IS THIS THE START OF THE ANNUAL SLIDE?

As others have mentioned, what happened the other night at Purdue has happened to others prior to our game. Up until now, Purdue has been inept on the road. Today, they beat Indiana on the road by 12 points. Besides Maryland, they might be playing the best ball right now in the conference.

As others have mentioned, what happened the other night at Purdue has happened to others prior to our game. Up until now, Purdue has been inept on the road. Today, they beat Indiana on the road by 12 points. Besides Maryland, they might be playing the best ball right now in the conference.
Well, they can sure thank Iowa for the confidence boost.:D

p
Certainly depth is a major issue now and will be down the road. The Purdue blowout is another story with little to do with depth. One issue we have that has not been mentioned much is that we start 2 freshmen, 2 sophomores, and 1 junior. Young teams at times just fail to show up. Experience counts, big time. I think the Purdue game might have showcased the experience factor along with some mentally and physically tired players. We will beat NB today.

The age doesnt matter at this point. Fran s teams historically are vulnerable to this. Also there are seniors in the ncaa that are CM s age.

Last edited:
p

The age doesnt matter at this point. Fran s teams historically are vulnerable to this. Also there are seniors in the ncaa that are CF s age.
Fran has to exorcise that demon-and make it to the weekend in the conference tournament.

Actually we've had a couple years (15 and 17) where we played OK down the stretch and won some key conference road games. But we had a killer home loss to Illinois late in 17 that probably kept us out of the NCAA'S and the historic fades have more than evened out the strong finishes in the eyes of many.

There are no nights off in this conference. Maybe that's why we haven't won a regular season conference title in forty years.

That is just an amazing stat if you want to call it a stat or call it a historical fact.

I barely remember reading and seeing a little DSM Register Big Peach about the hawks of the late 1950s. My oldest brother was a freshman at ISU in 1958 and he talked about them playing bball against Wilt Chamberlain.

But by the early to mid 1960's I was following the hawks who had some really great teams as did Drake and ISU. To think that Miller's 1968 and 1970 teams and one of Lute's teams were the last to win conf titles is amazing and sad.

I know there are some big time Bball blue bloods in the league but you would think the hawks would break thru just one time in 40 years. But it is hard and Lute had some great Arizona teams that won the Pac 10 but failed miserably in the tourney.

If everyone stays and JBo has a great season maybe next year is the year as I still think a regular season championship is the real measure of the champion and harder than the tourney.

p

The age doesnt matter at this point. Fran s teams historically are vulnerable to this. Also there are seniors in the ncaa that are CM s age.

Well, I am shocked that my perfectly reasonable comment about young teams was attacked with your usual nonsense. Have you been watching BB for the last 25 years and heard or read all of the views on how young teams perform?

Well, I am shocked that my perfectly reasonable comment about young teams was attacked with your usual nonsense. Have you been watching BB for the last 25 years and heard or read all of the views on how young teams perform?

You read into my comment.

That said in todays world of Tyler Cooks, being an upper classman doesnt meant the same as 25 years ago. CM will be 5 months. He is older than I was when I graduated university. JT will be 20 this fall. JW is in his 2nd major year abd will soon be 21.

CF will be 21 in 5 months.

Age wise this is not a young team.

I would guess by the calendar this is not a young team.

Now who attacked who?

https://hawkeyenation.com/forum/members/huckfinn.80673/
HuckFinn said:
Certainly depth is a major issue now and will be down the road. The Purdue blowout is another story with little to do with depth. One issue we have that has not been mentioned much is that we start 2 freshmen, 2 sophomores, and 1 junior. Young teams at times just fail to show up. Experience counts, big time. I think the Purdue game might have showcased the experience factor along with some mentally and physically tired players

HawkGold said:
You read into my comment.

That said in todays world of Tyler Cooks, being an upper classman doesnt meant the same as 25 years ago. CM will be 5 months. He is older than I was when I graduated university. JT will be 20 this fall. JW is in his 2nd major year abd will soon be 21.

Age wise this is not a young team.

Now who attacked who?
You did, of course, that's what straw man arguments are.

You read into his comment because you wanted to disagree with him instead of just add a comment because of some anecdotal personal experience that you always put in a post you want to detract from.
Typical M.O. of yours.

There is a difference between age and experience.

Now go on. Give an anecdotal personal story where you coached the Kryzakistani jr high soccer team that hung with the Russian men's national team which proves age and experience and gender mean nothing.

You did, of course, that's what straw man arguments are.

You read into his comment because you wanted to disagree with him instead of just add a comment because of some anecdotal personal experience that you always put in a post you want to detract from.
Typical M.O. of yours.

There is a difference between age and experience.

Now go on. Give an anecdotal personal story where you coached the Kryzakistani jr high soccer team that hung with the Russian men's national team which proves age and experience and gender mean nothing.

DD you are never far away. They ve been around BB for a long time.

Simply put, the experience thing doesnt really matter and its its not strawman.

Iowa by age us not young. They arent a group if experienced seniors either.

Mist of what we all post is anecdotal. Age is not. 20 yo s are different that 18 yo s. Bates Diopp was 18 for most if his first season.

Sometimes you just want to fight. I get that. Just bring your A game with facts. I presented facts. Iow is not. young. Garza and J W will likely never play 4 years. Its the way it is.

We have an all american this year. Hope it isnt floundered

What alt will you come back with?

Mist of what we all post is anecdotal. Age is not. 20 yo s are different that 18 yo s. Bates Diopp was 18 for most if his first season.

Sometimes you just want to fight. I get that. Just bring your A game with facts. I presented facts. Iow is not. young. Garza and J W will likely never play 4 years. Its the way it is.

Here is some sage advice from an old guy...”Gold, when you look down and your horse is dead, dismount.”

Here is some sage advice from an old guy...”Gold, when you look down and your horse is dead, dismount.”

Oh...thx for the advice. I loved my horse.

How old are you? We talking Ralph Miller era or older? BW TV and no air or nor water. We really should have met up at Hannabal. :rolleyes:

I do believe that Fatigue was the main reason we were schooled at Purdue

Also, they would have beaten any team in America that night

We shall see

I personally have confidence in these guys

They have an attitude and spirit that not many Hawk teams have ever had

It's All Good

42af79a24cb829f137626cbf704a61a5c35eac46r1-297-200_00.gif

:cool:

CJ mentioned that the two practices Iowa had before the Nebraska game were two of the best they have had all year.

I think fatigue is a factor for all of the teams now. And the home teams keep winning....Wisconsin pretty much blew out Ohio state today in Madison.

Iowa needs to win 2 or 3 of the remaining home games and steal one on the road. All 7 remaining games are Quad 1 games. It isn't going to be easy.

I think your right, come to think of it I usually slide down my driveway this time of year. I guess it is an annual thing...that reminds me I have to get salt.

We shall see

They have an attitude and

We shall see

They have an attitude and spirit that not many Hawk teams have ever had

It's All Good

42af79a24cb829f137626cbf704a61a5c35eac46r1-297-200_00.gif

:cool:
Yes.Let's Play the Game.Teams tough to Beat. And A Real force inside. Go Hawks..

You keep bringing up that we have a probable All American and that it would be a shame to waste his year. And you seem adamant that a conference title is where the bar must be set to avoid wasting Luka's year.

Here's a possibility. What if we are a tenth place team without Luka? And he is doing a hell of a job to take a team with obvious shortcomings, heavy personnel losses, and tough injuries, put said team on his back, and have us solidly in the upper division.

As great as Luka has been, it is not as easy to put a team on one's back in the post as it would be for a Carsen Edwards type player. I'm just enjoying his time at Iowa while I still can.

You keep bringing up that we have a probable All American and that it would be a shame to waste his year. And you seem adamant that a conference title is where the bar must be set to avoid wasting Luka's year.

Here's a possibility. What if we are a tenth place team without Luka? And he is doing a hell of a job to take a team with obvious shortcomings, heavy personnel losses, and tough injuries, put said team on his back, and have us solidly in the upper division.

As great as Luka has been, it is not as easy to put a team on one's back in the post as it would be for a Carsen Edwards type player. I'm just enjoying his time at Iowa while I still can.

Some if you seem to like mediocrity. This team as is can win the Big. Im enjoying it as much as anyone. Take your gripes to Stanzi. I didnt like the Purdue game. HF would gave liked it Because of a lack of dominant Big teams.. its very winnable. There are some things that could have slowed purdue. Those werent done. Its fundamental. Fran struggles with fundamentals Lose by 20 it happens. Never should a team lose a circus show unless they just quit.

Whats the issue w analyzing.

Latest posts