IS THIS THE START OF THE ANNUAL SLIDE?

I know players are conditioned to say the right things after a loss, and this is no exception, but I felt, reading some of their comments, there was more than the standard, we need to play better answers. Wieskamp commented on how disappointed he was in his effort. Garza said there were "zero positives" from this game. Kriener commented on how this happened back when he was a sophomore and said that they're not going in that direction this year. Talk is cheap, I get that, but I think they realized there are no nights off in the Big Ten. Purdue could have given a shit that Iowa just beaten Illinois and won 6 of the last 7. Indiana and Minnesota will feel the same way when the Hawks go there.

I’m looking at the team possibly going 2-6 the rest of the way, with chances to win at home against Nebraska and maybe The Ohio State University. Not seeing anything winnable on the road.

Hold on. Could be a rough ride ahead.
If we go 2-6, there's a strong chance we don't make the NCAA. Fran's legacy would literally be the Fran Fade no matter what the stats actually show.

Really for the first time this season, I thought the team looked physically and mentally tired. They also just have not really shot the ball very well the past few games. It would also be nice if someone, anyone can provide any kind scoring off the bench. But I'm not sure how realistic that is with the short rotation. I fear the early season injuries might be starting to catch up.
Bench...
Kriener? possibly
Evelyn? not so much
Pemsl? Oh hell no
Cant do much about it at this point. Need to sprinkle in these guys minutes in short stretches. With the number of time outs in a game there is no reason the starters dont play more. Please no more goofy line ups of Pemsl, Kriener, CMac, Evelyn, Riley Till.

Didn’t read this entire thread but I think this game should be put in perspective.
Purdue hammered Virginia (defending ncaa champs and a slow tempo team) and Michigan State (Michigan State!) both by 29 points. We played poorly but Purdue is a really, really good team at Mackey. Not sure what their problem is on the road, though.

I think Iowa wins out at home and will steal 1 from either the Gophers or Indiana. 5-3
That's a best case scenario, I hope so. I don't think Iowa slips up at home, but some ugly losses ahead at MSU, Minnesota, and Illinois. Hopefully we steal a road win and not have a team like OSU steal one from us.

I know players are conditioned to say the right things after a loss, and this is no exception, but I felt, reading some of their comments, there was more than the standard, we need to play better answers. Wieskamp commented on how disappointed he was in his effort. Garza said there were "zero positives" from this game. Kriener commented on how this happened back when he was a sophomore and said that they're not going in that direction this year. Talk is cheap, I get that, but I think they realized there are no nights off in the Big Ten. Purdue could have given a shit that Iowa just beaten Illinois and won 6 of the last 7. Indiana and Minnesota will feel the same way when the Hawks go there.
Minny really felt that they gave the game away to Iowa. Minny will not miss all those threes at home.

Our schedule at the end of the year is and always was way tougher than our early schedule. I would absolutely take 4-4 for the remaining 8 games. That doesn’t mean we are sliding it just means are schedule is a lot tougher at the end f the year than it was at the beginning of the conference slate.

4-4 or better would be just fine. Tough finishing slate

If we go 2-6, there's a strong chance we don't make the NCAA. Fran's legacy would literally be the Fran Fade no matter what the stats actually show.
This is what concerns me. The rest of our schedule is really tough. The team that some dreamer wrote could be a dark horse to win the national championship possibly won’t even make the tournament.

Purdue played like a desperate team fighting for its postseason lives. They played with intensity from the opening possession.

We played like we thought we deserved a night off.

There are no nights off in this conference. Maybe that's why we haven't won a regular season conference title in forty years.

Who knows how practices went on Monday and Tuesday.

And you are absolutely correct. If anything, Minnesota and Indiana will be even more desperate when we play there.

It's a fair question. This teams lack of depth is going to matter at some point. It wouldn't shock me at all the see them stumble a bit down the stretch THIS year at all. That said, I imagine it will be like most of the season has gone. This team has really responded to losses well.

We really need Kreiner and Evelyn to be useful. We know Pemsl won't be. We might be better served slowing down the game so our starters can play as many minutes as possible.
I agree we 'need' them to be. But I'm not betting on it are you? Kreiner can be ok at times. I think he's had 3 really good games. But that's about it. Evelyn has had 1 good game where we won because of him. Other then that he's hardly contributed. So I'm not getting my hopes up too high for that as much as it's needed.

I will feel better when/if they beat Nebraska. I know the Huskers are down but Hoiberg has had this program's number

I agree we 'need' them to be. But I'm not betting on it are you? Kreiner can be ok at times. I think he's had 3 really good games. But that's about it. Evelyn has had 1 good game where we won because of him. Other then that he's hardly contributed. So I'm not getting my hopes up too high for that as much as it's needed.

No, no I'm not lol. Unfortunately I don't like the chances of it happening. A guy can dream though!

I will feel better when/if they beat Nebraska. I know the Huskers are down but Hoiberg has had this program's number

I'm right there with ya. Gotta get that win in the books before I feel fully confident on making the tournament. If we somehow lose that one, pretty much all margins of error is gone to just win the ones we're supposed to and still get in.

Latest posts