013 takes time to develop.

The schedule should allow the D to catch up w/ the O. I suspect that the raw talent GD is working w/ will gel rather quickly into a very efficient unit. Hopefully the Hawks will be able to ride this O to some early victories giving the D time to get it together as a unit.

4 ppg would have won us one more game in 2013. If the Hawkeyes can get that out of this year's O and we see the D work their way to holding opponents to 3 ppg less then we could reasonably expect a 10 win season.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...wQFjAG&usg=AFQjCNEsLa8MeqVgf1kjbb-DH4F0EjXtaQ

This in-depth analysis from 2011 suggests Iowa is going back to the KOK offense, which was actually a pretty high scoring underRated offense in 2011. Used 3 WR sets a lot.

Also shows how the FB was not used as much as we all thought. The use of multiple formations was alive and well in 2011.

looking at this analysis from 2011 and how Iowa has reverted back to it again just tells you what a waste 2012 was.

Latest posts